Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
If the Beta has this imagine what we'll see with the real product when it ships with Leopard.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
I'd like to see Apple include a virtualisation solution in 10.5 Leopard in addition to the final version of Boot Camp.

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I enjoy using bootcamp. But what do you see that's so special. It's just Windows working as it would on any other PC.
amac4me said:
If the Beta has this imagine what we'll see with the real product when it ships with Leopard.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Haha.. i mentioned this to someone earlier who was thinking of getting a MacPro for gaming. I said wait till Apple bring out an updated BootCamp... sure enough, here it is... nice. I still wouldnt need windows but hey :rolleyes:

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Ideally I'd like a solution by Apple, Parallels or VMWare that can use virtualisation to boot a BootCamp install. This would mean emulating the Mac hardware. Something that Apple could easily do if they put their minds to it. Being able to reboot into a pure Windows installation for gaming or run the *same* installation in a window in OS X would be a dream come true.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Spanky Deluxe said:
2. Windows on an external disk isn't as great as it sounds. OS X installs can often be used without any problems in another computer with different internals. This even worked with the transition kit installations. Installing OS X on an external hard drive on a DTK and then putting that hard drive in an old iMac G3 works. The new Intel versions of OS X will probably not be backwards compatible with PowerPC machines due to the use of EFI and a different partitioning table, however, switching hard drives between MacBook / MacBook Pro / Mini / iMac and Mac Pro should work as long as OS X is updated to the latest version that was shipped with the Mac.
Windows involves hardware extraction layers and gets very messy if you try to use it in another machine. If its an identical machine it should work and it should also work for Mini to MacBook or iMac to MacBook Pro because they're very similar. A MacPro to any of them will cause issues. All the drivers will be wrong.
So, simply put, being able to install Windows on an external disk would be fine for keeping your Mac innards seperate from Windows entirely but it would be useless for using that install of Windows on various different computers.

While I understand some people might think of trying to do this, the bigger issue for mobile users like myself is not wanting to eat up space on the limited HD in our computers. If I only need to use Windows once or twice a month (i.e. for doing banking stuff that my bank requires me to use a Windows application for), and the rest of the time I don't want to be bothered with it at all, I don't want it taking up GBs of disk space on my already cramped HD. So, let me put it on an external drive! (Just give me a warning that Windows is hardware specific and cannot be used on a different machine, or something to that effect...)

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
i know it says internal disk, but you think we mihgt be able to convice boot camp to allow for installing on external firewire disk?

maybe these are steps in the right direction... windows on my mac, without windows ON my mac

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Spanky Deluxe said:
Ideally I'd like a solution by Apple, Parallels or VMWare that can use virtualisation to boot a BootCamp install. This would mean emulating the Mac hardware. Something that Apple could easily do if they put their minds to it. Being able to reboot into a pure Windows installation for gaming or run the *same* installation in a window in OS X would be a dream come true.

Here, here!

Isn't VMWare supposed to be able to do that?

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
The only time I really use Windows is for gaming and for Visio. I gamed myself out in a month. I now use it to help my Windows using friends out when they have computer problems.
Willis said:
Haha.. i mentioned this to someone earlier who was thinking of getting a MacPro for gaming. I said wait till Apple bring out an updated BootCamp... sure enough, here it is... nice. I still wouldnt need windows but hey :rolleyes:

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I just downloaded the 1.1 update, and it didn't ask me to make a cd for the new drivers? WTH did I do wrong?

cparker

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2006
jaxstate said:
I just downloaded the 1.1 update, and it didn't ask me to make a cd for the new drivers? WTH did I do wrong?

It doesn't prompt you automatically...you didn't do anything wrong. Just go to the Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder and choose Burn Macintosh Drivers and you should be ready to go :)

theory4themusic

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2004
Eeek help.

Ok. I feel absolutely stupid. Keep in mind here I was born into an apple family and raised on Mac OS my entire life. I've never had to deal with Windows Activation. I recently bought a copy of Windows XP & was running it on parallels when I decided that the graphics excelleration wasn't fast enough. I decided to opt for the more 'native' solution by switching to bootcamp. Now I thought this would be all fine and good, I just deleted my paralells HD Image (oops) and fired up bootcamp & installed XP. It all worked wonderfully, but when I went to activate windows it now tells me that my license is invalad. It's linked to that virtual machine I deleted. Do I seriously have to buy another windows license because my serial number is linked to this non existant machine?!! Arg.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have "27 days" :rolleyes:

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
Ahhh. I would have never thought to do that. thanks:)
cparker said:
It doesn't prompt you automatically...you didn't do anything wrong. Just go to the Boot Camp Assistant in your Utilities folder and choose Burn Macintosh Drivers and you should be ready to go :)

ImAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2006
This is awesome!
The only thing I wonder is if you install Windows Vista Beta 2, if you still have to delete the EFI partion. If you would not need to then it would be great.

Great Apple!

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I don't know how to get around this, but there is a way, and no you don't have to buy another copy of Windows.
theory4themusic said:
Ok. I feel absolutely stupid. Keep in mind here I was born into an apple family and raised on Mac OS my entire life. I've never had to deal with Windows Activation. I recently bought a copy of Windows XP & was running it on parallels when I decided that the graphics excelleration wasn't fast enough. I decided to opt for the more 'native' solution by switching to bootcamp. Now I thought this would be all fine and good, I just deleted my paralells HD Image (oops) and fired up bootcamp & installed XP. It all worked wonderfully, but when I went to activate windows it now tells me that my license is invalad. It's linked to that virtual machine I deleted. Do I seriously have to buy another windows license because my serial number is linked to this non existant machine?!! Arg.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
theory4themusic said:

Call the 1-800-number listed there to get help, they'll usually reset you. Let them know what you did, or you could make up something about the systemboard not working right so you swapped it for another brand

That works sometimes.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
figures. :rolleyes: I redo my entire system over the weekend using Parallels which works pretty well except for games. I do this because Boot Camp up til now has blown a big on on the MBP. without reliable suspend the thing is worthless and borderline dangerous if it wakes up in its neoprene skintight case. (Which it has done on multiple occasions. So I went with Parallels and now this. :rolleyes: Oh well. I'll redo my system again when I get my 160GB hard drive. Until then I'm Civ IV-less. :(

michaelb

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2003
theory4themusic said:
I recently bought a copy of Windows XP & was running it on parallels when I decided that the graphics excelleration wasn't fast enough. ... but when I went to activate windows it now tells me that my license is invalad. It's linked to that virtual machine I deleted. Do I seriously have to buy another windows license because my serial number is linked to this non existant machine?!! Arg.

Phone the customer service number given and explain that you have had to reinstall. If you are pressed for details, explain it is a MacBook. They know all about them.

In 99% of cases they'll simply generate a new product key for you.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
theory4themusic said:

Call Microsoft and beg like a dog. They will give it to you after grilling you over like the prime suspect in a murder case.
But product activation is so easy. How could you possibly be having problems? Only a small group of people ever has problems with PA. YOu must be doing something wrong. yada yada yada. :rolleyes: :mad:
[/minirant=1]
PS- I thank god I have my company's corp license for XP and office 2003. I own both but its nice not having to ask permission from Unkie Gates everytime I want to reinstall. [/minrant=0]

next

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2005
Spain
Sorry, there's something i'm not getting right. I already have a Windows partition (im working on it right now)... So downloading the new Bootcamp makes me have to reinstall Windows or the installation of bootcamp is just to burn the new drivers cd?:confused:

I hope new bootcamp solves the problem with my keyboard passing away after a period of time & having to unplug-plug to make it work again..

thanks!

pincho

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
Sydney, Australia
hmmm now that Apple has created an iSight driver that works in Windows, do u think u could buy an external iSight for a PC and get it to work properly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.