Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Let's use this thread to discuss Apple Pay in Germany...

Experiences, developments etc. all in a single thread!

UPDATE: 31.07.2018 - Tim Cook confirmed that Apple Pay will launch later in 2018.
UPDATE: 05.11.2018 - Apple Pay DE site has gone live / showing "coming soon" + launch banks
UPDATE: 11.12.2018 - Apple Pay DE has gone live

--------------------------------------------------------

Supported banks at launch
  • American Express
  • boon. by Wirecard
  • bunq
  • comdirect
  • Deutsche Bank
  • Edenred
  • Fidor Bank
  • Hanseatic Bank
  • HypoVereinsBank
  • N26
  • o2 Banking
  • VIMpay (by Pay Center)
Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 13.41.53.png

Launching "soon" (2019)

Screenshot 2018-12-11 at 14.09.43.png

Last updated: 11.12.2018

--------------------------------------------------------

Official Apple sites:

Last edited:

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
By the way I was trawling the internet looking how the last Apple Pay releases became apparent...

1) Check the official Apple Pay site for any changes (if it comes online, that's always a good sign): http://apple.com/de/apple-pay/ or https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT206637 or https://support.apple.com/de-de/HT207957
2) Some users in Brazil / France were able to register their cards to Apple Pay (via another region) and got through to terms and conditions of their banks. Yet they weren't able to fully add them after that step, so it's worth trying that with some cards every once in a while...
3) Wait for an announcement by Apple (if at all) and check the regular sites such as the tech blogs, but also some of the finance blogs in Germany which have always had some credible information on the topic

EDIT: By the way (this was also topic in another thread) -> I just re-checked the terms and conditions of my local Sparkasse and found a document containing the changes and also overview over the most important changes to the AGB (new version in effect since 13th Jan). Check the screenshots below.
What's the point of making these changes if nothing is planned? Makes no sense otherwise. The "Nutzungsvoraussetzungen und Hinweise für die digitale Sparkassen-Card" would then be shown when adding the card to Apple Pay (similar to accepting the T&Cs by other banks as it is now).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 2.png
    2.png
    269.1 KB · Views: 998
  • 3.png
    3.png
    166 KB · Views: 982
Last edited:
Reactions: PR1985 and Alanin

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
To ur screenshots: I think it’s cause of their own wallet stuff on android. And the terms are written kinda generally so no names platforms. But still interesting

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
To ur screenshots: I think it’s cause of their own wallet stuff on android. And the terms are written kinda generally so no names platforms. But still interesting
Yeah, I also assume for the start of their Android Wallet ("ab Mitte 2018"). But it doesn't state anything specifically and leaves the door open for interpretation/other services.

Put one and one together (this and also a Sparkasse spokeswomen publicly saying they were "very interested" in Apple Pay) and we might be lucky...

Reactions: PR1985

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Lets face it. if Sparkasse again misses the modern form of banking (they did a lot with online banking, credit card already), they will again loose customers. Not only because of apple pay, but I doubt that their own build system will work in foreign countries and thats something people recognize when they first travel somewhere and get problems.
As already stated in the other thread. Try to get a rental card eg. in die US without a credit card, good luck!
Thats where a girocard really does not help you, nevertheless it supports Maestro.

Reactions: Mike0183

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
come on, stop it. we already had this. it's getting ridiculous ... The app supports the GiroCard as well as Sparkassen-CreditCards. And it will work worldwide.

We had the links, the quotes, the information. the ongoing "mimimi... it will never work" just because of private antipathy is getting really boring. And just because it is repeated every few hours or days it's not becoming more true.

here, one of the links
https://www.it-finanzmagazin.de/spa...n-starten-mobile-payment-ab-mitte-2018-58092/

Die Kunden sollen dann (ab Mitte 2018) ihre girocard und Mastercard in der App hinterlegen können. Jede Smartphone-Zahlung wird wie eine herkömmliche Kartenzahlung vom Konto des Kunden abgebucht.

Überall dort, wo kontaktloses Bezahlen heute schon funktioniert, sei auch das Bezahlen mit dem Smartphone möglich. Das gelte auch weltweit.
[doublepost=1518424824][/doublepost]https://www.dsv-gruppe.de/presse/presseinformationen/archiv/20171004-mobile-payment/index.htm

Die Kunden können ihre Sparkassen-Card (girocard), ihre Sparkassen-Kreditkarte (Mastercard) oder beide Karten hinterlegen. Jede Smartphone-Zahlung wird wie eine herkömmliche Kartenzahlung vom Konto des Kunden abgebucht. Überall dort, wo kontaktloses Bezahlen funktioniert, ist auch das Bezahlen mit dem Smartphone möglich. Und das weltweit.

Last edited:

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Ok, great that it does work in foreign countries. But nevertheless you will need a credit card abroad, as they dont accept a girocard as payment option eg. for all rental stuff.
And yes you state CC from Sparkasse, I know they have it, but they charge for it. Thats what customers dont like and thats why the usual Sparkassen Customer does not have one.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
PS: the reason, why debit cards are not accepted for car rental in the US are not "technical". it's just because they can block an amount of money and they have certain deals with diners club, visa, mastarcard and so on. it's more safe for the car rental companies as sixt. it's a so called "preauthorised deposit".

ironically, after you registered with your credit card you often can pay your costs at the return with your debit card.
[doublepost=1518425838][/doublepost]
And yes you state CC from Sparkasse, I know they have it, but they charge for it. Thats what customers dont like and thats why the usual Sparkassen Customer does not have one.
most banks charge for the creditcards. it's because they are expensive for the bank

just for the fact ... the always quoted "ach so modern" bank N26 gives you a MasterCard. But the debit-Version, not the CreditCard. As funny as it is... you won't get a car at sixt with your N26 MasterCard either :) nice, huh? yeah, that's Fortschritt.

and most german customers don't have credit cards not because it costs them something but they don't need them. we already discussed that too.

Last edited:

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
I do know that as I lived in the states for some years and I am in the US at least once a year.
Nevertheless you will not get a car with a debit card alone. And there are other countries that do it the same way.
And even in germany it can be difficult as I heard from some friends to rent a car without credit.
Additionally paying online can be difficult with a girocard alone. Some shops dont accept payments like "Lastschrift" or other account based payments and you will have to use a CC.
But lets stop it, everyone can pay with what he wants, if you only want a girocard, go for it (i doubt that you dont have a CC).

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
By the way generally the exchange rates and charges for using the Sparkasse "Girocard" (ie. Maestro) abroad are horrendous. Their credit cards are way cheaper anyway so it wouldn't even make sense to use Maestro abroad. I can report though, that I used the SPK Maestro card in the UK several times and found it only worked when a cashier was available. You certainly can't use "pay at pump" petrol stations or ticket machines.

Anyone who thinks he can get away without a credit card when on travels abroad is absolutely bonkers. I've seen it myself on holiday in Poland, Denmark, Lithuania, UK, France, US. Every time: No credit card = you've got a big chance of getting stuck.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
I have other experiences. For exampel in France or Czech Republic, I never had to use one of my credit cards. I always could pay with my "regular" bank account card. Two weeks ago in Prague I paid contactless with my Girocard as well.

Just to exchange experiences.

So...Travelling around the world is another use case and not the usual day to day experience for most of our neighbours. And the pro/contra discussion about Credit Cards is not the topic in this thread.

the origin was the claim, the Sparkassen app can not be used outside of Germany and does only support Girocards. Both is wrong.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Lets face it. if Sparkasse again misses the modern form of banking (they did a lot with online banking, credit card already), they will again loose customers. Not only because of apple pay, but I doubt that their own build system will work in foreign countries and thats something people recognize when they first travel somewhere and get problems.
As already stated in the other thread. Try to get a rental card eg. in die US without a credit card, good luck!
Thats where a girocard really does not help you, nevertheless it supports Maestro.
Lets face it? Misses what?? I´m using HBCI Banking for many years now at Stadtsparkasse Düsseldorf. Now they issue contactless cards and in the future Apple Pay.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
The funny thing is... „Again losing customers“ they still have about half of the market in their hands. Private and business. And the world know „German Mittelstand“ will do anything, but change in masses to private corporations and big banks.

Little excurse... Germany was not nearly affected of the financial crisis a few years back because there are not only three of four big players on the market, that rule everything. The market is stable because most of the market is separated in hunderts of small or up to middele tier banks.

kkrdvc

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Looks like a deployment plan of one Czech bank has unofficialy confirmed Apple Pay for the Czech Republic in Q1/2 2018. And as we all know, it has been speculated the whole time that the new Apple Pay countries in EU are starting at the same time. ☺️
[doublepost=1518437709][/doublepost]It even says it’s now dependent on “Apple’s rollout plan”

Attachments

• F23D643D-3FB2-4C46-8941-5F872CC9BD5D.png
    F23D643D-3FB2-4C46-8941-5F872CC9BD5D.png
    490.1 KB · Views: 1,129
  • 6CF7BFA2-FB76-4970-88E5-90F47FA795DB.jpeg
    6CF7BFA2-FB76-4970-88E5-90F47FA795DB.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 75CE343C-5090-4C63-82CF-D73EF997CAF5.png
    75CE343C-5090-4C63-82CF-D73EF997CAF5.png
    493.2 KB · Views: 988
  • 125EAC31-7408-46EB-864E-8CEAFAF7DD41.jpeg
    125EAC31-7408-46EB-864E-8CEAFAF7DD41.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 968

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Here's the link to the document. https://investors.moneta.cz/documen...INAL.pdf/ce4d1292-103e-23cb-9f41-d6f19402d0d7

And the asterisk behind the "mobile payments - IOS platform" says: "Dependent on timing of Apple's roll-out plan"

So ... perhaps, roll out and announcement for some European markets was planned but has been shifted.
[doublepost=1518439645][/doublepost]btw: Android payment rollout at this bank was in 2017 ... if the czech people did also cry "we never ever get Apple Pay... these banks are all so old and if they rollout Android payment apps without Apple Pay, they will never ever roll out Apple Pay and they're doing their business on their own and ... mimimi"?

kkrdvc

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
btw: Android payment rollout at this bank was in 2017 ... if the czech people did also cry "we never ever get Apple Pay... these banks are all so old and if they rollout Android payment apps without Apple Pay, they will never ever roll out Apple Pay and they're doing their business on their own and ... mimimi"?

I don’t know why it seems you’re taking all the criticism towards the Sparkassen so personal.

I mean, the German market by itself is a bit different than other European markets, including the Czech one. The CZ bank that “confirmed” Apple Pay is a modern one, the one you would expect to support services like Android and Apple Pay, the one that “follows the trends”.

Either way, you should just let people talk what they want and not take every crical post so seriously.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
I'm just bored of always the same story and the same whining about the German bank market in general. The overall repeating urban legends... you know, the gras is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Lets face it? Misses what?? I´m using HBCI Banking for many years now at Stadtsparkasse Düsseldorf. Now they issue contactless cards and in the future Apple Pay.

Sorry I misspelled it on the iPad. I meant online bank accounts for people who don't want to use cashier, paper transactions and so on. Sparkasse reacted very late to this demand in my eyes.

The funny thing is... „Again losing customers“ they still have about half of the market in their hands. Private and business. And the world know „German Mittelstand“ will do anything, but change in masses to private corporations and big banks.

I do see around me more and more younger people (up to maybe 40-50 years old), that tend to not have their account at a Sparkasse/Volksbank anymore. They don't like to pay for their bank account that much that Sparkasse/Volksbank is charging them.
Maybe that's an answer why people think it is a bank for older people.
But that's only what I see, others might see different things happening around them.

just for the fact ... the always quoted "ach so modern" bank N26 gives you a MasterCard. But the debit-Version, not the CreditCard. As funny as it is... you won't get a car at sixt with your N26 MasterCard either :) nice, huh? yeah, that's Fortschritt.

and most german customers don't have credit cards not because it costs them something but they don't need them. we already discussed that too.

I never talked about N26 and debit credit cards. N26 is Not a valid bank for me. I am taking banks into account like DKB, Comdirect, ING-Diba as to mention part of them.
Who the don't need them: I do know a couple of areas where that changed when they tried to get flights, hotel rooms or something online. And that's where I was never be able to use the maestro card itself? Only Things like Lastschrift or sofortüberweisung (which is a real data hog by the way, but different stuff). Only recently I have seen a couple of waves to go online with girocard called "paydirect" or something like that?

zdfbe4ah

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2018
Here's the link to the document. https://investors.moneta.cz/documen...INAL.pdf/ce4d1292-103e-23cb-9f41-d6f19402d0d7

And the asterisk behind the "mobile payments - IOS platform" says: "Dependent on timing of Apple's roll-out plan"

So ... perhaps, roll out and announcement for some European markets was planned but has been shifted.

Q2 is not over yet ... even Q1 isn't over yet ... so it seems it's still all perfectly on time, according to the cz document.
the bank is probably ready and only waits for Apple to lift the NDA.
For me this again hints towards a march Apple event with official announcement :)

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Sorry I misspelled it on the iPad. I meant online bank accounts for people who don't want to use cashier, paper transactions and so on. Sparkasse reacted very late to this demand in my eyes.
Very late? I did online banking with Sparkasse back in the early 90s via BTX and from the mid 90s via Internet. That's "very late"? Ok, this was just one way of doing your business. But you could if you wanted to. Nowadays many VR-Banks or Sparkassen offer "online-only accounts" too for several years. If you want it this way. But overall it's a decision of the local bank.

btw: online-only bankaccounts have been a hype for some time now. but my experiences (friends, coworkers, ...) show that a lot of people come back to "normal" banks with local advisors and so on. at the latest when they had questions, a problem, needed someone to help them and there was nobody but anonymous call center agents or just webforms to fill in. as i said, I myself was at DKB, ComDirect, DeutscheBank24, ... at a certain time I was bored and the call center agents drove me crazy at simple questions.

if you never run into trouble
(i.e. you bought a new home, you sold your old but the new owner doesn't pay and so you need bridge financing for some longer time. at a online bank, you just can fill in new forms and have to hope the computer on the other side says "yes" or the final human controller works on your application as soon as he can. your local advisor not only fills in everything for you, he often just hits enter, types his personal credentials and the deal is set - that's the difference)
or you really just want an account for getting your salary and a card to spend it ... your really fine with online-only accounts. doing anything else will get you back to local banks at a impressive speed. and if it is just for a second or third account ;)

but that is something to far away of this topic and a question of personal needs, experiences and "taste".

I never talked about N26 and debit credit cards. N26 is Not a valid bank for me.
Not for you, but others in the older thread repeat consistently that german banks in general are old and they don't offer credit cards for free and without a credit card you are hopeless in foreign countries and modern banks like N26 are the future (question is, for how long? that's not a bank in my eyes. it's a website and a bet on the future) and there you get a MasterCard for free and so on and on and on.

Just wanted to mention, that this permanent mentioned "bank" does not offer a credit card but a debit card. Relating to the example of car rental above ... you are in trouble with the N26 Debit Card not more or less as a "normal" GiroCard if you want to rent a car at Sixt & Co.

That was all I wanted to say.

Perhaps I should ignore some things in these threads, but I'm always getting bugged if people are talking about things, they obviously don't know anything about but stereotypes and urban legends. Like long time macOS-only users blaspheme about Windows or Android-only users backbiting iOS or in this case guys who are ranting about banks and card systems without knowing anything about the backgrounds, history or context.

Sorry.

Reactions: Mr-Fly and PR1985

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Q2 is not over yet ... even Q1 isn't over yet ... so it seems it's still all perfectly on time, according to the cz document.
the bank is probably ready and only waits for Apple to lift the NDA.
For me this again hints towards a march Apple event with official announcement :)
I would "party hard". Last but not least sunny2k1 would have been right.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Well, there are still four months to go until the end of Q2. So perhaps we're not going to hear anything else for a long time ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.