Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Apple, remember when people would line up for blocks to get the latest iPhone? It wasn't because a marketing page convinced them...

Apple sold several millions less iPhones per year back then. And made several more million less iPhones per year back then also.

People line up for scarcity. There is almost zero upside for Apple playing the extreme scarcity game with the iPhone at this point. ( and yes that scarcity play was just as much 'sales marketing' as this webpage. )

Reactions: Riff_Raff

t122648

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2022
I have really been on the fence in upgrading. However, Apple finally convinced me. I upgraded from an SE 2020 to a Samsung Galaxy S24.

Reactions: AstonSmith

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Take a vacation to Hong Kong ;-)

I genuinely wouldn't buy a phone without a physical SIM slot in 2024- I travel a lot, and too many places around the world haven't got with the times yet and don't have eSIMs. I'm glad my UK purchased 15PM has both.
Best of both worlds... I did the same. I hadn't even realised that on the models with a SIM tray you can use two eSIMs if you want. So removing the tray is just crippling functionality. Is it only the US that has no SIM tray at the moment? That's a really bum deal, but I guess it will spread soon, which is one reason I upgraded last year to the 15PM and am ready to keep it for 3 or 4 years now.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

ric22

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2022
Best of both worlds... I did the same. I hadn't even realised that on the models with a SIM tray you can use two eSIMs if you want. So removing the tray is just crippling functionality. Is it only the US that has no SIM tray at the moment? That's a really bum deal, but I guess it will spread soon, which is one reason I upgraded last year to the 15PM and am ready to keep it for 3 or 4 years now.
I don't understand what motivated Apple to do it in the US, and yes, it's only in the US they've done it. It screws Americans that like to travel away from common destinations. Even some highly developed nations are only just beginning to make the eSIM transition. What benefit does it bring? Surely it can't just be about saving 5 cents on the build cost?!

beginnersview

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
SF Bay area
When one the the reasons to upgrade is because the feature (Dynamic Island) is "A magical way to interact with iPhone".
Well, ahh, "magical"? magical?
what does that even mean?
Talk about non-specific, glittering generalities. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Surf Monkey

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
You wish - the Youtubers will just read the article via screen record with themselves cropped in the corner and offer their 'hot takes' as they go.

...Oh god, the next step is them reacting to the comments section of MacRumours.
Reaction videos to this comment section would still be better than the gaming videos that are just someone playing a normal Minecraft or Roblox game and screaming at the top of their lungs the whole time because they don't expect the gameplay to hold anyone's attention. I swear they just record screaming and edit it in. No one can scream that much daily and still retain their voice.

Unless the reaction videos are made the same way 😬

Reactions: Surf Monkey

rumagent

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2008
I upgraded to get the usb-c. That is it. There is no compelling reason to upgrade any further until Apple starts innovating again.

• Disagree
Reactions: _Mitchan1999
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.