Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Strange, I don’t remember voting in that referendum.

Good to know where you would’ve stood on the Galileo trials or in worse situations. You know, society deemed many times that [race/type/category] was inferior, so that excused everything, including out of proportions consequences to those who voiced their disagreement.

Hyperbolic, sure, but of course there is no vote. Just the direction the winds are blowing in.

Society continues to evolve, as it always has, and always will. History will remember the way society changed, but will ultimately forget those that yell at the clouds while it does its thing.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Society continues to evolve, as it always has, and always will.
and you know how it happens? With people saying “this is enough”, or “this is wrong”, or “this shouldn’t be what happens when […]”.

Society doesn’t evolve with people saying “oh well, actions have consequences so be it, society decided it this way.”

Thank you for proving why we are saying what we’re saying.

Have a great day.

Reactions: NetMage

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Regarding Whoopi, she's a comedian, and I'm not in favor of censoring comedy at any time, for any reason.

If Whoopie had made that comment on stage, in her capacity as a comedian, I would 100% agree but I would ask this:

Do you feel that Whoopie Goldberg is, in her capacity on The View, acting as comedian or a talk show host? Do you feel she was being funny or was she trying to be cruel? I feel there is a massive difference.

Last edited:

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I guess as @ninethirty stated, "society has deemed" Whoopie acceptable but not Blevins.

You did say what I quoted you as saying, I was quoting your comment on society, that is why I only quoted the "society has deemed" portion, you clearly stated that, at least conceptually, society can deem what is and what is not acceptable behavior with your statement below:

Society has deemed that this sort of behavior isn't ok

So therefore society has deemed that Whoopie's sexual orientation "joke" at the expense of Lindsay Graham is ok, while Mr Blevin's snarky movie quote "joke" is not and "society" took appropriate action. Do you agree? Why specifically is her joke about someones sexuality ok? I would think we as a society are past such things. Is it perhaps the target that made society look the other way?

Last edited:
Reactions: azhava and NetMage

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
Most of the US is "at-will" employment as I understand it, Cali included. Even if some of the popular MacRumors vote seems indicate Mr. Blevins did nothing wrong, Apple was well within their rights to terminate him (or ask him to resign)
The problem is that as with any other political topics they usually go much deeper than just "Apple's rights". People slowly but surely begin to understand that they are being somehow reformatted into something new and that somebody else is making that choice for them.

Apple is just folding under the pressure but does this means that everybody else have to? One of the posters seems to imply that it is either fold or ship out but this solves nothing and only creates more problems.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
and you know how it happens? With people saying “this is enough”, or “this is wrong”, or “this shouldn’t be what happens when […]”.

Society doesn’t evolve with people saying “oh well, actions have consequences so be it, society decided it this way.”

Thank you for proving why we are saying what we’re saying.

Have a great day.

Society evolves as we strive to become better.

Nothing worth doing is easy, and we'll always have to fight those who'd rather things stay the same, or even go back to the way things were.

We aren't going back.

You have a great day also.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
You did say what I quoted you as saying, I was quoting your comment on society, that is why I only quoted the "society has deemed" portion, you clearly stated that, at least conceptually, society can deem what is and what is not acceptable behavior with your statement below:

So therefore society has deemed that Whoopie's sexual orientation "joke" at the expense of Lindsay Graham is ok, while Mr Blevin's snarky movie quote "joke" is not and "society" took appropriate action. Do you agree? Why specifically is her joke about someones sexuality ok? Is it perhaps the target that made society look the other way?

You're reaching.

The vast majority of people who have an opinion on societal and cultural norms are probably unaware of this situation with this dude who worked for Apple, or whatever happened with Whoopi Goldberg recently.

No, I do not agree with the way you stated things. I've already said this, but I'll say it again and hopefully you hear me this time. Disney (or whoever produces the view) has deemed Whoopi's comment to be reasonable enough to not terminate her contract, while Apple has deemed Blevin's comment to be a bridge too far for them, and they have ended his employment with them.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
If Whoopie had made that comment on stage, in her capacity as a comedian, I would 100% agree but I would ask this:

Do you feel that Whoopie Goldberg is, in her capacity on The View, acting as comedian or a talk show host? Do you feel she was being funny or was she trying to be cruel? I feel there is a massive difference.
Was Whoopi not on a stage when she made that comment?

I think Lindsey Graham being gay is about the worst kept secret on the planet, and she was making a joke about that. It's up to Disney now to decide whether or not they're ok with what she said.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
You're reaching.

The vast majority of people who have an opinion on societal and cultural norms are probably unaware of this situation with this dude who worked for Apple, or whatever happened with Whoopi Goldberg recently.

No, I do not agree with the way you stated things. I've already said this, but I'll say it again and hopefully you hear me this time. Disney (or whoever produces the view) has deemed Whoopi's comment to be reasonable enough to not terminate her contract, while Apple has deemed Blevin's comment to be a bridge too far for them, and they have ended his employment with them.

So then you are ok with a "joke" about someone's sexual orientation being acceptable as long as Disney thinks it is? But a potentially crude movie quote is not because Apple says so?

So basically whatever big business says goes? Which is code for the almighty dollar sets societal rules.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
Was Whoopi not on a stage when she made that comment?

I think Lindsey Graham being gay is about the worst kept secret on the planet, and she was making a joke about that. It's up to Disney now to decide whether or not they're ok with what she said.

Now who is reaching? Those stages are vastly different.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
So then you are ok with a "joke" about someone's sexual orientation being acceptable as long as Disney thinks it is? But a potentially crude movie quote is not because Apple says so?

So basically whatever big business says goes? Which is code for the almighty dollar sets societal rules.
That's right. This is literally an issue of "does the employer find this acceptable or not?"

I tried to mention much earlier on, but was dismissed, that what any of us think about this situation means literally nothing. It doesn't matter if you think the joke was fine, or offensive. ALL that matters is what Apple thinks of what Blevin said, and what Disney thinks of what Whoopi said.

I don't care about either situation at all. But I'm all for arguing with people who don't understand what "free speech" actually means.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Now who is reaching? Those stages are vastly different.

Are they? Was Whoopi hired for her extensive background as a talk show host? No, she was hired because she's a comedian.

She's on a stage, doing her thing, for entertainment.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

@ninethirty I am specifically asking if you are ok with the above? Do you personally think it is ok to make a joke about a person's sexual orientation? Be brave, go on record.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Just asking a question of someone I am debating with.
I don't see how answering the question is relevant to the debate, and I'd prefer we keep things on topic, so I'll reiterate what I've already said (about 3 times now).

She's a comedian, so I expect her to do a comedians job, I'm not in favor of censoring comedians since they make their point through comedy, and ultimately it doesn't matter what I think about what she said, it matters what her employer thinks, and I'm not her employer.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
considering that they don’t hand out Comedian ID cards, if I open a “comedy blog” can I say whatever I want because I am a comedian?

You can say whatever you want whenever you want. You don't need to be a comedian to do so.

*Just be careful not to lose your day job if you happen to say some really awful things!

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I'm confused. Whoopi made hateful comments?

Sure did. If the target of her "joke" was in fact gay and was keeping that a secret, wouldn't outing that person be a hateful act? As I understand it the act of "coming out" is a very personal thing that one needs to be ready for and "being outted" can be very traumatic.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Sure did. If the target of her "joke" was in fact gay and was keeping that a secret, wouldn't outing that person be a hateful act?

Here's the exchange that you're describing as hateful:

"Senator Graham said maybe about a month ago, in early August, that he believes, when it comes to marriage, when it comes to abortion, it's for the states to decide, so, Senator Graham, what changed?" Jean-Pierre asked, to which Goldberg responded: "Well, maybe he's getting married? Do it quick, because I know people are fooling around with our marriage rights, wherever you stand."

I'm failing to see the hate in there.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Very convenient for you to turn a blind eye.

I'm failing to see the hate in that exchange because there isn't any. Can you point out the part of her comment that's rooted in hate? She didn't say anything crude, or vulgar, she wasn't offensive, and she didn't belittle anyone for their sexual orientation or make them out to be less than in any way.

Sorry friend, but this was a weak example to hang your hat on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.