Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I find it ironic that even though Apple will be buying from a Korean company instead, the flash is still made in China.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I find it ironic that even though Apple will be buying from a Korean company instead, the flash is still made in China.

Again, it isn’t about where the part is assembled, it is about who gets the design plans for the part.

In this case a Korean company gets the design plans rather than a Chinese company. No one cares where the assembly line is located.

rmariboe

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
That’s not the reason according to Tim in a recent interview; he claimed it was due to a lack of skilled workers in the United States. Basically said Americans are too dumb to assemble an iPhone with any sort of accuracy…
That goes in line with American vs Chinese and European production standards for cars - not sure they’re dumb; more like inaccurate/sloppy 🤔

blazerunner

Suspended
Nov 16, 2020
Anyone remember when Apple needed Samsung to gobble up all NAND memory around 2005 for their ipods and made it difficult if not impossible for other MP3 player manufacturers like Rio, Creative, iAudio, etc. to get pushed out of the market because they couldn't afford to buy memory at a fair price since Apple created it's own monopoly?

Apple's always been shady and Samsung has helped Apple become what they. So I REALLY don't understand all the ridiculous complaints in this thread.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Anyone remember when Apple needed Samsung to gobble up all NAND memory around 2005 for their ipods and made it difficult if not impossible for other MP3 player manufacturers like Rio, Creative, iAudio, etc. to get pushed out of the market because they couldn't afford to buy memory at a fair price since Apple created it's own monopoly?

Apple's always been shady and Samsung has helped Apple become what they. So I REALLY don't understand all the ridiculous complaints in this thread.
Being the sole *purchaser* of a variant of component does not make a monopoly.

Apple has first dibs on 3nm from TSCM, that’s doesn’t mean they have a monopoly on the manufacturing process.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Again, it isn’t about where the part is assembled, it is about who gets the design plans for the part.

In this case a Korean company gets the design plans rather than a Chinese company. No one cares where the assembly line is located.
Does the Chinese company assembling the part not have the plans? I would think they’d need them.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Does the Chinese company assembling the part not have the plans? I would think they’d need them.
Does the company supplying tires to Ford need to know the schematics of the car they’re being put on? It’s just a component on the assembly line.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016

A Chinese company isn’t assembling the part…..that is the whole point of the blacklist. A Korean company is assembling the part…in China.

A Chinese worker on the assembly line in China does not have access to any designs.

Now the argument you can make is that it is easier for China to conduct espionage on a plant in China over a plant outside of China. The counter argument is that China is conducting espionage’s on plants all over the world and will get the informant one way or another. The blacklist is just to slow down how long it takes them to get the information.

FindingAvalon

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2021
It seems so pedantic and hypocritical of the US government to have all these blacklists and trade bans, when let’s be honest most American and western companies have stuff made in China.
You sound pretty naive and oblivious

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
A Chinese company isn’t assembling the part…..that is the whole point of the blacklist. A Korean company is assembling the part…in China.

A Chinese worker on the assembly line in China does not have access to any designs.

Now the argument you can make is that it is easier for China to conduct espionage on a plant in China over a plant outside of China. The counter argument is that China is conducting espionage’s on plants all over the world and will get the informant one way or another. The blacklist is just to slow down how long it takes them to get the information.

I do get that, it’s just interesting that even Korea has its production in China. All Chinese companies are beholden to the CCP, which I thought was the larger issue.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Apple has enough money that they could start their own production facilities if they wanted to. That would help them cut out Samsung.

They just don’t want to.
I doubt they could build their own production facilities and be competitive in terms of IP and Memory Chip design.
I would say it's the other way around, Samsung the market leader in memory chips is the one landing a hand to apple.

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Economy and politics are tied to each other much closer than you seem to realize.

Wrong. The China economy is 1/3 of the USA. Its all smoke and mirrors and its starting to leak all the lies about the Chinese economy . Do some research and you will find out.

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Should really just add all of China to that “unverified” list. India has all the advantages of China without being a threat to Western society.

China is a second world country with all that technology and efficient society, where as India is a third world country with all of the problems.

blazerunner

Suspended
Nov 16, 2020
Being the sole *purchaser* of a variant of component does not make a monopoly.

Apple has first dibs on 3nm from TSCM, that’s doesn’t mean they have a monopoly on the manufacturing process.
Yah as if there wasnt a back door deal between them. Please... Apple HAS created a monopoly and would gladly do so wherever possible by any means possible if it meant they'd be out of legal troubles.

Stop cheerleading for Apple.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
I got excited when the 14 Pro does not have a Samsung display, all for the SSD to be made by Samsung 😭

I don't support Samsung one bit, and I think if Tim Cook was not in charge, he would not choose Samsung as the SDD manufacturer.

robd003

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2007
It always a good thing when Apple becomes less reliant on Chinese companies. Diversification of the supply chain makes it more resilient.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I do get that, it’s just interesting that even Korea has its production in China. All Chinese companies are beholden to the CCP, which I thought was the larger issue.

Ya, just like the US, Japan, Korea, Taiwan etc companies have now moved almost all their production to China. The big difference though, is that Korean, Japanese and Taiwanese companies actually own their on production facilities in China, whereas US companies have pretty much ended manufacturing and instead contracts out to Chinese manufacturers for what they want. I think that difference is largely down to historical differences of when manufacturing moved.

But until the last few years, there were no Chinese companies that could manufacture parts for the iPhone. So this whole issue is all new.

Reactions: CarAnalogy

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Yah as if there wasnt a back door deal between them. Please... Apple HAS created a monopoly and would gladly do so wherever possible by any means possible if it meant they'd be out of legal troubles.

Stop cheerleading for Apple.
I’m not cheerleading for Apple, they’re one of the biggest tax cheats (“legally”) on the planet.

What I am doing is pointing out that your use of the word monopoly is wrong. Getting first dibs on a component order because you spent a metric crap ton of money is not a monopoly.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Should really just add all of China to that “unverified” list. India has all the advantages of China without being a threat to Western society.
india is too corrupt and bureaucratic to replace china as a global manufacturer hub. not to mention they do not have the infrastructure to handle it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.