Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released iOS 17.4.1 and iPadOS 17.4.1, minor updates to the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 operating systems. The new software comes a couple of weeks after Apple released iOS 17.4 and iPadOS 17.4 with app changes in the European Union, new emoji, and more.

iOS-17.4.1-Feature-Joe-Blue.jpg

iOS 17.4.1 and iPadOS 17.4.1 can be downloaded on eligible iPhones and iPads over-the-air by going to Settings > General > Software Update. For customers who are still on iOS 16, Apple has also released an iOS 16.7.7 security update.

According to Apple's release notes, the iOS 17.4.1 update includes important security updates and bug fixes.

Apple will likely begin testing iOS 17.5 in the near future, with betas expected to come out in the next two weeks.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 17.4.1 and iPadOS 17.4.1 With Bug Fixes and Security Improvements

Reactions: JapanApple

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
6.46GB...must be something more than just bug fixes and security updates
I think the article is misleading, as it only shows up with a beta profile (so it‘s no public release but a RC).
The reason you get a 6GB update is because you go from a probably stable release (17.4) to a beta profile RC, which always is a full install.

Reactions: windywalks

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Does this mean we can have new iPads now?

Yeah, isn't this the snag that fellow Gurman was yammering about? He made it sound like this was something for an April release, or something.

Dunno. Just trying to fill in the blanks, which are many.

Entilzha

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2020
West Des Moines, IA
I think the article is misleading, as it only shows up with a beta profile (so it‘s no public release but a RC).
The reason you get a 6GB update is because you go from a probably stable release (17.4) to a beta profile RC, which always is a full install.
Patience. It shows up now on my 15 PM and I’m not on any beta. This is definitely a public release and not an RC.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
It's now available to all users, and is only a few hundred MB.

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
No. I have been using a Series 3 which is stuck on WatchOS 8 for a while now and it works perfectly fine. The only thing I have noticed that doesn't work is the Home app.
Well… maybe you can use your series 3 with watchOS 8 and your iPhone on 17.4 because… just like you said - your watch is stuck on watchOS 8?

If you have anything newer than series 3 you are forced to update your watch to watchOS 10.

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ
I wander how long they are gonna take to fix all the new MAJOR bugs in 14.4 Sonoma??

This makes Sonoma totally unusable to me because of Audio Plugin problems. Nice way to sock it to the Apple Pro users. Ventura here I come.
I’m not sure but I don’t think they should delay fixes they have for one OS just so they can release them with fixes for a different one. I understand the interest but bug fixes help us as customers regardless of if they chose to prioritize iOS or macOS first

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.