Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released watchOS 10.4, the fourth update to the watchOS 10 operating system that was released in September. watchOS 10.4 comes over a month after watchOS 10.3, a minor update that brought a new watch face.

watchOS-10-Launch-Feature.jpg

‌watchOS 10‌‌.4 can be downloaded for free through the Apple Watch app on an iPhone running iOS 17 or later by opening it up and going to General & Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery and it needs to be placed on a charger.

watchOS 10.4 adds support for new emoji characters that were also added to the iPhone, including lime, edible brown mushroom, phoenix, broken chain, shaking head vertically (as in a "yes" nod), and shaking head horizontally (a "no" head shake).

There is also a Setting to disable the Double Tap feature on Apple Watch when using Vision Pro, and an option to double tap to show an expanded notification. Apple also included a fix for a bug that could cause some users to experience "ghost touches" on the display, a problem that was affecting the Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2.

Apple's release notes for the update are below:
watchOS 10.4 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:
- Tap to Show Full Notification setting now allows you to double tap to expand the notification
- Using Apple Pay with Confirm with AssistiveTouch will require a passcode for additional security and will not support double clicking the side button
- Resolves an issue that causes some users to experience false touches on the display
- Fixes an issue that prevents contacts from syncing to Apple Watch for some users

For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
More on the features that have been added in watchOS 10 to date can be found in our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 10.4 With Fix for Ghost Touch Bug

Last edited:

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
For MONTHS now my watch hasn't been displaying upcoming calendar events; it constantly says "no events today" no matter what. Apple hasn't been able to figure it out either. It'd be nice if this also got fixed but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: SantaFeNM

threesixty360

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
I haven't updated my series-4 for ages now, too scared it's going to kill the battery again. Weird to not trust an apple update.. QC on them seems a bit nuts for older models.

• Wow
Reactions: PantherKang

notai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
did this routine on mine.. it wasn't the download time to the watch that took forever... it was once it was downloaded to the watch that is sat at the preparing stage... finally finished..
the mysterious "preparing..." could be compiling from source on the watch itself, it takes that long

notai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
came back after starting 2hrs or so ago... still "preparing" iPhone 14 Pro and Watch Ultra.. wtf
no button/option on either phone or watch to stop this, they both just say "preparing..." might need to hard reset both, not sure..

Reactions: hsotnicam8002

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
From the magazine American Ghost: “Apple locks us out of yet another device.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.