Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
Am I the only one who absolutely hates this new iTunes 12 release? I mean seriously, where is the color? It's so hopelessly boring looking...

it's so funny cause i just read 5 minutes ago some rants about yosemite being so colourful and "childish" and mavericks is so clean and professional. you can't please everybody, but common now, who the hell cares about some stupid little icons in iTunes? the smaller they are and the monochromier they are the better. i like to concentrate on the CONTENT, not the UI itself :)

RhythmGuru

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
[/COLOR]

I'm curious. If you're using iOS 8 beta then why are you installing the PBs? Surely as a developer you'll be better off using the DPs?

----------
I'm curious. Are you offering to pay for a Mac Developer account for me?
An IOS developer doesn't need to also be a Mac Developer as well and pay 99 for each account.

Or maybe I just registered my UDID with a developer so I could run the IOS beta and test functionality with my Parallels virtual machine before I upgrade my work Mac and find I have issues. I'm a naughty boy.

BYGino

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2006
I realize that iPhoto will be replaced with Photos but can you run iPhoto on Beta 2? I couldn't run iPhoto on Beta 1.

Works fine for me.

----------

seriously! They've removed the "Translucent menu bar" checkbox on Desktop & Screensaver in System Preferences :confused:

Yeah, I think it's now the default. There will probably be some setting that can be changed through the command line though.

BYGino

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2006
Literally the only weird thing of note that happens on my PB1 is the Install Java message that pops up on startup. Yosemite PB1 overall is an improved experience from Mavericks for me. Reading the horror stories, I'm scared to take the plunge to PB2. :p

If PB1 was fine for you then PB2 will probably be just as good.

BYGino

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2006
So iTunes 12 doesn't have a button for the Mini Player?

That sucks! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

No but it does still have the option in the menu.

----------

With the Beta 1 I had problems waking the computer from sleep. Had a few kernel panics when attempting to wake computer. Has anyone noticed this issue with the Beta 2 update?

Yeah, I did too - so far PB2 is much better.

----------

Everything was working flawlessly for me on my 27" iMac, with the exception of the random wake freeze. After the computer woke up from sleep, it was completely locked up, but I could move the mouse around. Only holding the power button would turn it off. I can't duplicate it on command, but it happened a couple times a day.

Hopefully the public beta 2 fixes this.

As per last message - yes, this seems much better in PB2

crewchief227

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
Above Seattle
Got one unusual glitch already spotted take a look. My external hdd that I use for time machine backups shows that I have used around 60 gb while if I go to about this mac it shows that I have used 300 gb in movies :eek:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 1.24.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 1.24.52 PM.png
    164.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 1.25.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 1.25.21 PM.png
    206.9 KB · Views: 84

crewchief227

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
Above Seattle
Any reports do these betas play nice with Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 apps, like Illustrator and Photoshop? :)

I had a problem with photoshop cc latest update with beta 1. If I did something simple like a content aware fill on a small area it would freeze the program and I would have to click on the Ps icon in the dock then back into the actual open window and then it would continue with the fill. Reported it to Apple as well as Adobe. Never heard anything from Apple but in 20 min I had a programmer from Adobe working with me to try and resolve the issue. He suggested to turn off the use graphics card option but that did not resolve the issue. I haven't tried with Beta 2 as I just installed it a couple hours ago.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Nobody can answer my question in regards to the difference in DP6 and PB2, and if there really *are* any bug fixes/improvements between the two.

I am guessing maybe Apple is releasing the DP6 build as a public beta, given it's pretty stable and much better than the earlier builds, with lots of changes...

I want to install PB2...I am currently running DP6...but don't know if the difference is really worth it.

So, hopefully *someone* who knows SOMETHING will help me here!!!

Thanks

EDIT: By the way, Spotlight works perfectly in DP6 and I am not having a lot of the bugs you guys have reported...maybe the DP6 is a more "fixed" and "ready" build than this Public Beta 2. I honestly don't know.

But...I have the Preview.app bugs/problems...the thing crashes/stalls, and cannot open any files, and will not quit for restart...it totally hangs the system and you have to do a hard reset to restart/shutdown if preview crashes. This Preview.app is very buggy and still far from primetime.

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Can't login to icloud

I'm having major issues trying to login to iCloud. I had to log out and now when I try to login again, it keeps asking for my password.

I am 1000% sure I am putting in my correct password.

When I first upgraded to PB2 the same thing happened when the computer rebooted, it asked for my iCloud password and would not accept my correct password.

But I simply restarted and all was fine.

But apparently there is something in the background that won' let me login again.

Anyone help?

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
ok, that wasn't so bad. Really like the quiet volume control and new look on that, although the edges are a little rough. Glad Dashboard is catching up although the ancient Calculator is still there, so we still have two calculators....I can imagine the developers saying "...we'll figure it out later." I kind of think though that Dashboard would work better and have more continuity in the GUI as kind of a "slide" moving to the right, just like Today/Notifications from the left. Right now it just looks like it switches to a blurred desktop, but at least it's getting there.

iTunes 12 I have no issue with yet, I feel like I'm one of the only people who really likes iTunes overall though. :confused:

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Got one unusual glitch already spotted take a look. My external hdd that I use for time machine backups shows that I have used around 60 gb while if I go to about this mac it shows that I have used 300 gb in movies :eek:

Try get info on the main folder inside, it will say the same thing. It's actually done that for as long as I can remember. I realized it when my 320 GB hard drive contained a 600 GB folder (I actually had 100 GB free). :eek:

Partial explanation: From what I understand, the various backups are essentially symlinked so that they only have to backup 1 of each different file (the restore automatically follows them as part of that date). However the file size must calculate all of the backups together as if you had 10, 20, 30, etc. copies. Put another way, if the only thing you have backed up is a 1 GB video, and that video was "backed up" 50 times, it would list as 50 GB (even though it would only say 1 GB used). I assume they never changed it from this behaviour at least partially because copying this folder to another hard drive would make dozens of copies of the same file and actually take up that much space (at least I assume so, admittedly I've never tried it).

Oh, but you're right, it showing up on that screen is definitely accidental (especially if it isn't even movies ;) ).

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm having major issues trying to login to iCloud. I had to log out and now when I try to login again, it keeps asking for my password.

I am 1000% sure I am putting in my correct password.

When I first upgraded to PB2 the same thing happened when the computer rebooted, it asked for my iCloud password and would not accept my correct password.

But I simply restarted and all was fine.

But apparently there is something in the background that won' let me login again.

Anyone help?

I would try logging into icloud.com in Safari; if you can log in you know your password is fine.

Otherwise, it may be having trouble saving your "session" or accessing it from the keychain, which is usually either a corrupted keychain or a permissions issue (Note: Repairing permissions on the disk does not usually fix this sort of thing). However, it is worth going into the Keychain app->File->Keychain First Aid to see if it can fix the issue.

There might be other things worth trying like resetting ACLs* or restoring backup and reinstalling PB2, but the above would be the first place to go.

*I had this same issue a few times before and this fixed the issue at least once, however I messed with permissions manually and broke it myself...so ymmv.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Hi all

Well like most of you I upgraded to Beta 2 and yes some drastic differences visually, and I cannot complain so far. Im running Yosemite Beta 2 on a 2011 Macbook Air / i7 CPU / 4GB RAM / 256GB SSD, and this OS screams along even in its current form. The only issue I have had is I am waiting for Microsoft to release an update to Outlook which launches, but nothing else.

I am now using Mail in the interim until this Outlook patch is released. My girlfriend even purchased a new HP 3520 printer, and downloaded the latest software from HP and again no a single issue with the HP software or Apple software and the printer scans and prints fine - no a single error message ever. NOTE / WARNING: If you enable iCloud Drive, your data will only be accessible to devices running iOS 8 / Yosemite.

scheming

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2005
this awesome to hear, that 3D gaming has improved!

can you or anyone back that up with some benchmarks or frame rate tests? I am not doubting just would be really happy to see some hard data

Diablo 3 is now unplayable on 15" late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina with discrete graphics card. Makes no difference if I toggle automatic graphics switching. Even on the lowest graphics settings, the game skips a ridiculous amount of frames. I would not recommend public beta if you are hooked to any games on your mac. I'm going back to Mavericks now because I don't want these problems.

sayhitokyle

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Tamworth, UK
Anyone else getting this Java pop up all the time?
I've downloaded the most recent RTE release and it still doesn't seem to solve the problem.
It's not stopping me from viewing website, but it's starting to get annoying.

35k2z5g.jpg

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone else getting this Java pop up all the time?
I've downloaded the most recent RTE release and it still doesn't seem to solve the problem.
It's not stopping me from viewing website, but it's starting to get annoying.

Aren't there some things that rely on older versions of Java? Try version 6 and see if it helps.

sayhitokyle

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010
Tamworth, UK
Aren't there some things that rely on older versions of Java? Try version 6 and see if it helps.

Will do, thanks for the tip! I'll let you know if it works.

----------

Just loaded up Beta 2. The change of volume sound effects freaked the hell out of me. That'll take some getting used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.