Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Seems like Advanzia is definitely coming soon. Nice.

Attachments

• 1592354259-0102-msedge.png
    1592354259-0102-msedge.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 391

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Finally no one will see this hideous card design anymore when I pay

Attachments

• 1FB9BC1C-97AC-49B0-A4DE-218E96743625.jpeg
    1FB9BC1C-97AC-49B0-A4DE-218E96743625.jpeg
    311 KB · Views: 302

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
The newest App Update for Vivid is listing Wallet Support in the App Store. So the assumption for Apple Pay rolling out soon is not far fetched. Tuesday maybe? One can hope.

-Maxim-

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011
Sparkassen-Kunden können bald ihre "EC-Karte" für Zahlungen mit Apple Pay einsetzen, vorerst jedoch nicht im Online-Handel.

nothing really new... but the start could be imminent....

kkrdvc

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
made it to the front page:

Do you think that other banks (comdirect, Commerzbank, Dt Bank, etc.) will offer their girocards too for ApplePay?

They will. A service provider for Commerzbank and comdirect has been working on it as well for some time now.

Reactions: -Maxim-

Moka.sOnkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
They will. A service provider for Commerzbank and comdirect has been working on it as well for some time now.

The other large banking cooperative - V&R Banken - has clearly positioned itself against Girocard in an interview at the end of July 2020. Unless they change their mind they will not introduce Apple Pay support for their Girocard.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Will merchants try to direct debit your account instead of using the girocard network when using Apple Pay?

Moka.sOnkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Will merchants try to direct debit your account instead of using the girocard network when using Apple Pay?

It is not either or - in a simplified form it is both:
The merchant is using the girocard network.
And because the girocard network is linked to all German bank accounts (at least to all accounts for which a girocard has been issued) the merchant is indeed debiting the bank account connected to the girocard of the consumer.

In reality the merchant will have received his terminal from an acquirer. The acquirer is connected via the girocard network to the bank issuing the girocard of the consumer. When a transaction is started the girocard network checks whether the bank account has sufficient funds for this transaction and whether the girocard is valid and not blocked or otherwise compromised. The issuing bank will debit the account of the consumer and transfer the amount (less a regulated interchange fee) to the acquirer who then passes this (less the acquiring fee) on to the merchant. There is no scheme fee like for the major international credit cards which is one of the reasons the transaction costs are lower for girocard - which in turn is one major reason for the higher acceptance of girocards with merchants.

samwa3

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2018
Thanks. I was more wondering if ELV is still possible when using the card with Apple Pay. Because if you pay with a girocard, some merchants will get your account number through that and then instead of using the girocard network, use a regular direct debit. Even though girocard is already pretty cheap to accept, it seems like direct debit can be even cheaper, even though it is more risky because of chargebacks.

Moka.sOnkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
I have read somewhere that it is possible to use a girocard in Apple Pay for merchants who are debiting via ELV - but I have not tried it out.

In my view the ELV variant is crap. It undermines the overall security of Apple Pay as it is breaking up the tokenisation. When ELV is used the merchant can decipher your IBAN as otherwise he would not be able to direct debit your account. Imho it should not be allowed by the Apple Pay system that the tokenisation is broken up and the security of the overall system is compromised!

You're quite right. ELV is the cheapest variant of girocard payments as the merchant is taking the risk of chargebacks.

Reactions: Nütztjanix

basti_no

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2017
In addition to my post before: this is the data send to the machine
680+KurzBlz+KontoNr+Luhn-Prüfziffer.

So no tokenisation, no anonymity. Same as in the mobiles bezahlen app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.