Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suerte66

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
I don't care about color or lack of at this point. It's function that I'm concerned about. And there are some major function issues, especially with this search pop up. I really wish they would nix it and go back to the old way. it worked so much better.

The new search function is useless and slow. I completely agree and miss the old search which was instantaneous and would bring up all matches. They apparently changed this to make iTunes "lighter" but this is a definite step backwards

----------

If you're referring to how iTunes 11 changed search from narrowing down your list (the old search) to offering a popup list of items (the new search), you can still revert back to the old search method.

Click the magnifying glass and then deselect "Search Entire Library". That causes it to revert back to the way search had been done for many years. At least it does for iTunes 11 on Windows.

amazing!

----------

I haven't seen this update to the spotlight search mentioned. I like. :)

I had that in the original but lost spotlight completely in this last update, anyone else lose it?

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
I'm a beta tester but am also bouncing through the DPs on the same machine.

Still prefer the old GUI but that's me. I prefer iOS 7 to iOS 6 but there's something not quite polished about Yosemite. Something's not quite hitting the mark.

Dare I go against principles and say I wish Steve were here to finish it off...

suerte66

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2014
Anybody else found that spotlight has stopped working? The people over on reddit are the only others ones I can find talking about this. Since my update to Beta 2 Spotlight is completely dead. When I try to launch spotlight after a reset the app crashes and the icon disappears. This is the first thing that has made me regret trying out the beta :(

having the same problem, went into system preference and realized something else was using that same "command space", can't remember what it was, but something about an input, something i didn't need, undid that hotkey but spotlight still isn't working right

mcrazza

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2008
Hobart, Australia
Some nice updates with Beta 2. But TBH I didn't notice any improvements with iTunes 12. Of course reading this thread tells me there are changes it's just that I hadn't really noticed.

Is it me or does the updated icons for connected hard drives in Beta 2 look plain AWFUL? Seriously, it looks like it was made by Fisher-Price toys! The blue folder icons in Finder still look garish too.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Now it's working. Silly Chinese internet :rolleyes:

Is this the work of Chinese data centers? Certainly faster than I remember the App Store being.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 13.57.05.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 13.57.05.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 67

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
The translucent menu bar has ceased to be a separate option - now that is controlled by the global "reduce transparency" control.

Hrmm.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Been loving Yosemite so far and haven't had any major issues. It's actually been really smooth... Can't wait to update later today!

Really? From my experience I found huge glitches and bugs myself in the system not even gone into issues with 3rd party yet, no point until public release. It's beta so it's not ready yet so don't expect it to be solid like mavericks is.

For me the UI changes make it very cold and unfriendly, that was a major selling point for the public that it was the friendly os, I feel like they need to make a few things more cute again. I replace all icons with my own and ios styled ones so I don't have to even think when opening apps because they're all the same and speeds up my workflow. Why they are persisting with odd shaped and totally different icons right now is bemusing, I also think the soft squares look warmer and slicker too.

devboi

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Upgrade was fine

Has anyone installed with a 3rd Party SSD yet?

I have, 1gig 3rd party install, no issues and did not have to take any extra steps to update like other sites tell you too. No problems

Mac pro retina 2013 13"
Transcend JetDrive 720 960GB SATA III SSD Upgrade Kit for Macbook Pro with Retina display (Mid 2012 - Early 2013) TS960GJDM720

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
We're in definite agreement on that one :)

However, I'd be interested if Apple wanted to remaster the sound though with more dynamics and clarity. I mean keep the same chord, but I'd love to hear a more crystal clear version of it.

I wish for a checkbox to disable that sound, it fill me with dread and always chimes in and wakes the baby up or wife! Really wish that there was a way to turn it off or change its volume to be very very low.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Whoever thought the rewind button had enough spacing to the left needs to go work for Microsoft.

Do you mean the rewind/play/fast forward buttons together? If so, I agree. They are stupidly far from the volume slider and close to the close/minimise/fullscreen buttons.

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
Is it me or has the way the URL bar in Safari work also changed from the first release. The URL when a page has loaded seems to be on the right hand side of the bar, then when you click in it it moves over to the left.

It's not a big issue, but it's really bugging me when it moves.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Do you mean the rewind/play/fast forward buttons together? If so, I agree. They are stupidly far from the volume slider and close to the close/minimise/fullscreen buttons.

Yes, that's what I meant, it looks like ridiculously lazy design. It is the exact opposite of the care that usually goes into Apple products, which is why I am really wondering whether the person who signed off on that is working with the correct company. :D

hellfried

macrumors regular
May 3, 2008
Penang, Malaysia
Affirmative. Same error here.

Got the same error message initially in app store via 'purchases'. I must have clicked on the damn thing more than 10 times.

Not sure if this is just voodoo but I trashed the PB1 install app from my applications folder and all of a sudden it started downloading.

I was doing the download from within Mavericks though. I have installed PB1 on an ext HD. After downloading PB2 I just transferred the install app to the applications folder in PB1 and things went smoothly from there on.

antmarobel

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2009
Brasília
Well, here's my experience: Yosemite DP6, iOS DP 5 on an iPhone 5S and iTunes 12.0.0.97. Result: ''This iPhone is no longer connected'' again, again and again!!! :eek:

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Startup sound

I wish for a checkbox to disable that sound, it fill me with dread and always chimes in and wakes the baby up or wife! Really wish that there was a way to turn it off or change its volume to be very very low.
You can shut the startup "bong" off with the program called Onyx...if you have either ML or Mavericks as your main hard drive...go into those operating systems and open Onyx go to "parameters" then click on "login" and at the bottom of the page it gives you the option to turn on or shut off the startup sound/bong. Has worked flawlessly for me. Then when you boot into Yosemite you will not hear the "bong". Though, if you should repair permissions you have to run Onyx again.

BrooklynAl

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
iPhoto

I realize that iPhoto will be replaced with Photos but can you run iPhoto on Beta 2? I couldn't run iPhoto on Beta 1.

Matt-

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2012
Strange screen resolution prob

Does anyone use their mac at a higher res than the middle "best" option?

On my 15 inch rMBP late 2013 I use it at "more space" but when I boot up the res is at "best" on the login screen. Then when I login and the white bar starts loading about 1/3 of the way done loading the screen res changes back to "more space" so the top left quarter of the screen has it's blurred background and white loading bar but the rest has my un-blurred desktop and another loading bar in the centre. Once it's all loaded though everything stays at "more space". This happened in PB1 as well but didn't happen in Mavericks. In Mavericks the boot up login screen was at "more space" res. Hopefully I'm not the only one? (Long wordy reply sorry :confused:)

Other than that Yosemite is great! (Except the black volume and brightness boxes make them white again please :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.