Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightLord

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2005
iSight support is cool, but then again, if you wanna videochat to MSN from within OS X, just grab crossover when it comes out....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Add me to the list of people very excited about iSight drivers, please. This makes me want a MacBook even more ... although I think I can still wait for Core 2 Duo... :)

Trippy Jr

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
NightLord said:
iSight support is cool, but then again, if you wanna videochat to MSN from within OS X, just grab crossover when it comes out....

Or use aMSN now.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Any internal drive = yeah :)
No external drives = boo :(

I don't want to mess up my internal HDDs for windows, or partition my single HDD in to seperate chunks. It would be great to have an external windows you could change from mac to mac.

cparker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
Trippy Jr said:
Or use aMSN now.

From my experience, aMSN video works (barely :rolleyes: ) but no audio.
Maybe it's just me...

Text chat isn't the deal for me. Videoconferencing with family long distance is. Many don't have Macs, and being able to cross videoconference with them is a big deal for me, if Apple makes it happen...

macshark

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
OEM version of Windows

Does BootCamp work with an OEM version of Windows XP, or does it require a retail copy?

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
It works on OEM. I was sold a OEM copy and it works fine.
macshark said:
Does BootCamp work with an OEM version of Windows XP, or does it require a retail copy?

This might be a stupid question, but do you have to do the entire install all over again?:confused:

cparker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
macshark said:

I used an OEM version of XP Pro with SP2, and it works perfectly.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
macshark said:

Officially it needs a retail copy, but I believe that OEM copies work too (as do MSDN copies).

jaxstate said:
This might be a stupid question, but do you have to do the entire install all over again?:confused:

"If you previously installed Boot Camp beta, you should update to Boot Camp 1.1 beta. You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Macintosh Drivers for Windows CD and install the updated software it contains on Windows XP. Complete instructions are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the Boot Camp 1.1 beta software."

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
cool..i've never been one for reading.:D
Nermal said:
"If you previously installed Boot Camp beta, you should update to Boot Camp 1.1 beta. You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Macintosh Drivers for Windows CD and install the updated software it contains on Windows XP. Complete instructions are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the Boot Camp 1.1 beta software."

WildPalms

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2006
Honolulu, HI
Fonzie jumps the shark...

cparker said:
I can't wait to get home to try this...now I wonder: If the iSight is now supported, will it work with Live Messenger? And more importantly, will this be a sign that iChat in Leopard will work with MSN/Live Messenger next year??

How on earth did you make the jump to thinking this is a sign that iChat will communicate with MSN/Live Messenger? The MSN client does not support video/audio conferencing. That is something that Microsoft can only change. What makes you think Apple have any control over Microsoft software?
*sheesh*

maximile

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2003
Herefordshire, UK
I wonder if I really need to burn a CD. Couldn't one just open the ISO from inside the package and copy the files across to the Windows partition and then open them from there? (Assuming that it's formatted in FAT, of course).

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
maximile said:
I wonder if I really need to burn a CD. Couldn't one just open the ISO from inside the package and copy the files across to the Windows partition and then open them from there? (Assuming that it's formatted in FAT, of course).

Yes. I've done this before and it works fine.

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
maximile said:

There is a menu option to save the Macintosh Driver files to a folder. You can then copy the EXE to a USB key, or Windows Accessible drive to run.

Another big thing, is apple supported remapped keys (although input remapper works well) and support for killing the built-in speakers when plugging in headphones.

yeahhhhhhh

-Compufix

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
A few notes for some of the people that have been posting in this thread:

1. aMSN does support video with iSights (I often use it with my external one) but doesn't support audio. If you want to do video conferencing to someone with a PC I recommend using aMSN + Skype, it works great for me.

2. Windows on an external disk isn't as great as it sounds. OS X installs can often be used without any problems in another computer with different internals. This even worked with the transition kit installations. Installing OS X on an external hard drive on a DTK and then putting that hard drive in an old iMac G3 works. The new Intel versions of OS X will probably not be backwards compatible with PowerPC machines due to the use of EFI and a different partitioning table, however, switching hard drives between MacBook / MacBook Pro / Mini / iMac and Mac Pro should work as long as OS X is updated to the latest version that was shipped with the Mac.
Windows involves hardware extraction layers and gets very messy if you try to use it in another machine. If its an identical machine it should work and it should also work for Mini to MacBook or iMac to MacBook Pro because they're very similar. A MacPro to any of them will cause issues. All the drivers will be wrong.
So, simply put, being able to install Windows on an external disk would be fine for keeping your Mac innards seperate from Windows entirely but it would be useless for using that install of Windows on various different computers.

cparker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
WildPalms said:
How on earth did you make the jump to thinking this is a sign that iChat will communicate with MSN/Live Messenger? The MSN client does not support video/audio conferencing. That is something that Microsoft can only change. What makes you think Apple have any control over Microsoft software?
*sheesh*

Uhh..because Windows Live Messenger DOES support video conferencing? Because I'm looking at it right now on my iMac with Windows Live Messenger, and I can see myself with the iSight cam with the new drivers within Live Messenger?

"sheesh" indeed...

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
One reason why it may be so big (i'm downloading it now, so I don't know yet) might be new firmware, maybe? Glad to see that it has the iSight drivers. I'm using Boot Camp 1.0.2 and when I try using the iSight in Windows, I get the Blue Screen of Death.

It would be cool if Apple also let people run Linux, too. That would take awhile to do all the drivers and I don't know how many people would use it, but it would be nice.

Spikey115

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2006
Another question

I've been thinking about this for a while. When I upgrade to Leopard with final version of Boot Camp, will the windows partition remain if I upgrade or will I have to re-install Windows? What about windows activation? Also, If I wanted to revert back to a Windows-less Mac, but later install Windows again, Will i have to activate? I hope I won't have to purchase another copy of Windows ever again.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Spikey115 said:
I've been thinking about this for a while. When I upgrade to Leopard with final version of Boot Camp, will the windows partition remain if I upgrade or will I have to re-install Windows? What about windows activation? Also, If I wanted to revert back to a Windows-less Mac, but later install Windows again, Will i have to activate? I hope I won't have to purchase another copy of Windows ever again.
It'll all stay if you do an Archive and Install. No re-activation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.