Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjkihlbom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Apple just released beta 1.1 of Boot Camp which includes the following:

Support for the latest Intel-based Macintosh computers
Easier partitioning using presets for popular sizes
Ability to install Windows XP on any internal disk
iSight camera support
Support for built-in microphones
Right-click when pressing the right-hand Apple key on Apple keyboards
Improved Apple keyboard support including Delete, PrintScreen, NumLock, and ScrollLock keys

Get it at http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/.

Someone try this on a Mac Pro!

cjkihlbom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
Great! I'm also downloading it (202 Mb? WTF?) and will try it on my MacBook when I find my copy of Windows.

Looking forward to hearing your results on the Mac Pro!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
cjkihlbom said:
(202 Mb? WTF?)
It contains all the drivers for the iMac/MacBook/MBP and Mac Pro hardware variations. What did you expect?

What they should consider is make the installer download the drivers and create the ISO image on the fly for your given hardware...

B

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Danksi said:
Ability to install Windows XP on any internal disk <--- that'll be the Mac Pro then! :)
I thought
Support for the latest Intel-based Macintosh computers
was a bigger hint. (I guess you could kludge another "internal" drive into some of the consumer Macs, by removing the optical drive and/or bringing one of the SATA lines external to the enclosure.)

B

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Dang, just the day after I installed XP using Boot Camp for the first time ...

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
balamw said:
I thought

.....was a bigger hint.

Too obvious! :rolleyes:

balamw said:
(I guess you could kludge another "internal" drive into some of the consumer Macs, by removing the optical drive and/or bringing one of the SATA lines external to the enclosure.)

Sounds like Frankenstein's bride...

Mr. Mister

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2006
This is great news, it's stupid they didn't get this out on the Mac Pro release but at least they didn't push premature drivers.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases Boot Camp 1.1

Apple has quietly posted an update to Boot Camp to version 1.1. According to the Boot Camp page, the new version remains in beta and contains many updates for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users.

New features include:

• Support for the latest Intel-based Macintosh computers
• Easier partitioning using presets for popular sizes
• Ability to install Windows XP on any internal disk
• iSight camera support
• Support for built-in microphones
• Right-click when pressing the right-hand Apple key on Apple keyboards
• Improved Apple keyboard support including Delete, PrintScreen, NumLock, and ScrollLock keys

Boot Camp is Apple's Windows-on-the-Mac solution, allowing owners of Intel-based Macs to install and boot Windows XP alongside Mac OS X. Unlike virtualization solutions, Apple's solution requires you to reboot your machine to switch from one operating system to another.

Boot Camp was originally released in April 2006, and the final version is expected in Leopard Mac OS X 10.5 which is due in the Spring of 2007.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Anything to improve the experience of running Windows on a Mac for those potential switchers who are wavering has got to be good.

Nice to see iSight support etc creeping in.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I might finally download it and install the Vista Beta on my MacBook.

...I can't believe I am considering installing Windows on my Mac. :eek:

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
plinden said:
Dang, just the day after I installed XP using Boot Camp for the first time ...
Why dang? If you burn a new drivers disc under 1.1, install under your windows partition, surely you won't have lost too much under the old regime.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
So anyone know how I get a the isight support without completely removing Windows and reinstalling?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
LastLine said:
So anyone know how I get a the isight support without completely removing Windows and reinstalling?
steve_hill4 said:
If you burn a new drivers disc under 1.1, install under your windows partition, surely you won't have lost too much under the old regime.
That's what I was planning to do.

B

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
So after this update, what Mac features does Apple still not support?

Front Row (or the infrared port), but what else...?

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
My memory fails me but doesn[' tthe driver disk burn outside of OS X? I'm confused on this one.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
LastLine said:
My memory fails me but doesn[' tthe driver disk burn outside of OS X? I'm confused on this one.
No, it's burned as part of the Boot Camp install withing OS X, or you can find the DMG/ISO and burn it manually.

B

cparker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
I can't wait to get home to try this...now I wonder: If the iSight is now supported, will it work with Live Messenger? And more importantly, will this be a sign that iChat in Leopard will work with MSN/Live Messenger next year??

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
steve_hill4 said:
Why dang? If you burn a new drivers disc under 1.1, install under your windows partition, surely you won't have lost too much under the old regime.
Because I wouldn't have had to do it if I'd waited a day ... I'm just being lazy.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Hm I'll give it a go. Does bootcamp allow me to burn the driver disk without using the full installer then? Know what? :) I'll go play and find out :)

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Finally, drivers for the iSight. This is going to make the mac a very good solution for people who need both OS X and Windows. :) Yay for Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.