Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
That’s exactly it. You don’t have to carry. But if something happens (eg. accident) it is wise to have it to shorten the procedure. If not they can make you come to the policestation to check you identity. Also when driving a car they can charge you a fee for not carrying the paper of the car or the driving license. (If I remember correctly)

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
I checked the limits of boon now cause I were thinking bout using boon till AP gets released in Germany itself.

In basic account you can only top up 3.000€ per year. With plus Account it’s 30.000€. But using a credit card you can only top up 10.000€ per year.

Well that wouldn’t be enough for me to pay everything using this account. If I am using AP (somehow) I want to use it everywhere and as much as I can... but buying stuff for a whole family that limits won’t be enough I think

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
I don't know what I should think of this sentence:
"Die Bundesbank sieht dennoch keine Notwendigkeit, die Kleinstmünzen abzuschaffen – zumal das Bundesfinanzministerium als Hüter des Münzregals auch mit ihnen weiterhin Gewinn mache."
Crazy! That's politics, as long as it pours money into the pocket, why remove it....

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
No need to prepay, you can also set it up to just take the money from your dedicated credit card. So I don't need to worry about anything ;) But to each his own!

Ah, thank you. Thought, that it is only prepaid. Nice ... wondering if I really should try. On the other hand, it would be another service provider that collects data about me and my life. I think I can wait until Apple Pay finally starts in Germany ;)

Crazy! That's politics, as long as it pours money into the pocket, why remove it....

Well, that's not politics (only) but business. Why should you tear down a service, that not only brings you money but profit? ;)

I just received a newsletter from ING-DiBa promoting the paydirekt App. I don't think that AP is close to being released and ING-DiBa promoting paydirekt...

*sigh* ... and again the old story.

Reactions: PR1985

Karma_isA_8itch

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2018
I would like to say something about paydirekt. I think the idea behind it - especially since the rollout in summer 2017 with its possibility to sent money from people to people - is great. It almost works like in Sweden with their system swish or in Russia with their Sberbank app. You can sent money to anyone without the need of a bank account number. All you need is the phone number or an email adress. And the receiver does not even need a paydirekt account. He can just use the code he receives via sms to get to money and transfer it to his bank account. I really think this is a step in the right direction for paydirekt. The only thing I don’t like is that 1. it’s not working for everyone with every bank of you want to sent money. But you can receive money to any bank that’s nice. And 2. I don’t like that you have to register for paydirekt at all. It should be connected with your bank account all along. Then paydirekt would have a much wider range of use and accessibility. And I am sure we will see paydirekt mobile payment on android in the near future too and I love that idea. I was skeptical about paydirekt for the longest time but I start to like it. If they do it right this could be like swish in Sweden. I would love it.

Reactions: PR1985 and docfred

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
I also like PayDirekt as I don't like or even trust PayPal at all. Too many stories and reports of arbitrary behavior like locked accounts, frozen balances and so on. They do what they want and there's always a man in the middle of payments.
Using PayDirekt you just have to trust your bank and payments are like "normal" transactions but without knowing bank account numbers and so on. And there's some sort of payment acknowledgement for traders but without giving them full access to your bank account as "Sofort" and other services demand. (I would never anybody suggest to use services like SofortÜberweisung!)

Though paydirekt came to the market a little bit late. But not too late in my opinion. Acceptance at online stores is growing, the usage is pretty easy and there's no third party but the banks themselves. This might be a big advantage, especially for "not so native digitals" ;).

And I have to add something more (again):
It's getting ridiculous to say "they start paydirekt, therefore they will not start Apple Pay". No bank, not a single one, can bet on Apple Pay only. They always have to support several services because every Apple Service is exclusive for Apple. Apple Only. You can't pay with Apple Pay without having an iPhone. You can't send someone money directly without an iPhone. But 85% of the market aren't in Apples Hands. It's an Android Market!

So what do you do? So must offer an alternative. So must offer Android payment apps, you must offer services like Apple Pay. Stop concluding, if someone announces an own Android app or paydirekt support this means they will not support Apple Pay.

Hint: boon. have their own Android payment app too.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
So what do you do? So must offer an alternative. So must offer Android payment apps, you must offer services like Apple Pay. Stop concluding, if someone announces an own Android app or paydirekt support this means they will not support Apple Pay.

Exactly. I know we've been going on about the Sparkasse here a lot and yes, there is a lot that one can complain about. Without background knowledge I would assume, that there is a good chance that the Sparkasse will jump onboard with Apple Pay once they start their Android Wallet App. I just can't see them locking out their loyal Apple customers. Generally everything a big banking group like Sparkasse does needs to be spread across the big platforms. By the way: I also assume that most of the leading staff and managers at Sparkasse use an iPhone, so they'll be interested in having that working on there too...

Reactions: PR1985

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Sofortüberweisung is really strange. I once wanted to use it and read what it does before using. And I did not use it as they really look at your account balance and the transactions. That service should have been forbidden!

Reactions: -Maxim- and docfred

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
I haven’t said that the will not start AP when launching paydirekt.

But I said that I don’t think they promote paydirekt this week and going to launch AP next week. So either AP-launch is in far future or its in apples hand and banks don’t even know when it will start here atm, as it is stated in the presentation of that Bank in Czech

But tbh I don’t think Apple will just activate is without talking to the banks telling them a few weeks before...

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
I assume that if there‘s a start in the next few weeks, the participaring banks know the date ;) but they won‘t tell anyone because of Apple‘s strict NDAs. Especially no service teams or call center agents. They will know it on the day of the announcement themselves. Just like the customers. Okay, perhaps one day in advance.
(Don‘t E-Mail your bank, the person that answers won‘t have a single clue)

And the start of paydirekt has nothing to do with Apple Pay. Mostly different use case. Different target group. Another service. And it is available now.

BTW I wouldn‘t bet on too many websites and online shops that will support Apple Pay in Germany. Regarding on the costs to implement it in the shops (-> expected number of potential customers in relation to the number of Apple users overall).

In the local shops, things are different as there is afaik(!) no need for investments and changes, if the terminal is capable of NFC and the service provider supports Apple Pay.

Correct me, if I‘m wrong.
[doublepost=1518715531][/doublepost]PS: i think the quoted czech bank got a call from Apple. A not very ammused call.

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
It won’t be too hard/expensive to implement Apple Pay. Most shops are standard software (magento, shopware...) and using payment provider to make all that payment stuff happen. So it won’t be a problem to implement it. Update installed module and make a checkbox.

arman94

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
Sofortüberweisung is really strange. I once wanted to use it and read what it does before using. And I did not use it as they really look at your account balance and the transactions. That service should have been forbidden!
Totally agree, they want to many information. Actually you are putting there all online-banking information. Very weird. Another concern is TAN. I think they can make verification with mobile number.

cieoqn

Suspended
Feb 2, 2018
BTW I wouldn‘t bet on too many websites and online shops that will support Apple Pay in Germany. Regarding on the costs to implement it in the shops (-> expected number of potential customers in relation to the number of Apple users overall).

In the local shops, things are different as there is afaik(!) no need for investments and changes, if the terminal is capable of NFC and the service provider supports Apple Pay.

Correct me, if I‘m wrong.
[doublepost=1518715531][/doublepost]PS: i think the quoted czech bank got a call from Apple. A not very ammused call.

There are no extra charges for online shops. Apple gets its money from the bank which issued the card that is used for the transaction. The technical implementation isn't that difficult or expensive either, as most (big) online shops use payment service providers which handle the implementation and process of payment. For those providers it is quite easy to implement Apple Pay. That doesn't mean there are going to be many online shops providing Apple Pay as a payment option, however, the cost of implementation isn't a huge obstacle.

Reactions: Alanin and docfred

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Ok, thanks. Then it just depends on the expectations of the shop operator, if Apple Pay as an additional payment option gives him noticeable benefit.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
At the current speed Apple is working on rolling out Apple Pay, you may be lucky to get Apple Pay when the BER airport in Berlin is ready.

nordmaler

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
Northern Germany
"Apple Pay now accepted at 5,000+ more online stores in Denmark, Finland and Sweden" :9to5mac

i wish i where a bit more north

Last edited:

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Why not take a Boon Ireland card and use thousand of stores in Germany that accept Apple Pay?
If you want to get an idea how many already support it:
https://www.apfel.cash/akzeptanzstellen/
And this is only a list that's privately organized by people that put it in the list.

You got stock in Boon? For me it’s useless in day to day life as supermarkets etc in general don’t accept credit cards here in the Netherlands.

Mr-Fly

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
You got stock in Boon? For me it’s useless in day to day life as supermarkets etc in general don’t accept credit cards here in the Netherlands.

No, not at all. But I like to use it and it is very easy to get. No real strings attached to it, as it is no real bank account, just a card.
And why wait for this magic to happen in Germany?
In Germany a lot of shops switched with the new EU regulation to limit payments for Creditcard to 0,3%. Even shops like Aldi, Lidl changed and accept CC today.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Strange. If you read Apple Pay threads in Germany all are complaining, creditcards are used eeeeeevrywhere and just Germans are „dumb“ and banks are old and cc are standard all over the world and so on ... ;)

scnr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.