Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Anyone else getting this Java pop up all the time?
I've downloaded the most recent RTE release and it still doesn't seem to solve the problem.
It's not stopping me from viewing website, but it's starting to get annoying.

yep. It was my main bug in PB1 and it continues with PB2.

Also, yeah I just noticed the "Recently Added" in iTunes and I think it's unnecessary. At least in current form. The album grid should be in a singular context, there shouldn't be another row using the same grid but something different. If they're gonna keep Recently Added it should stand out differently.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
Right.. like the older iTunes had any color whatsoever.

The last one had more, and the one before that had even more..

it's so funny cause i just read 5 minutes ago some rants about yosemite being so colourful and "childish" and mavericks is so clean and professional. you can't please everybody, but common now, who the hell cares about some stupid little icons in iTunes? the smaller they are and the monochromier they are the better. i like to concentrate on the CONTENT, not the UI itself :)

Yeah, I totally disagree with the monochrome people. Color is a good way of organizing/ finding things quickly. And makes for a more intuitive experience. Instead of having to look for the specific shaped icon, you know you just have to click this color button up at the top of the screen. It makes for a much more fluid experience. Plus it looks better… Otherwise I would exchange my HDTV for black-and-white box you know?

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
i do like how the title bar can now share space with the traffic light. frees up a bit more useable window space.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
The last one had more, and the one before that had even more..

iTunes 12 has the same amount of color as before except the icons, contrast and and some various UI has changed. I don't think it's possible to point out somewhere that there was more than color than there is now with iTunes 12.

----------

Wooh, what's up with the new brightness, volume feedback?

Looks weird.

Sound is gone too.

It defaults to off in Yosemite. Turn it on, it's a new sound effect I believe.

marcellux

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
sharing with twitter/facebook

since BETA2 i can't share pictures on Twitter or Facebook.

(this post cannot be sent because the connection to facebook failed)

Last edited:

EddiOS

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
Wooh, what's up with the new brightness, volume feedback?

Looks weird.

Sound is gone too.

This time they reversed it. I like it a lot now that the volume is gone. If you want to hear the sound popping sound (which is now enhanced) you can hold shift as you press volume up or down. Before Yosemite, holding shift gets rid of the popping sound.

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
iTunes 12 still messing up when I add a new album to an existing artist. It creates a new artist from the same name that already exists and does not sort the new album into the pre-existing order. So I now have 2 different "artists" with the exact same name and all other features. Annoying.

hyhybt

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2013
So… how do you get around Error 1004 and actually download this thing? Deleting preferences didn’t work, nor did switching between Mavericks and PB1, nor did signing out and back in. I can download other items from “Purchased,” just not this one.

The one thing (other than Migration Assistant not copying over my Dock contents, bookmarks, and iTunes library) that bothered me in PB1 was not being able to drag an image from one open Mail draft to another, or to the desktop. Probably not something most people ever do, but I do it all the time and it’s weird that the lack of that function is so specific, since doing the same from anywhere else works fine. That makes it look like a deliberate exclusion, but that would make no sense… anyway...

Kind of wondering when they're going to change the spinning beach ball to something that fits the overall design - it'd be interesting to see, I think.
They’re going to do a mix of new and old: replace the beach ball with an updated wristwatch once they start selling those.

Right.. like the older iTunes had any color whatsoever.
Gray is a color…

i do like how the title bar can now share space with the traffic light. frees up a bit more useable window space.
The title bar has always shared space with the traffic light. :)

viizi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
If I download this now and install it, will I have to redownload the entire OS each update and also when it finally releases officially will I have to redownload that entire OS again or is it just updates?

Thanks

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
Is anyone using the Yosemite PB2 as the main OS on the startup disk? I'm tempted to do so, but I'm worried about compatibility issues with MS Office 11.

So far I've been using it on my external HDD and it is smooth as butter. Spotify works great in Yosemite too (in fact it looks way better than in Mavericks, especially in dark mode).

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Is anyone using the Yosemite PB2 as the main OS on the startup disk? I'm tempted to do so, but I'm worried about compatibility issues with MS Office 11.

So far I've been using it on my external HDD and it is smooth as butter. Spotify works great in Yosemite too (in fact it looks way better than in Mavericks, especially in dark mode).

i am, but i don't use Office 11. works fine for me. sometimes safari seems to drag loading pages and my vpn to exchange acct for work seems kindof hit or miss but that could be due to a crappy network at work.

fanta

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2011

i'm using it with office for mac. while it DOES work, it seems to crash a bit more often. that being said, office for mac DOES crash often by default :)
i'm running it as my main system on a second partition for weeks and havent touched mavericks yet.

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
i'm using it with office for mac. while it DOES work, it seems to crash a bit more often. that being said, office for mac DOES crash often by default :)
i'm running it as my main system on a second partition for weeks and havent touched mavericks yet.
I have to open many Office docs... And Pages always screws up the formatting. I've tried to stick with Pages but just couldn't.

It's very tempting to install PB2 on the SSD. Even on an external HDD it works beautifully and it's silky smooth. The major gripe I have is that all my apps treat this as a "new computer", I could have restored a time machine backup, but I think I'll permanently use Yosemite PB once iOS 8 GM is out and update it to official release once it's available.

i am, but i don't use Office 11. works fine for me. sometimes safari seems to drag loading pages and my vpn to exchange acct for work seems kindof hit or miss but that could be due to a crappy network at work.
To me, Safari on PB1 was still really shaky. YouTube can close for no reason, webpages just stop loading all of a sudden... But Safari in PB2 feels a lot better. It actually feels very close to public release quality.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
There IS a difference between Developer Preview 6 and Public Beta 2. They have changed a lot of things, most noticeably those new icons which are visible for the drives, as well as the Spotlight location in the menubar. It does seem more stable and my Preview is not crashing anymore with PB2. This seems more stable, they are making tweaks, changes, and adding stuff...but is not polished and fully ready for primetime yet. There are still bugs. Apple needs to have a better system for working with List View folders with more than 300 documents. That is still not perfected. If you choose "View by Date Added" when you reach a certain number it does not correctly list them or add new files in the correct top-down order, and it does not attribute the time and date to additional files added, after a certain number, say 300 or 400. For instance, a ffolder with saved e-mails or legal client files could present problems when you have a large number of files in list view. Apple had not fixed this issue in Mavericks and it is still persistent in Yosemite. I cannot see why this bug/issue cannot be fixed, because it a basic usability thing that plagues the system. It's a flaw of the Finder, and it needs to addressed.

That is food for thought.

Z400Racer37

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2011
iTunes 12 has the same amount of color as before except the icons, contrast and and some various UI has changed. I don't think it's possible to point out somewhere that there was more than color than there is now with iTunes 12.

You just pointed out yourself that there was more color...

----------

iTunes had colour?

Not a whole lot in the last one, but a lot more two generations ago. They've been greying everything out over time, its ridiculous.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
You just pointed out yourself that there was more color...

----------

Not a whole lot in the last one, but a lot more two generations ago. They've been greying everything out over time, its ridiculous.

They shortened the iTunes Window's top menubar by about half, which was a dark metallic brushed aluminum grey in the previous version. This scale back of the grey features makes the albums in the new versions appear to stand out more with color, since everything is not surrounded by massive amounts of gray. It is all a matter of perception in viewing the window...not additional colorful features or tweaks that have been added. LESS GREY -- COLOR STANDS OUT!!

It also appears that there is slightly more white area in the blank space around each album square, which gives it s bit more pop and contrast too. Just slightly. They HAVE changed the default size for the albums, they are smaller now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.