Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrkevinfinnerty

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2022
They fired him for this? Apple really is run by woke mobs

Like when they hired Antonio García Martínez and then fired him because the mobs objected.

Reactions: NetMage

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Just to be clear. I never said we should say n****** in our day to day lives. I am saying however, if there is no malice in its use, there should be no negative repercussions.

Reading Huckleberry Finn out loud for example. If, in the course of conversatio, n***** Joe is brought up, we shouldn’t go to DEFCON 1. Or if a white person is singing along to a black rappers lyrics, them singing n*****I should not be a problem.

My point is, a word has no power if we don’t give it any. I also feel that, unless all black people stop calling each other n*****, that word will always exist. Set an example, be the change you want to see, and all those other positive aphorisms. You don’t see Jewish people going around calling each other k***.

At the end of the day, what you say or joke about should not matter, how you treat other people should.

I keep coming back to you talking about joking about the N word. I appreciate much of what you are saying, but using the N word in a joke is incredibly wrong. We are not talking about "just" a racist word here, it goes deeper given that it ties back to slavery. This isn't a word to joke about. You say how you treat people is what should matter, but using the N word is treating African Americans with contempt. You know they don't want you using the word, so why use it?

Reactions: 1@@@

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
The leftists & the liberal democrats thrive on cancel culture. They love destroying innocent people’s lives for making harmless jokes or comments. Thank god for outlets like The Daily Wire and PragerU and Turning Point USA who are fighting back against this cultural insanity.

cosmichobo

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
The leftists & the liberal democrats thrive on cancel culture. They love destroying innocent people’s lives for making harmless jokes or comments. Thank god for outlets like The Daily Wire and PragerU and Turning Point USA who are fighting back against this cultural insanity.
And thank god more and more of us have empathy.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
I've had several Mercedes , I certainly wouldn't brag about owning them

Unreliable tacky crap relying on their badge and history ...

I've had the same experience. However, this is a souped up McLaren (joint venture) that wpuld be a lot of fun.

He’ll get hired somewhere else for an even bigger salary.

Undoubtedly. TBH aside from his comment about fondling women's breasts, I thought it was all pretty funny. [Edit: other comments suggest it's all lifted from a movie... c'mooon... this is a joke that he's been sacked IMO!]

Last edited:

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
A SLR McLaren is not your typical C230.

Yeah my in-laws drive a Benz and TBH it's kinda uncomfortable.

In short the unadjustable back seatbelts choke me around the neck, the (weird/unnecessary) automatic sunshades are always jammed and I dunno what they were thinking with the interior as everything's really chunky and there's purple LEDs all over the place. Have literally been in Toyotas and Subarus that are more comfortable.

As Steve Jobs would probably say about an SLR McLaren though... it's not the kinda car that dentists drive.

Reactions: George Dawes

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
Your analogy is nonsensical and irrelevant for the reasons I already went over.

It’s not so much that I think he should have been fired so much as I understand why he was. Of course he’s going to get fired for saying something like that on camera.
Youre being evasive of the question. If you understand why he was fired, what is that understanding, and do you agree with?

Dont handwave it with “of course hes going to get fired”. Its already established he was fired. We’re discussing the root cause.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Youre being evasive of the question. If you understand why he was fired, what is that understanding, and do you agree with?

Dont handwave it with “of course hes going to get fired”. Its already established he was fired. We’re discussing the root cause.

I'm not being evasive of the question.

1. It doesn't matter what I think or want.
2. I told you that it's not so much that I wanted him fired, and that's specifically because I don't care.
3. I also told you that I absolutely understand why he was fired

That's your answer.

You're upset that the world has changed, and that you can't say whatever you want without consequences anymore, and it's easier to blame everyone else for your problems than it is to accept that what this man did - which is presumably what you'd like to be able to do also - was unprofessional. That's a you problem, friend.

Reactions: 1@@@

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006

This has to be one of the silliest things I've ever read. Cancel culture is a term you all came up with to re-brand something that's always been the case:

Actions. Have. Consequences.

Society has only done what it's always done, which is continue to evolve, and that means that some awful things that people used to say and do freely, are no longer tolerated by society, and so consequences have started to apply.

Pro tip: you don't get to decide what's harmless or not. You get to decide whether you personally take offense to jokes or comments, but they might really bother other people. And they have just as much of a right to live a life free of oppression and harassment as anyone else.

Your side lacks empathy for others. Instead you only think about yourselves. You never stop to think about how anyone else other than yourself might feel about something, but if upsetting others might come with consequences, suddenly you're the victim. You can imagine the Olympic gold eye rolling I'm doing right now.

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
How about your assumption that "binary word choices" is the only measure I use for thinking about how people talk to each other.

No assumptions required. In this thread you repeatedly categorized words as verboten or not, ignoring the competing argument that the context and intent matters more than mere utterance.

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I'm not being evasive of the question.

1. It doesn't matter what I think or want.
2. I told you that it's not so much that I wanted him fired, and that's specifically because I don't care.
3. I also told you that I absolutely understand why he was fired

That's your answer.

You're upset that the world has changed, and that you can't say whatever you want without consequences anymore, and it's easier to blame everyone else for your problems than it is to accept that what this man did - which is presumably what you'd like to be able to do also - was unprofessional. That's a you problem, friend.

Again and again, you danced around the questions. *I* am asking *you* what you think: (a) should he be fired (b) why/why not

Nobody is asking the Apple folks. They arent in this thread.

But you are here in this thread, and if you are not engaging in the discussion, why do you continue to post?

Ill answer: because you lack substance. You would continue to contradict yourself - like youve already done with claiming to not care about this issue while continuing to talk about it.

Keep skirting around tho.

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
This has to be one of the silliest things I've ever read. Cancel culture is a term you all came up with to re-brand something that's always been the case:

Actions. Have. Consequences.

Society has only done what it's always done, which is continue to evolve, and that means that some awful things that people used to say and do freely, are no longer tolerated by society, and so consequences have started to apply.

Pro tip: you don't get to decide what's harmless or not. You get to decide whether you personally take offense to jokes or comments, but they might really bother other people. And they have just as much of a right to live a life free of oppression and harassment as anyone else.

Your side lacks empathy for others. Instead you only think about yourselves. You never stop to think about how anyone else other than yourself might feel about something, but if upsetting others might come with consequences, suddenly you're the victim. You can imagine the Olympic gold eye rolling I'm doing right now.
Everything. Have. Consequences.

The thoughts you think everyday, "evolvement of the society" that you are talking about will certainly have consequences. A comic actor who thinks that he can run a country can have a devastating consequences for the entire world.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Again and again, you danced around the questions. *I* am asking *you* what you think: (a) should he be fired (b) why/why not

Nobody is asking the Apple folks. They arent in this thread.

But you are here in this thread, and if you are not engaging in the discussion, why do you continue to post?

Ill answer: because you lack substance. You would continue to contradict yourself - like youve already done with claiming to not care about this issue while continuing to talk about it.

Keep skirting around tho.
No, I'm just not taking your bait, and you're upset about that.

You want to be able to blame me personally and say that me, and others like me, are responsible for his getting fired because somehow we all demanded it. But we didn't. AFAIK, Apple didn't cave to pressure, they took care of the situation pretty swiftly, and to their own liking.

I already told you that I don't personally care about him being fired. I wasn't calling for his head, because I don't care. It doesn't affect me, but I absolutely understand why he was fired because he's an executive for a large brand and like it or not, he represents that brand. That's why I continue to post in this thread. Because a LOT of people are having a very difficult time understanding why this person was fired, and it's not hard to understand at all. He exists at a level within Apple that he has the ability to bring negative or positive attention to the company, and he acted in an unprofessional manner and brought negative attention to Apple. So they fired him.

If you want to take it a step further, it's not difficult to understand why comments like this made it difficult for Apple to continue to keep him as an employee. Did he have women working for him on his team that might feel uncomfortable around him after seeing him make the comment he did? What about other companies that Apple might have relationships with that he oversees? Will they now be uncomfortable? Will they look at this man as someone to be respected, or will they now see him as a clown? Will that affect the way other companies do business with Apple? On many fronts, he made himself a liability, and so they ended his employment.

Why is this hard for you to understand?

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Everything. Have. Consequences.

The thoughts you think everyday, "evolvement of the society" that you are talking about will certainly have consequences. A comic actor who thinks that he can run a country can have a devastating consequences for the entire world.
Invading a sovereign country can have devastating consequences for the entire world.

Or you know, your own country. Ukraine mopping the floor with the Russian army, who would have thought? Now everyone knows Russia is a paper tiger.

• Haha
Reactions: avz

thettareddast

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
No, I'm just not taking your bait, and you're upset about that.

You want to be able to blame me personally and say that me, and others like me, are responsible for his getting fired because somehow we all demanded it. But we didn't. AFAIK, Apple didn't cave to pressure, they took care of the situation pretty swiftly, and to their own liking.

I already told you that I don't personally care about him being fired. I wasn't calling for his head, because I don't care. It doesn't affect me, but I absolutely understand why he was fired because he's an executive for a large brand and like it or not, he represents that brand. That's why I continue to post in this thread. Because a LOT of people are having a very difficult time understanding why this person was fired, and it's not hard to understand at all. He exists at a level within Apple that he has the ability to bring negative or positive attention to the company, and he acted in an unprofessional manner and brought negative attention to Apple. So they fired him.

If you want to take it a step further, it's not difficult to understand why comments like this made it difficult for Apple to continue to keep him as an employee. Did he have women working for him on his team that might feel uncomfortable around him after seeing him make the comment he did? What about other companies that Apple might have relationships with that he oversees? Will they now be uncomfortable? Will they look at this man as someone to be respected, or will they now see him as a clown? Will that affect the way other companies do business with Apple? On many fronts, he made himself a liability, and so they ended his employment.

Why is this hard for you to understand?

You assume wrongly about the language I use in my life, my emotional state, and even my motives.

And all I do is ask you extremely straightforward question.

You refuse to answer them, crouching behind claims of “bait”. You write all these long non-sequiturs instead.

Thats a you problem. If you dont want to poop, then get off the pot :)

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
You assume wrongly about the language I use in my life, my emotional state, and even my motives.

And all I do is ask you extremely straightforward question.

You refuse to answer them, crouching behind claims of “bait”. You write all these long non-sequiturs instead.

Thats a you problem. If you dont want to poop, then get off the pot :)
I answered your question. You just didn't get the answer you wanted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.