Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I never understood why the adoption rate of those portable credit card charging dongle thingies that you can attach to your phone is so low in Germany. I literally see street vendors selling tacos or ice cream with VISA in Mexico. You can buy those NFC and swipe readers for like 40 bucks.

Nütztjanix

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2019
Germany
I never understood why the adoption rate of those portable credit card charging dongle thingies that you can attach to your phone is so low in Germany. I literally see street vendors selling tacos or ice cream with VISA in Mexico. You can buy those NFC and swipe readers for like 40 bucks.
Don't know for sure, but I suspect the "problem" isn't the tech per se, but all the regulatory stuff in the background, which might be a lot more complex (given we are Germany ? ). Also, CC transaction fees vs. girocard fees.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
The Sparkasse Girocard just showed up on my iPad Pro (I occasionally tap into "Add Card" on there, don't ask why) after updating to the 14.7 RC. I know for a fact, that it wasn't possible to add the Girocard a few weeks ago (when I set the iPad up).

Is this the long awaited "soon it'll work online too" update the Sparkasse kept referring to? Any way to test? I don't know of any online shop / app that accepts giropay (or whatever they call their online service for the girocard nowadays). I assume that's the requirement for Apple Pay to work online with a Girocard.

kkrdvc

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
The Sparkasse Girocard just showed up on my iPad Pro (I occasionally tap into "Add Card" on there, don't ask why) after updating to the 14.7 RC. I know for a fact, that it wasn't possible to add the Girocard a few weeks ago (when I set the iPad up).

Is this the long awaited "soon it'll work online too" update the Sparkasse kept referring to? Any way to test? I don't know of any online shop / app that accepts giropay (or whatever they call their online service for the girocard nowadays). I assume that's the requirement for Apple Pay to work online with a Girocard.

Yes, Twitter has been full of announcements this whole day. More and more apps and websites are supporting girocard through Apple Pay. Most notable ones are Lieferando, MediaMarkt, Wolt, Bolt, MVV etc.

Reactions: TimFL1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.