Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Brighthand details some rumors circulating around the web. The source of the information is not considered reliable, which is why this information has not been posted previously.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't believe this.

the only reason this is posted is because it's been getting a fair amount of attention.

arn

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Color screens and battery life will be a big issue here.....after the fiasco with the iPod batteries its a bit more poignant.

D

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
What's the deal with this Manzione guy? Does he have any track record? He speaks with some conviction (and detail) about this...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by moosecat
What's the deal with this Manzione guy? Does he have any track record? He speaks with some conviction (and detail) about this...

unreliable.

arn

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Even if its very unlikely. I hope that it turns out to be true. Having a PDA from Apple that can be used as a iPod as well would just be great. Today you always have to carry around two or three devices. iPod, cell phone, PDA. It would be so great if they can be integrated into one device. Even so I don't see that soon coming I believe that we get a device like that in the future for sure. Time will proof me right.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The only thing that we know for sure is that Steve Jobs said a lot more would be coming out this year. He is allowed to speculate also.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I don't think a PDA-Phone merger is a good idea. I have an Audiovox Thera, and using that has been a real eye-opener. It's an acceptable PDA, but a terrible phone.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Agree with Hobbes... UGH!!! Would people just let this go? Christ, it ain't happening, get over it!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by cubist
I don't think a PDA-Phone merger is a good idea. I have an Audiovox Thera, and using that has been a real eye-opener. It's an acceptable PDA, but a terrible phone.

You should try a Handspring Treo 300 or 600. Those are very well thought out products. I have the 300, and love it.

I doubt Apple will release a PDA anytime soon (at least a PDA as we know it...;) )

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think PDAs and phones are bound to merge. I realized how much gear I carry around as I wandered the mall today with my iPod (don't want it ripped off from the car), cell phone and Cybershot-U. I couldn't find a pocket for my keys without fear of scratching some shiny toy. I can't imagine if I had to add a $400 PDA to that mix. I'm excited to see what the future brings for portable devices. Incedently, gizmodo has a link up for today about this topic.

As for the Apple PDA, I would be suprised/shocked.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
I think PDAs and phones are bound to merge. I realized how much gear I carry around as I wandered the mall today with my iPod (don't want it ripped off from the car), cell phone and Cybershot-U. I couldn't find a pocket for my keys without fear of scratching some shiny toy. I can't imagine if I had to add a $400 PDA to that mix. I'm excited to see what the future brings for portable devices. Incedently, gizmodo has a link up for today about this topic.

As for the Apple PDA, I would be suprised/shocked.

oops sorry, forgot the camera or iCamera.

Then you'd only have one thing in your pocket, besides your car keys.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I'd love to see this, but I too find it unlikely. Funny thing is how confident this guy sounds. If you make these bold statements just to look like a fool is not good for your site and credibility.

laserbeahm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Central Valley, CA
I think that Apple should release a PDA and call it the Newton. That would be really funny. The sad part is that a lot of people probably wouldn't realize why it would be funny.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
I think PDAs and phones are bound to merge.

:rolleyes: People just don’t get it. When was the last time you tried entering data on a smart phone? Smart phones are great for accessing data but suck big time for entering data. This will never change while the current form factor remains the same. And don’t tell me voice recog because are you really going to dictate 3 sentence memo in public?
Smartphones are never going to replace PDA’s just like laptops will never kill off the desktop. Each market has its own use. You are going to see smartphones sit side by side with PDA’s. Smartphone features will become standard in ALL cellphones in the future but progressing tech will allow features to advance in the PDA that no cellphone can hope to have.
That is until you get a device like the Sci-fi series Earth: Final Conflict’s device that is called a Global. A retractable screen that can slide into the main body. When you can fit the 3” screen of a PDA in a cellphone while maintaining the cellphone’s diminutive stature and sill allowing ease of data manipulation is the day you will see the two totally merge. For the time being we will have the likes of the Pocket PC: Phone Edition and the Handspring Trio series. Where you have a cellphone shoved into a PDA instead of a PDA shoved into a cellphone.

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
I would love to have an Apple Smartphone

I think a PDA (with no good phone capability) is a waste of time

most hardcore users are grabbing Treo 600's (which ROCK!)

if Apple has the R&D to make a solid smartphone though, then GO FOR IT!

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
I never used to want a PDA. Until that is I bought my iPod almost 2 years ago.

Viewing my calanders and contacts is fine, but it's a pain that I can't edit this data.

I've thought about a laptop, but I'm happy with my desktop as my primary machine. And really, you can't use the laptop ANYWHERE. You still need to put the laptop on a table and boot up etc if you want to add some notes.

I don't really need a CD drive, don't need to power to run apps like Photoshop or Dreamweaver. Just to operate iLife, download photos, view photos, add notes, store music, edit iCal and modify my Address Book.

That's not too much to ask for is it? The current PDA's don't do what I want, and neither does a laptop. Would love something inbetween.

I honestly think there is a market. But this is just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.