Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple's OLED vs. LCD: Which is better/clearer?

• OLED

Votes: 137 69.2%
  • LCD

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • Depends (explain)

Votes: 11 5.6%

• Total voters

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It sounds like some people might be making a personal justification for choosing the LCD over OLED, because it's cheaper, perhaps convincing themselves the LCD is better because they didn't want to pay 1+ grand for the OLEDs and feel like they have a 2nd rate phone. Simple fact is if the LCD screens are superior Apple would have never put them in their flagship phones in the first place. So whose correct, the ones saying LCD is better, or Apple who puts in the OLEDs with R&D in the billions?
Apple spent billions and some of us don’t care either way whether our phones have OLED or LCD lol. If I ever find myself down the pub arguing over who’s mobile phone screen is crisper than the other then it will be time for me to reevaluate my life. This is why I find these topics amazing as they get deeper and deeper into pointless justification lol.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Open Netflix in a low light environment on both OLED and LCD phones and the superiority of OLED is immediately shown.

That being said, I do experience a bit more eye strain using my X vs the 7+ I had before it but the pros of OLED outweigh the cons for me and it’s what I prefer.

Reactions: darksithpro

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I feel these comparisons are fruitless. The OLED has some obvious advantages and a few disadvantages, but on the whole is regarded as a better overall screen, resolution and pixel wars aside. Coming from an iPhone 7 Plus, and a 6S Plus before that, and a 6 Plus before that, basically using Plus iPhones for the last 4 years, I’ve not noticed hardly any difference between those 401 PPI screens and the 326 PPI of my XR. The truth is, nobody uses LCD and OLED iPhones side by side daily, so I’m not sure what the big fuss is. I’m particularly puzzled with the feigned outcry over the XR specs being subpar and not worthy of a flagship. It’s a XS in every way except LCD screen vs OLED, no 3D Touch (but quite good implementation so far of Haptic Touch, which has already been expanded to lock screen notifications), no zoom lens, and 1GB less RAM. The LCD is quite good, Haptic Touch works great where it works, zoom lens doesn’t work well in low light, and because it’s a lower resolution LCD display, the 1GB of RAM isn’t needed, and likely won’t be for at least a few years.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
It sounds like some people might be making a personal justification for choosing the LCD over OLED, because it's cheaper, perhaps convincing themselves the LCD is better because they didn't want to pay 1+ grand for the OLEDs and feel like they have a 2nd rate phone. Simple fact is if the LCD screens are superior Apple would have never put them in their flagship phones in the first place. So whose correct, the ones saying LCD is better, or Apple who puts in the OLEDs with R&D in the billions?
Some maybe.. in my case I had the XS, can afford the XSM but chose the XR. XS is perfect ‘size’ but I prefer the LCD and chose battery life over smaller size.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
We are talking about a 5 or 6 inch screen... It's comical that anyone could see any difference at all. OLED is noticeable when you are comparing big screen TV's, say a 65" or larger, the blacks are true black there is no light being shown. But on a 5 or 6 inch screen its nothing more than the placebo effect. You guys are seeing things.

Some can look at specs and call a winner, but side by side, it's debatable.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
We are talking about a 5 or 6 inch screen... It's comical that anyone could see any difference at all. OLED is noticeable when you are comparing big screen TV's, say a 65" or larger, the blacks are true black there is no light being shown. But on a 5 or 6 inch screen its nothing more than the placebo effect. You guys are seeing things.

Some can look at specs and call a winner, but side by side, it's debatable.

It isn't debatable, there is factual proof based upon the technology used. It's more comical that someone could universally say you can't tell and it's a placebo. Esp. with a device that you hold close to your face.

When you bring financial differences into this about it mattering or not, sure. Spending $250+ is debatable, but not whether you can tell or not. If people can easily see all of the shortcomings of either technology, how could they not see the positives as well?

It's harder to tell for some, since many are used to viewing LCD iPhone screens.

Last edited:

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
It isn't debatable, there is factual proof based upon the technology used. It's more comical that someone could universally say you can't tell and it's a placebo. Esp. with a device that you hold close to your face.

When you bring financial differences into this about it mattering or not, sure. Spending $250+ is debatable, but not whether you can tell or not. If people can easily see all of the shortcomings of either technology, how could they not see the positives as well?

It's harder to tell for some, since many are used to viewing LCD iPhone screens.

Your response sites cost and proof based on technology as reasons for the OLED being better. My point exactly. Did not see any mention of you actually looking at the two phones side by side and forming an opinion based on actual use.

Reactions: tallrob

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I prefer OLED due to the true blacks and higher contrast ratio. That being said if I'm looking at an LCD by itself, it looks just fine. Just is superior in my eyes when you look at both together.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Your response sites cost and proof based on technology as reasons for the OLED being better. My point exactly. Did not see any mention of you actually looking at the two phones side by side and forming an opinion based on actual use.
My point in the other thread about comparing lcd Vs oled in other than direct sunlight while wearing sunglasses. I compared my max against my wifes 7 and there are advantages and disadvantages to both, with better display going to oled.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
My point in the other thread about comparing lcd Vs oled in other than direct sunlight while wearing sunglasses. I compared my max against my wifes 7 and there are advantages and disadvantages to both, with better display going to oled.

Fair enough. I compared the XS to the XR. Could not see any real difference.

If its any consolation, my wife came from the 7 plus to the XR and says the XR screen looks better.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Real question: How many of you are wearing high refraction glasses?
I think OLED looks better with my glasses on but LCD looks better without glasses.
I cannot really explain why.

I believe that the backlight filtered through the screen looks different with glasses.
I really like the OLED, but maybe it's just less refracted?

Maybe my remarks don't make sense, This is purely subjective.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011

Please reread my post. I didn't say anything about cost proving anything about the quality. I very clearly stated the price differences being worth it are what is debatable, not the quality differences ('Spending $250+ is debatable, but not whether you can tell or not').

I have already stated my comments about my thoughts on both displays in this thread, but given your "placebo" comment, I thought that was irrelevant to bring up again.

tallrob

Suspended
Jan 14, 2020
Digging up an old post and old poll, but I'm only now needing to upgrade my old iPhone, so this is a relevant topic for me. I'm a pro photographer. I look at colors all day long, and get really super duper picky about temperature, hue, color contrast, and overall accuracy based on lots of different factors. Maybe I'm just used to the way LCDs appear and function, but to me OLEDs look completely unnatural, especially when I compare them to real life colors (in which there's no "true" black, lol). It's a shame people are so used to the over-sharpened, over-saturated colors from their monster TVs, but I always suspect they must be disappointed with the natural world after calibrating their eyes to their unnatural televisions. I'm guessing it's those folks who want the OLED phones.

I'm glad Apple is still making an LCD iPhone. I'm going to go with an 11.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Digging up an old post and old poll, but I'm only now needing to upgrade my old iPhone, so this is a relevant topic for me. I'm a pro photographer. I look at colors all day long, and get really super duper picky about temperature, hue, color contrast, and overall accuracy based on lots of different factors. Maybe I'm just used to the way LCDs appear and function, but to me OLEDs look completely unnatural, especially when I compare them to real life colors (in which there's no "true" black, lol). It's a shame people are so used to the over-sharpened, over-saturated colors from their monster TVs, but I always suspect they must be disappointed with the natural world after calibrating their eyes to their unnatural televisions. I'm guessing it's those folks who want the OLED phones.

I'm glad Apple is still making an LCD iPhone. I'm going to go with an 11.

Say what? Apple’s implementation of AMOLED is color accuracy perfection! It literally doesn’t get better from automatic color management to the infinite contrast ratio, burn-in mitigation and virtually no black crush. It’s like the best version of a color accurate LCD panel you cold ask for.

tallrob

Suspended
Jan 14, 2020
Say what? Apple’s implementation of AMOLED is color accuracy perfection! It literally doesn’t get better from automatic color management to the infinite contrast ratio, burn-in mitigation and virtually no black crush. It’s like the best version of a color accurate LCD panel you cold ask for.
Well, 27% of the people taking the poll disagree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.