Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The funny thing is... „Again losing customers“ they still have about half of the market in their hands. Private and business. And the world know „German Mittelstand“ will do anything, but change in masses to private corporations and big banks.

Little excurse... Germany was not nearly affected of the financial crisis a few years back because there are not only three of four big players on the market, that rule everything. The market is stable because most of the market is separated in hunderts of small or up to middele tier banks.

What are you talking about? Sparkasse (any of them) are OLD. Most of their customers today are either old people or people who don't know much about the world today. No young people in Germany open accounts with Sparkasse.

There are plenty of FREE and BETTER options to Sparkasse. DKB, Comdirect, N26. All of them provide free credit cards, app support, decent web customer service.

Sparkasse are crap. Moved from Stuttgart to Hannover? Tough luck. You will be paying for withdrawing "your own money".

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
What are you talking about? Sparkasse (any of them) are OLD. Most of their customers today are either old people or people who don't know much about the world today. No young people in Germany open accounts with Sparkasse.

There are plenty of FREE and BETTER options to Sparkasse. DKB, Comdirect, N26. All of them provide free credit cards, app support, decent web customer service.

Sparkasse are crap. Moved from Stuttgart to Hannover? Tough luck. You will be paying for withdrawing "your own money".
I´m young and a Sparkasse customer.

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
I am kinda young? (34) and left Sparkasse when they increased their fees for a very bad service here.

Had to pay for the account, for each giro card, for every credit card and everytime I needed a sms tan.

So I payed at least 100€ each year. Which was kinda ok but then they increased the fees even more which made me switch to ING-DiBa.

I also tried to have a Tagesgeldkonto with Sparkasse or make investments. Which is very expensive with Sparkasse as well. Also credits for buying a house was too expensive and not alternative to other banks.

Tbh. Sparkasse will loose a lot of market in the future I think. Not in the whole market but in the private sector. But they still will have a lot of customers like companies.

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
come on... we had this already. a couple of times. There is not "the Sparkasse". There are about 400 different banks called "Sparkasse". With own products, own services, own prices.

Not again...

Reactions: PR1985

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
come on... we had this already. a couple of times. There is not "the Sparkasse". There are about 400 different banks called "Sparkasse". With own products, own services, own prices.

Not again...

Well then, it’s at least MY Sparkasse which sux... but then it’s also not all Sparkassen that are good. Maybe just yours then... but true, we had this already

Reactions: docfred

Alanin

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2018
Nordhausen
The Girocard is part of my account (Stadtsparkasse).

If you need SMS-TAN.

Giro Card was 6€ each year and was increased to 12€ before I switched. MasterCard was 29€

There were no alternative to SMS Tan when doing online banking.

From Volksbank i know that they had a small device you had to buy to generate tans. But the technology was modernised every one or two years here and you had to buy a new one for 10-20€

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Giro Card was 6€ each year and was increased to 12€ before I switched. MasterCard was 29€

There were no alternative to SMS Tan when doing online banking.

From Volksbank i know that they had a small device you had to buy to generate tans. But the technology was modernised every one or two years here and you had to buy a new one for 10-20€
Sparkassen Card 0€
MasterCard Standard 25€/Year
Online-Banking: HBCI

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
These TAN Generators are the most secure way of banking (besides chipcard based transaction). SMS can be easily fetched, TAN-Generator apps are also insecure.

And the IT-Security guys at N26 for example are doing a outrages, hair-raising job. Banks that work this way and go public with such disastrous applicatoins and Web-APIs can't be taken serious.

If you want, watch this, it's really interesting:

And it shows how careless these companies work. That they closed the flaws and bugs shortly after Vincent reported them, does not make it better, because such software should never be released in the first place.

obviously, there had not been any kind of test, penetration, security investigation. codecodecode and released. yeah. that's the "bank" of the future.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...beim-Bank-Startup-N26-aufgedeckt-3582313.html

arman94

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
still waiting for AP in germany. what is sunny saying about the release? :D hahahah
:D:D I do not think that anyone will give forecast about AP in Germany. Usually they all say " Apple Pay will be available next Month/Event." However, after the event where nothing was released, we listen standard "It was delayed at the last minute" phrase.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Maybe a silly question, but if this rumoured Apple Pay Cash expansion also came to Germany, wouldn't Apple be able to get around the banks (top up the Apple pay Cash Card from your regular Debit / Credit Card) and use that for Apple Pay?

It might be worth considering that this is all tied in with the rumour around the iPhone SE 2, AirPower Mat (or whatever it's called), Homepod expansion to France/Germany, new budget iPad and Apple Pay Cash expansion... not to forget iOS 11.3. Surely plenty to announce something in a March event. By the way they did the same 2016 for iOS 9.3 and a lot less...

Last edited:

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Apple Pay Cash is something like Kwitt. Nothing to use in stores or on the web. If I understand Apple.

btw, Apple does not support ELV/regular bank accounts at the moment, so how should the majority of german users use Apple Pay Cash anyway? Charge their Apple account with iTunes gift cards so they can pay at the grocery with Apple Pay Cash? :D

maxOS1104

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2018
Apple Pay Cash is something like Kwitt. Nothing to use in stores or on the web. If I understand Apple.

btw, Apple does not support ELV/regular bank accounts at the moment, so how should the majority of german users use Apple Pay Cash anyway? Charge their Apple account with iTunes gift cards so they can pay at the grocery with Apple Pay Cash? :D
You’re completely wrong. Apple Pay Cash Card can be used in stores apps and on the web just like a normal Apple Pay card!

You can start using Apple Pay Cash right away to make purchases in stores, in apps, and on the web. Or transfer your Apple Pay Cash balance to your bank account.
from https://support.apple.com/explore/apple-pay-cash

Reactions: 4254126

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Ok, thanks.

But the other points are valid, right?

A) It's prepaid? So you have to charge your "Apple Pay Cash Card" in advance
B) How would the majority of german customers charge their "Cash Card"? Apple does not support ELV/normal bank accounts

And the big question.... who would charge a prepaid card regularly to pay at his local supermarket, if he could just use his bank card, without charging his "Cash Card" in advance?

Sorry, don't think this would be a "killer use case" and Apple won't start pre paid Apple Pay Cash in Germany without Apple Pay. This would be ridiculous.

Ney

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2018

i am a cashier at a drugstore - and i hate to say but you are totally wrong. at least where i live nearly 70% of card users have a Sparkasse-Girocard to pay with. Yes - even the young ones. Of course i don't know about the customers which pay with cash.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Maybe a silly question, but if this rumoured Apple Pay Cash expansion also came to Germany, wouldn't Apple be able to get around the banks (top up the Apple pay Cash Card from your regular Debit / Credit Card) and use that for Apple Pay?
If it's anything like here in the US, Apple will not issue a card themselves but partner up with a local bank (in the US it's Green Dot Bank). If you sign up for Apple Pay Cash here, you're actually opening a cash account with a card at Green Dot.

But honestly, APC isn't all that useful. I find it easier to transfer directly from bank account to bank account using Zelle rather than going through a middle man (which only works for Apple users anyway). From what I remember Germany has fast bank transfers as well?

docfred

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
At the moment, one working day from bank account to bank account.

From mid 2018 on, real time transactions.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
We already had this topic a couple of times. Read on.

Btw, again:
N26 does not offer you a credit card. They offer you a debit card.
https://n26.com/mastercard/?lang=de

What difference does it make? It functions exactly the same. There is ZERO reason, in 2018, to have an account with Sparkasse unless you like giving your money away for free. It is almost the same with Deutsche Bank, except at least Deutsche Bank is more international and you can withdraw money from allover Germany for free.

If you have accounts in either banks, move your account to Comdirect/DKB/n26. Takes a week or two and it is done. I say this based on years of experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.