Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
😂 Moral posturing? I'm not the one up in arms because someone quoted a line from a movie. A movie sold by Apple.

It was an announcement. Without the need to announce it to the world I'm honest with who I am, to the point in which it drives some of you nuts because you have no idea who I am.

You should just say, "You know I've been thinking about this and you are right." It's much easier than going with the ad hominem approach. 😂
"The ad hominem approach?" The entirety of my single reply to you is here, and I can't find an ad hominem attack. If you have an example, please share it.

When you run a tech company and you hear that a company executive has said something in public that may be problematic or offensive to employees, stockholders and customers, then you can defend them as you wish. Until then, though, you just have to live with the fact that Apple and others don't share your values. That they make decisions you disagree with. That they support some people and groups that you don't, and that they treat people in a way you wouldn't.

Facing that truth, it may be best to learn to live and let live.

Razorpit

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2021
"The ad hominem approach?" The entirety of my single reply to you is here, and I can't find an ad hominem attack. If you have an example, please share it.

When you run a tech company and you hear that a company executive has said something in public that may be problematic or offensive to employees, stockholders and customers, then you can defend them as you wish. Until then, though, you just have to live with the fact that Apple and others don't share your values. That they make decisions you disagree with. That they support some people and groups that you don't, and that they treat people in a way you wouldn't.

Facing that truth, it may be best to learn to live and let live.
Here let me help you, “Also, it hasn't been called "sexual preference" in like 30 years. #datedreference” adds nothing to the conversation.

The social justice warriors who are ”frothing at the mouth“ for this guy’s firing shouldn’t be sleeping until Dre is gone. The weak kneed, pandering executives are becoming a parody of everything they proclaim they are for. As a shareholder I have a right to complain. If you are a fan of Apple you should too. Apple lost a valuable member of it’s team for saying something stupid, while keeping a one-trick pony and complete piece of trash on the payroll.

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
Here let me help you, “Also, it hasn't been called "sexual preference" in like 30 years. #datedreference” adds nothing to the conversation.

That's it? Wow. Okay. I guess I didn't actually say anything that met the definition of the phrase ad hominem. Though if you were offended when I alerted you to your usage of an outdated term, I'm so very, deeply, sorry.

Now I know what people mean when they call others "snowflake."

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006

The social justice warriors who are ”frothing at the mouth“ for this guy’s firing shouldn’t be sleeping until Dre is gone. The weak kneed, pandering executives are becoming a parody of everything they proclaim they are for. As a shareholder I have a right to complain. If you are a fan of Apple you should too. Apple lost a valuable member of it’s team for saying something stupid, while keeping a one-trick pony and complete piece of trash on the payroll.

As I pointed out earlier, and as you're doing now, the only people frothing/foaming at the mouth are the ones moaning about cancel culture.

I bet you couldn't name a single accomplishment of Blevins' without googling him first, but yet you've described him as a "valuable member of it's [sic] team."

The folks at Apple are shareholders too you know, and as shareholders, and employees they have a right to a different opinion, and a responsibility to do what's right for the company.

You're all out here whining about a problem that doesn't exist, meanwhile people that are literal experts in PR and HR situations have commented that Apple 100% did the right thing.

I don't know why you don't all just say what's plain as day to the rest of us:

You want to say whatever you want, whenever you want, in whatever situation you want, regardless of how it makes anyone else feel, and if they do have a problem, it's their thin skin that's to blame. The world is your oyster, and consequences are for others, not you. When other people speak up, and tell you that words like this make them uncomfortable, bother them, offend them, whatever, they're just ruining your fun and when companies fire people for saying things that they find to be unacceptable and inappropriate, it's just another example of them bowing to powers that are trying to ruin the world... for reasons. Everyone else is to blame for my problems in life.

Last edited:

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
You mean Blevin's absolute botch job attempt at a movie quote? What did you find funny about it? Leave the moral issues aside for a bit - what exactly was funny about it? I am genuinely curious to know.
Personally I found it funny because I find self deprecating humour to be the height of satire. Problem is the humourless emotionally stunted don’t get it.

I’ll elaborate, he was drawing self comparison to a drunk crass rich guy while in a setting of wealth at an exotic car show. The context, the quote, the reference is all there.

Muzzakus

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
I think you're being very, very generous to interpret it as self deprecation - but I'll admit that this is the first remotely plausible defense I've seen of it as a comedic offering.

Didn't immediately leap to mind for me, just because rich people boasting about how rich they are, with not a trace of irony, is extremely common on social media.

Bragging about all your money and cars etc is a pool that has been p*ssed in a lot.
This is why people object to this as blindness of cancel culture. A joke, intended to be crass to effectively point out the Crass is not actually sexists. It is indented to be absurd in on itself.

It’s simple, but seemingly key words, not the context send people off. I’m convinced it’s mostly trolls feigning outrage, people en masse cannot be so ignorant.

• Love
Reactions: Arran and Razorpit

1@@@

macrumors regular
May 1, 2022
-

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Reactions: Jumpthesnark

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Personally I found it funny because I find self deprecating humour to be the height of satire. Problem is the humourless emotionally stunted don’t get it.

I’ll elaborate, he was drawing self comparison to a drunk crass rich guy while in a setting of wealth at an exotic car show. The context, the quote, the reference is all there.
Exactly! He was totally hamming it up for the camera. It was obvious. Completely reinforced by his wife's/girlfriend's/companion's hearty guffawing from the passenger seat! I had a good laugh myself.

Gotta say he was a great sport. Made a valiant effort to be original. Doomed by social media scolds, but valiant nonetheless. He knew it, she knew it, the cameraman knew it too. And they all had a good laugh at the silliness of it all.

There really was nothing more to it than that.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
"Under pressure?" I hardly call what happened in that video "under pressure." Especially when you consider Blevins was the guy Apple turned to for tough negotiations. The situation didn't appear to make him uncomfortable in the least.

well, I’d say it’s still possibly it was a certain sort of social pressure. I saw he had a female in the car and I don’t know the exact relationship going on there, but his sexual arrousal state could have figured into some macho-man showing off - trying to ham it up and be a funny guy. Maybe he was going to be having some sex soon. I’d say it equates to a particular type of real psychological “pressure”.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
well, I’d say it’s still possibly it was a certain sort of social pressure. I saw he had a female in the car and I don’t know the exact relationship going on there, but his sexual arrousal state could have figured into some macho-man showing off - trying to ham it up and be a funny guy. Maybe he was going to be having some sex soon. I’d say it equates to a particular type of real psychological “pressure”.

And of course that's no excuse (not sure if you think it is, but just in case you do 😉). It doesn't take much self-control to NOT say what he said, especially if you know it's being recorded.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
And of course that's no excuse (not sure if you think it is, but just in case you do 😉). It doesn't take much self-control to NOT say what he said, especially if you know it's being recorded.

Right or wrong I’m not judging too hard here. I’m saying I can sort of understand how such troubles happen. Some loudmouth guys are more susceptible to trying to be a funny guy and then the have regrets.

Punish or forgive or overlook or ignore us up to our society.

I’d say overlook it and forget it

Reactions: azhava

Jumpthesnark

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2022
California
I think you're making a lot of assumptions about his state of mind and his plans for the evening as a possible cause for what he said. I will agree with you, however, that he was definitely showing off. Whether it was for her benefit, or for the person with the camera, or if that's just how he always behaves, we can't know.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

This is why people object to this as blindness of cancel culture. A joke, intended to be crass to effectively point out the Crass is not actually sexists. It is indented to be absurd in on itself.

It’s simple, but seemingly key words, not the context send people off. I’m convinced it’s mostly trolls feigning outrage, people en masse cannot be so ignorant.

This guy fired himself. I don't care what his intent was or where the quote was from - if you're in a position of leadership and you publicly utter the words "I like to fondle big-breasted women" as if they're coming from you, you're going to have problems. He demonstrated extremely poor decision making here, and unfortunately for him, when you're at certain levels of leadership, you don't get a reset button. So don't be upset at anyone except him - he brought this on himself.

Also, people who don't think vulgar humor is funny aren't "humourless" or "emotionally stunted". They just have a more refined sense of humor that doesn't require playground/locker room talk to make people laugh.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I’d say overlook it and forget it

On a personal level, I'd agree. But when what that person said is going to cause issues due to their prominent position in a corporation, a company is doing the right thing by letting them go. Even if they publicly and sincerely apologize, a certain level of damage has already been done.

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
On a personal level, I'd agree. But when what that person said is going to cause issues due to their prominent position in a corporation, a company is doing the right thing by letting them go. Even if they publicly and sincerely apologize, a certain level of damage has already been done.
Doing the right thing from a corporation perspective can(and will) result in doing the wrong thing from a perspective of all humankind. Which one would you put first? How safe is the idea to re-format a society? What implications will it have down the road?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Doing the right thing from a corporation perspective can(and will) result in doing the wrong thing from a perspective of all humankind. Which one would you put first? How safe is the idea to re-format a society? What implications will it have down the road?

You are joking, right? Apple fired an executive for being lewd in public. Simple as that. That changes absolutely nothing in society except to maybe make other executives with similar dirty minds to this guy exercise some self-control, which would be a good thing for society. This is nothing new. It's happened many times over many years to employees or executives who exercise extremely poor judgment. Somehow "humankind" has survived 🤣

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
You are joking, right? Apple fired an executive for being lewd in public. Simple as that. That changes absolutely nothing in society except to maybe make other executives with similar dirty minds to this guy exercise some self-control, which would be a good thing for society. This is nothing new. It's happened many times over many years to employees or executives who exercise extremely poor judgment. Somehow "humankind" has survived 🤣
I see, the "little things and decisions" that mean nothing at all until they do. Some processes are stretched in time and it is not always easy to predict an accurate outcome.

Making people afraid and speak less let alone joke is obviously a good and fairly innocent start, right? What can possibly go wrong?

• Love
Reactions: Razorpit

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Again, according to the OP, he was fired after an internal investigation. Not simply because he made a lewd joke. We don't know what the internal investigation found.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.