Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
Age matters if you spent $25 million on a documentary of someone who caters mostly to teenagers with no disposable income to buy subscriptions with...
Teenagers has had disposable income (or at least some parents provides disposable income) enough to drive a enormous demand for music for decades. The sales growth of almost every massively successful artist has been driven by attention from teens and young adults.

Lozza013

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2017
Melbourne Australia
Good lord, if this forum is representative of the "pro" market, no wonder Apple is moving away from them! Pretty much everyone under 30 knows who Billie Eilish is, even if they don't like her music.

Complaining about spending money on this is even worse than complaining about watchbands. Apple has billions in the war chest, and purchasing content requires zero man-hours of investment - they pay for the content that is already made, distribute it on their platform, and hope that their investment pays off in attracting people to their service. Like it or not, Apple has a streaming platform now, and this is how that business operates.

I forget the exact figures, but Apple has already allocated billions of dollars for content acquisition and production, so this isn't taking taking money from anything else. Apple isn't having to choose to take money from one department and put it toward something else.

Seriously, if this thread is showing the true colors of the people who have been criticizing Apple for losing sight of their market, then Apple has been 100% correct, because it is these people who have lost touch.
I'm under 30, I've never heard of her.

Reactions: dantroline

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
LOL.. I came here to find out if that was a male or female. Couldn't tell from the picture.

Funny, yet on numerous occassions, and in lyrics at now 18 she still doesn't consider herself pretty, or a hottie or 'your girl' in her words and popular pickup lines and mentions.

Tis the beauty of music, cultures and language ... we all have our own tastes. And for your quote best way to end this thread ...

"each to their own" and "different strokes for different folks".

mrongey

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
Hence why I said pretty much everyone under 30, I knew there would be outliers. Her debut album went double platinum , she just won the AMA New Artist of the Year and she's nominated for six Grammys. Far from a nobody.

Apple cemented itself as a cultural icon with its Think Different campaign after Steve came back, associating itself with visionaries, thinkers, and - gasp - contemporary figures in pop culture. Has Apple made some missteps along the way? Abosulutely! However, maybe Apple has stayed the same more than we thought in that it has strived to be innovative within a shifting culture and society while some of the people who bought the original iMac have stayed stuck in the 90s?

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I'd rather they spend $25M on...let's say...a month-long music festival where they have a couple of different bands play each day in...let's see...how about some famous venue in London. That would show me how much they care about music.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I think this documentary will actually turn out to be incredibly enlightening, given how misunderstood Billie is. At least judging based on the snide and derogatory comments posted here against her. Maybe you guys will finally understand the appeal and why she whispers when she sings.
[automerge]1575577146[/automerge]

Yeah. The sooner Apple moves away from the demographic which posts here (with exceptions) the better. Won't miss them at all.

Apple's loudest critics are nearly always on the wrong side of reality. Though to be fair, it's not because they are bad people. It's just because they don't know anything.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
just another "artist" created by the music industry. Teens will start following someone they are told is "good" and rich old guys know this. He/She/It being pushed hard by the mainstream music industry. This game has been going on since the 50's.

Reactions: dantroline

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I'm be out of touch or too old to realise that this is to entice young ones to get on the Apple subscription train.

Reactions: Ar40

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
50-something corporate types splashing big money to try to be down with the kids. It's totally not cringeworthy at all, no sir.

That's literally the record industry since the 60s. Not new at all.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
What? How is that evidence that they don't have unlimited funds? They kind of do. Your priorities just don't match up to the most valuable company on Earth.

Guess what? Their priorities are right and yours aren't.

Source: Apple being the most valuable company on Earth.
Happy investors ≠ happy consumers. Having a $1T evaluation ≠ having $1T to spend on product development and other projects.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
Happy investors ≠ happy consumers. Having a $1T evaluation ≠ having $1T to spend on product development and other projects.
Apple spent over $16B on R&D in 2019.

Apple does have happy customers who stay with Apple and continue to buy more. They have industry leading satisfaction.

Just because Apple does something in one business doesn't mean it's detracting or even related to another business. Apple is a large company with many initiatives. I proved to you they certainly aren't cheap in their R&D spend.

Valuation says Apple's strategy is working, like it or not. You don't become worth $1.2T by making junk, having unhappy customers, and poor products.

Post your evidence or just stop.

$25M on this is all part of the strategy. Billie Eilish is popular.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Sounds more like a major success story from the perspective of this "kid", if they made it big at just 17

Have you ever accomplished a $25 million deal in your life? I certainly haven't

LOL! If one’s objective in life and reference to success to life is money. And the answer is actually yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.