Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple's OLED vs. LCD: Which is better/clearer?

• OLED

Votes: 137 69.2%
  • LCD

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Depends (explain)

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

tallrob

Suspended
Jan 14, 2020
Anyway, I'm answering a poll with my professional opinion. I don't get why people are so insecure that they need to challenge other people's opinions. If a professional audio engineer told me they preferred one hifi setup over another, I'd respect their opinion. As far as I can tell OLEDs are like the Bose speakers of screen panels. You'll never find OLEDs in professional color reference monitors.
[automerge]1579476262[/automerge]
And I'll never want a phone that needs special "care" to avoid burn-in. Again, just my preference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...oblems-oled-display-price-specs/#51f9dd73958d

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Anyway, I'm answering a poll with my professional opinion. I don't get why people are so insecure that they need to challenge other people's opinions. If a professional audio engineer told me they preferred one hifi setup over another, I'd respect their opinion. As far as I can tell OLEDs are like the Bose speakers of screen panels. You'll never find OLEDs in professional color reference monitors.
[automerge]1579476262[/automerge]
And I'll never want a phone that needs special "care" to avoid burn-in. Again, just my preference. https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...oblems-oled-display-price-specs/#51f9dd73958d
OLED has some clear advantages over lcd. The ship has sailed with lcd being a mainstay in mobile phones. And burn-in in 2020 doesn’t seem to be much of an issue.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
At any rate... It's time to let go of LCD. It's had a great run, but technologically speaking it's run is over.

Anyone is doing themselves a disservice trying to hold on.

What about people who suffer from PWM? Not to mention Apple doesn’t at this point provide OLED in a device under £1k. It’s Apple that is stopping the mainstream getting OLED, not people ‘doing themselves a disservice’. The LCD panels Apple use are great and if they were crap then I’d see your point.

tallrob

Suspended
Jan 14, 2020
OLED has some clear advantages over lcd. The ship has sailed with lcd being a mainstay in mobile phones. And burn-in in 2020 doesn’t seem to be much of an issue.
And LCD has some clear advantages. That’s why we have both. That’s why there’s an opinion poll. And that’s why some people prefer one over the other.

But some people need their choice to be the absolute best and only choice, otherwise they’re afraid they made the wrong decision. So they’ll fight irrationally to prove the other is wrong, when clearly both have advantages subject to a person’s needs. Pretty sad.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And LCD has some clear advantages. That’s why we have both. That’s why there’s an opinion poll. And that’s why some people prefer one over the other.

But some people need their choice to be the absolute best and only choice, otherwise they’re afraid they made the wrong decision. So they’ll fight irrationally to prove the other is wrong, when clearly both have advantages subject to a person’s needs. Pretty sad.
If rumors are correct, next year at Apple there’s not going to be a choice in the main iPhone lineup anyway. iPads, macs, Se, etc will still be lcd.

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019

Out of interest how many people do you know that has had burn in on a oled iPhone, not from some googled magazine story?

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If rumors are correct, next year at Apple there’s not going to be a choice in the main iPhone lineup anyway. iPads, macs, Se, etc will still be lcd.

Apple need to sort out their OLED screens then if that is the case as the flickering is preventing a section of the market from buying their product. I’m assuming they’ve managed to get costs down if it’s being extended to all products too.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
Difference only shows in dark mode in a dark environment, the you can see the LCD bleed light. During the day they are close in terms of color and brightness.

forestinjersey

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
LCD is fine, I have had OLED, POLED and LCD screens (not POLED on iPhone) and I really can't see the difference in day to day use but then I have never been a pixel peeper. For average Joe/Jo uses LCD is fine.

PeteS1963

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Digging up an old post and old poll, but I'm only now needing to upgrade my old iPhone, so this is a relevant topic for me. I'm a pro photographer. I look at colors all day long, and get really super duper picky about temperature, hue, color contrast, and overall accuracy based on lots of different factors. Maybe I'm just used to the way LCDs appear and function, but to me OLEDs look completely unnatural, especially when I compare them to real life colors (in which there's no "true" black, lol). It's a shame people are so used to the over-sharpened, over-saturated colors from their monster TVs, but I always suspect they must be disappointed with the natural world after calibrating their eyes to their unnatural televisions. I'm guessing it's those folks who want the OLED phones.

I'm glad Apple is still making an LCD iPhone. I'm going to go with an 11.

I take a lot of nature based photographs and I find something similar. It is a personal thing but I think a lot of people have become use to the over saturated world of the likes of instagram. Although OLED has other advantages. Go with what you find best for your needs.

Glideslope

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Sounds like I made the right choice with getting the 11 now. I keep my phones until they're dead.

Precisely why I sold my 8+ Last November and purchased an 11 in order to ensure another 3-4 years of an LCD. Granted at the time there was not all this information on the upcoming iPhone 9. Although it looks like the large 8+ size will be a 2021 device so I’m ok. I’ve adjusted to Face ID even though I still prefer Touch ID. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.