Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elmerfudd

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2004
Malta
why linux

i'm no expert but why would apple use embeddable linux instead of darwin? is darwin that heavy?

This is a big waste of bytes. I would like to see darwin coping better with small hardware...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
smart phones are for a niche of a niche market...
siliconaddict is right, in most cases they are tougher to enter info on, and most people dont want to have to reset their phone if something goes wrong...and battery life on a smart phone is often an issue.
plus they are expensive, plus they require working with a national carrier. there are a few smartphones that work well today, but i dont see them as being such a hot item that phone companies are going to jump to carry an apple smartphone, nor do i see apple starting their own wireless company or partnering with one in-store, one of which would need to happen for a smart phone to work.
so whether or not apple has a pda in the wings is one thing, but i say no way to an apple smartphone. too much mess for too little reward.
-carly

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
Originally posted by unclepain
Somebody else has already designed this mystery device.
http://www.oqo.com/hardware/video/

dude. . . i want one of those. . . but its not availble until fall 04

man, apple needs to drop a micro-sized G3 (G4 would melt in you hands if its anything like my 12"pb) in one of those. that is just cool. especially the docking part. just imagine a 'computer lab' would be a bunch of monitors and docks. . . . you just drop your computer into a dock and start working. its a nice dream for M$, but lets face it, only apple could pull off a device that could drop in and out of a dock with periferals that easilly (w/o having to install drivers for everything eight times over like windows)

oh well, maybe in some future computers will actually be that cool

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
one more thing. . .
a couple guys that work for oqo used to work for apple!!! maybe apple has been developing something similar. . . ceartainly would change the world of computing if apple could pull of such a product for a reasonable price (similarly priced to a laptop)

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
Even if its very unlikely. I hope that it turns out to be true. Having a PDA from Apple that can be used as a iPod as well would just be great. Today you always have to carry around two or three devices. iPod, cell phone, PDA. It would be so great if they can be integrated into one device. Even so I don't see that soon coming I believe that we get a device like that in the future for sure. Time will proof me right.

It would be like an Apple Newton that can play music too, but with better hand writing recognition and battery life and a color screen would be nice too.:rolleyes:

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Originally posted by wPod
one more thing. . .
a couple guys that work for oqo used to work for apple!!! maybe apple has been developing something similar. . . ceartainly would change the world of computing if apple could pull of such a product for a reasonable price (similarly priced to a laptop)

do a search for the oqo on brighthand or any of the other handheld related sites...oqo has been promised for years, im fairly certain it was voted one of the best vaporware by wired magazine...maybe apple can get it right but the makers of the oqo havent yet.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Photorun
Agree with Hobbes... UGH!!! Would people just let this go? Christ, it ain't happening, get over it!

im gonna quote you when i am sitting with my apple pda grinning my head off as it recognises my bent deslxic handwriting :p

also what prossesor? a ppc or one like the ipods ARM?

paulbarton

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
smartphones

Originally posted by question fear
siliconaddict is right, in most cases they are tougher to enter info on, and most people dont want to have to reset their phone if something goes wrong...and battery life on a smart phone is often an issue.
plus they are expensive, plus they require working with a national carrier. there are a few smartphones that work well today, but i dont see them as being such a hot item that phone companies are going to jump to carry an apple smartphone, nor do i see apple starting their own wireless company or partnering with one in-store, one of which would need to happen for a smart phone to work.
so whether or not apple has a pda in the wings is one thing, but i say no way to an apple smartphone. too much mess for too little reward.
-carly

I find it interesting that people are saying 'smartphones won't replace pdas' when they already have. Now I know the US is a bit behind when it comes to phones but... Last year the biggest selling pda in the world was the SE P800... which, to all intents and purposes... is a phone!! The phone market is huge. The PDA (as it is) is a tint market and is doomed. Most people don't want an over-blown WidowsCE pda when they can get a P900 that does so many things more than competently.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Re: smartphones

Originally posted by paulbarton
I find it interesting that people are saying 'smartphones won't replace pdas' when they already have. Now I know the US is a bit behind when it comes to phones but... Last year the biggest selling pda in the world was the SE P800... which, to all intents and purposes... is a phone!! The phone market is huge. The PDA (as it is) is a tint market and is doomed. Most people don't want an over-blown WidowsCE pda when they can get a P900 that does so many things more than competently.

i know the p900 has enjoyed popularity in other parts of the world, but here it seems like palmone and sony still hang on to the top spots with hp popping up...and the only smartphones are made by palmone (the treos, from the handspring merger) and i believe hp may have one in the works.
frankly, you may be right, but i dont see it happening here for a long time, given how very $$$ they are compared to a bluetooth phone and pda combo.
thats just my view of the market from my tiny corner of the world...if we suddenly see price drops on smartphones things might change, but too expensive for too little benefit.
and the psion/symbian os the p900 uses still has not gained the same following palm and wince have over here, which is too bad because i've heard great things about it.

paulbarton

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
pda ish idea

As people get new phones once a year and as SE, NOKIA et al are pretty good at making phones, I think Apple are best off avoiding this market.

But if the next iPod (or iPod+pda) had bluetooth functionality so that the phones would cut out the music and function as your bluetooth headset - you could leave your ugly phone in your pocket.
You could also buy it even if you were mid-contract with your phone.

Now if this device had AddressBook and could dial etc... it would seem like it had phone functionality without apple having to try and catch up SE.

Infact you could hold this thing to your face and use it like a phone while all along its just hi-jacking via BT...

king_of_ekat

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
Here's another "Palmtop" that seems to be beating the Oqo to market and has slightly better specs... http://minipc.vulcan.com/

Looks interesting... especially since, like the oqo, it will run a full OS, not something scaled down for portability. If this comes in around $1000, it could be a big thing.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Originally posted by question fear
-carly

plus life goes on and new technical equipment is developed.

As I said, I am quite sure that these gadgets will integrate more and more over time. Could you imagine to have an iPod 10 years ago ? No ! So it will be really interesting what will come out in 5 or 10 years from today.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Originally posted by king_of_ekat
Here's another "Palmtop" that seems to be beating the Oqo to market and has slightly better specs... http://minipc.vulcan.com/

Looks interesting... especially since, like the oqo, it will run a full OS, not something scaled down for portability. If this comes in around $1000, it could be a big thing.

...looks like a normal sub-notebook ...but the keyboard looks funny ....
i doubt a price about 1000

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Originally posted by virividox
i dont care i dont care

if anything they bring back the newton, but i think apple have bigger fish to fry!!!

i think you are right about bigger fish...the handheld market is contracting, and most companies are posting losses...
but i do wonder if they wont do more with isync, the ipod and the dock connector.
what about a mini or even full size keyboard wiht a dock connector for notes, etc? its fairly straightforward, if you already carry your ipod, and if its a minikeyboard attachment you can use it to update addresses etc on the go without compromising the portability of the ipod by adding a touch screen (touch screens are just inherently more delicate, and dont really belong/need to be on an mp3 player meant to be carried everywhere, at least imho.)
but still, more likely someone in a bar somewhere in the general vicinity (50-100 miles) of cupertino began to speculate on an apple pda, and voila! this rumor emerged just hours later on brighthand and then macrumors!

;)

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Originally posted by king_of_ekat

I like the name of that device. I think I will be installing Mac OS x on my x86 AMD befor I am using a new Apple PDA

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Originally posted by ratspg
a PDA from apple is like Mac OS X on a PC, it's not going to happen unless they ENJOY losing money, hah

Apple have a way of reinventing things with a twist that makes me think they could make this work. I think the key would be to have an iPod liek device with a decent harddisk, allowing you access to all your working files from any apple, coupled with on the road access to iCal, address book etc via a touch screen.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
In my view, the Samsung SPH-i500 is a successful PDA/phone, the first that doesn't dwarf its contemporary mobile only-phones. So there's a smart phone that doesn't suck for entering data.

I agree that PDA/phones won't make plain mobile phones obsolete. The hippest phones will always be a little slimmer and sleeker since they don't need so big a screen. More to the point, there appears to be a fairly large chunk of the population that isn't at all interested in PDAs and won't pay any extra to get a PDA in their mobile phone. Then again, low-end "organizer" functions are showing up even in the phones you get for free from the carrier.

I agree that "each market has its own use", as with all the other specious "either-ors" in technology -- Mac vs. PC, Windows vs. Linux, PocketPC vs. Palm, CDMA vs. GSM, and so on. Pundits like to preannounce "victors" in these "struggles" for market dominance, but there is room for consumer choice and it's a good thing.

[Edit: But I doubt Apple will get into PDAs. It's a tough market, and we know Steve the Newton-killer doesn't fancy it.]

Cheers,

Crikey

Originally posted by SiliconAddict
:rolleyes: People just don’t get it. When was the last time you tried entering data on a smart phone? Smart phones are great for accessing data but suck big time for entering data. This will never change while the current form factor remains the same. And don’t tell me voice recog because are you really going to dictate 3 sentence memo in public?
Smartphones are never going to replace PDA’s just like laptops will never kill off the desktop. Each market has its own use. You are going to see smartphones sit side by side with PDA’s. Smartphone features will become standard in ALL cellphones in the future but progressing tech will allow features to advance in the PDA that no cellphone can hope to have.
That is until you get a device like the Sci-fi series Earth: Final Conflict’s device that is called a Global. A retractable screen that can slide into the main body. When you can fit the 3” screen of a PDA in a cellphone while maintaining the cellphone’s diminutive stature and sill allowing ease of data manipulation is the day you will see the two totally merge. For the time being we will have the likes of the Pocket PC: Phone Edition and the Handspring Trio series. Where you have a cellphone shoved into a PDA instead of a PDA shoved into a cellphone.

paulbarton

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2004
"people don't get it"

At the risk of repeating myself...

As the se p800 (a smartPHONE) was the worlds biggest selling... wait for it...
PDA!!!! - Smartphones are already killing the pda market.

A smartphone could be seen as a pda + phone functionality... So, in the future, will you want your pda to be able to get on the internet, or not!

In the same way, knowone's buying phones without cameras, people will want there phones... smarter

Believe me, your kids will laugh at the idea of a PDA that can't get on the internet, send emails... video conference.

This is one market where convergence is king

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Re: "people don't get it"

Originally posted by paulbarton
At the risk of repeating myself...

As the se p800 (a smartPHONE) was the worlds biggest selling... wait for it...
PDA!!!! - Smartphones are already killing the pda market.

A smartphone could be seen as a pda + phone functionality... So, in the future, will you want your pda to be able to get on the internet, or not!

In the same way, knowone's buying phones without cameras, people will want there phones... smarter

Believe me, your kids will laugh at the idea of a PDA that can't get on the internet, send emails... video conference.

This is one market where convergence is king

but not yet, and not until two things happen in the american markets: there is a reasonably priced smartphone (500-700usd in our economy is not reasonable and is not going to break into any sort of real marketshare) and cell phone plans wiht data need to be cheaper. yes, the p900 was a big seller but not over here, because its too damn expensive. and apple is not in a position to create a new wireless network, and none of the current carriers has made any moves towards reducing prices considerably. im willing to concede convergence might be king, or it might evolve beyond pda entirely...but not now, and i dont think apple has the resources to create it.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Anyone who thinks a smartphone can replace a PDA has never really used a PDA. In my current PDA I have 87 memo files, 30 or so short notes, 250 things to do, and about 400 contacts, complete with multiple addresses, multiple phone numbers, and multiple emails. You can't work with that amount of information on a smartphone.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
hmm...maybe apple will join the fray after all.
Motorola releases new smartphone with innovative design.

after all, can't let motorola get ahead.

seriously though, if you look around on brighthand today, there were two new smartphones announced, a new pda, and rumors of two more. this is getting to a point of such saturation that apple would be better off waiting until the market truly evolves to something that will allow for more players on the field...with how tightly controlled and proprietary each pda is theres less and less room to maneuver and more and more pdas trying to crowd in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.