Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladoslo

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Does anyone use their mac at a higher res than the middle "best" option?

On my 15 inch rMBP late 2013 I use it at "more space" but when I boot up the res is at "best" on the login screen. Then when I login and the white bar starts loading about 1/3 of the way done loading the screen res changes back to "more space" so the top left quarter of the screen has it's blurred background and white loading bar but the rest has my un-blurred desktop and another loading bar in the centre. Once it's all loaded though everything stays at "more space". This happened in PB1 as well but didn't happen in Mavericks. In Mavericks the boot up login screen was at "more space" res. Hopefully I'm not the only one? (Long wordy reply sorry :confused:)

Other than that Yosemite is great! (Except the black volume and brightness boxes make them white again please :D)

i use third from the left, so smaller than best (retina)

i have no problems at all and i am running 13 inch rmbp late 2013 with yosemite pb2

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
Not sure if it's Yosemite, but decryption when turning filevault off is now in it's second week for a 256 gb SSD on my mid 2011 MBA

Matt-

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2012
i use third from the left, so smaller than best (retina)

i have no problems at all and i am running 13 inch rmbp late 2013 with yosemite pb2

I changed my res to less than best (retina) and did a reboot and saw it looks like it's meant to which is frustrating because then I changed it back to "more space" and grabbed this screenshot of what I was trying to describe

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 8.09.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 8.09.00 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 252

ladoslo

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
i am getting heavy problems while running preview for big pdf documents with 200+ pages

its very slow and preview crashes everytime when i want to search

that should be a problem for me cuz i have to operate with big pdf files

rmercier

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2014
I wish for a checkbox to disable that sound, it fill me with dread and always chimes in and wakes the baby up or wife! Really wish that there was a way to turn it off or change its volume to be very very low.

I know it's not a fix, but I always make a conscience effort to mute my volume before restarting, if i don't want the chime to go off, so that chime doesn't go off.

Last edited:

MI MacGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
I installed Beta 1 on my rMBP as a daily driver and literally had zero issues. Could have been the final product for me. This latest Beta 2 has been a few steps for me in terms of stability. Finder is restarting often, Safari is hanging for 5-10 seconds at a time randomly now. Haven't gone super in-depth yet with everything else but for the time being, I'm definitely feeling like a beta tester...

It's still usable so I don't find my life super inconvenienced. Almost all of the transparency effects look better in this beta and the new volume controls are nice. I do still have the boot sound as well.

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
Screenshot iTunes 12

That UI looks awful. Needs a bit of a bezel around the "now playing" section and the spacing of everything is poor.

I remember when Apple's UI Guidelines explicitly did not allow something like this.

Fangio

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
Got the same error message initially in app store via 'purchases'. I must have clicked on the damn thing more than 10 times.

Not sure if this is just voodoo but I trashed the PB1 install app from my applications folder and all of a sudden it started downloading.

I was doing the download from within Mavericks though. I have installed PB1 on an ext HD. After downloading PB2 I just transferred the install app to the applications folder in PB1 and things went smoothly from there on.

Similar experience here, got the 1004 error when I tried to download PB2 for other machines.

Being on a cMP with several HDs/SSDs, it helped to just unmount all drives/partitions containing the PB1 Installer or any Developer Preview versions, that included the DP6 partition, external TM disk, and a bootable USB thumbdrive with the DP5 installer. Then the download of PB2 would start from my main system with Mavericks and configured to receive preview seeds.

freeuser

Suspended
Apr 8, 2013
man is it slow!

Beta 2 on my FW800 SSD is now even slower, around 45 seconds to boot, compared to 25 with Beta 1, Mavericks 11 seconds. Unbelievable slow!

bigmikeinnj

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
River Forest, IL.
Boy I saw there was an update to the first public beta and I held off installing it until this morning. Just did it. I had the 1st public beta on my regular partition so I was stuck with it. (yeah I know not smart move). I had two frustrating wifi issues: I had nothing but trouble printing, even when I shut off the wireless option on the printer and went via the cable it'd still hang up, took a unplug of the power cord to clear it. In some cases 3 times.
My other issue was also wifi related. From the first day I installed the update my Time Machine backup would not run. I figured I would disable the function and since I had an intact backup on the Time Machine from before the upgrade to Beta 1 I'd live. Heck before I bought the Time Capsule I didn't have a backup.

So I was very pleased to see the wifi issues are now gone for me. I can print from my iPhone, iPad and iMac. Yeah. And my Time Capsule now works and backup took a while as I had 5.? GB to backup.

Now I just have to live with how pathetically small all the menu items look to me (I'm the guy with end stage open field glaucoma, legally blind). Joni Ive if you are reading this good sir could you add an option in Accessibility to make those items BOLD and DARKER so a handicapped person can actually see them ?? That would be nice.

Hope the rest of you with issues got them resolved.

hellfried

macrumors regular
May 3, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
Have been on PB 2 for the past 3 hours and have noticed a significant boost in overall snappiness and safari is way faster than on PB 1. I am a happy camper

21" iMac late 2012 model.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
You can shut the startup "bong" off with the program called Onyx...if you have either ML or Mavericks as your main hard drive...go into those operating systems and open Onyx go to "parameters" then click on "login" and at the bottom of the page it gives you the option to turn on or shut off the startup sound/bong. Has worked flawlessly for me. Then when you boot into Yosemite you will not hear the "bong". Though, if you should repair permissions you have to run Onyx again.

I think you can just mute your laptop before turning it off to do the same thing.

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Literally the only weird thing of note that happens on my PB1 is the Install Java message that pops up on startup. Yosemite PB1 overall is an improved experience from Mavericks for me. Reading the horror stories, I'm scared to take the plunge to PB2. :p

MI MacGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2014
As time goes on, I'm having less and less issues. No issues with Finder for a few hours and no Safari freezing during heavy use. Boot time is still substantially slower than PB1 but other than that, feeling slightly better about updating.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yup, still unable to fix those clock icons. They're driving me nuts.

i'm sure there will be no end of world clock extensions available once the OS is released.

----------

As time goes on, I'm having less and less issues. No issues with Finder for a few hours and no Safari freezing during heavy use. Boot time is still substantially slower than PB1 but other than that, feeling slightly better about updating.

I'm having only two problems. Inserting USB drives sometimes goes nuts and requires restart to resolve. And makemkv doesn't work.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
seriously! They've removed the "Translucent menu bar" checkbox on Desktop & Screensaver in System Preferences :confused:

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-22%20at%2017.33.05.png

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
While I've generally enjoyed the Yosemite visual upgrades so far, this latest iTunes seems a little... hmm.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 12.59.02 am.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-23 at 12.59.02 am.png
    51.4 KB · Views: 192
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.