Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judicat0r

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2004
Sorry if someone has already said this (I couldn't be bothered reading through all those pages of posts), but I find it extremely unlikely that Apple would release a device which would essentially duplicate functionality of the ipod + add heaps of additional features. I don't think it would be sensible marketing to spend as much as on ipod advertising as they have and then superscede it so quickly. Why would anyone buy an ipod when you can get a PDA which does it all?? :confused:

My 2c

TednDi

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2004
Earth
The answer is...

Judicat0r said:
Sorry if someone has already said this (I couldn't be bothered reading through all those pages of posts), but I find it extremely unlikely that Apple would release a device which would essentially duplicate functionality of the ipod + add heaps of additional features. I don't think it would be sensible marketing to spend as much as on ipod advertising as they have and then superscede it so quickly. Why would anyone buy an ipod when you can get a PDA which does it all?? :confused:

My 2c

Price point.

For those who want the s***T hot thing then the ipod 4 is for you otherwise it's the ipod 3 or the mini. Look at that kookie lagerfeld/ipod/fendi carry case for $1500. Why are there several versions of the mac? Apple would rather cannablalize the little bits of other's market share to agglomerate it's own domminance of the industry. See the macworld expo Quicktime movie of Steve J's speech. Apple in jan had like 60% of the market. how do you get more of the other 40%? innovate into other regions.

For me (and I only speak for myself) an ipod/phone hybrid would be a killer product. Yes, if you add the pda functions which I don't use that much it would be cool too. As long as it synchs with great ease. Add a bit more functionality at low enough cost and the product is different than all of its competitors.

also phones now are coming in with secure digital cards and are able to play music and show pictures. That's prettty much what the ipod can do now. Eventually the phones are going to cut into the ipod marketshare when flash memory gets over the 4gig point and is cheap enough (2years?)

The only way to head that off is to add phone functionality to the ipod or ipod sucessor. Also if wifi is bundled with it and perhaps a .mac voice over ip plan then iphone is your device.

so no pda

fine

go iphone with itunes! :)

also, did anyone else notice the DVD icon in the applications folder looks suspiciously like the ipod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.