Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
came back after starting 2hrs or so ago... still "preparing" iPhone 14 Pro and Watch Ultra.. wtf
no button/option on either phone or watch to stop this, they both just say "preparing..." might need to hard reset both, not sure..
so a hard shut down of watch and phone fixed it. here's how, reboot watch, start update again only on watch, keep the phone off until done. watch is now updated. switch phone back, go to watch settings, it tries to start downloading again , exit watch app, open watch app again and now it sees it at 10.4 so that took about 3hrs, never had any apple OS update glitch like that ever on any apple device.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I agree the watch is slow to update, but does anyone start the update while still wearing the watch to "save" time?

Step 1: Initiate the update while you're wearing it. This can be done from your phone or watch and it'll do the download and preparing stages. This can take about 15-20 minutes or more. The watch (and phone) is still fully functional while this is happening, so carry on about your day or do something else.

Step 2: When the above is completed, pop the watch on the charger to do the install. It'll automatically start right away if the battery is above 50%...no need to go back into settings to start the update again. This could be done later when you get home (even hours later), when you hop in the shower, or when you have some time to spare.

This is how I've always updated my watch and I'm only without my watch for 5-10 minutes while it's on the charger.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
They should get rid of the "10:09" when a person swipes between faces. The little animation of the time going from "10:09" to my current time when I swipe between faces sucks.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Thought I would do this the 'best way possible'

After a Fitness+ Workout and cooling down I found this thread.
Restarted the iPhone 15 Pro & Apple Watch 8
Phone at 75% Watch at 90%
10:46 am: Initiated watch update and placed both on Belkin 3 in 1 charger. (So very close)
10:47 am: Downloading update. Estimate 3 minutes
Had a shower, brushed my teeth and checked my smile 😊
10:53 am: Watch is preparing update
11:01 am: Still preparing update.
11:06 am: (20 minutes gone). Still preparing so made a fresh coffee. Mmmm coffee.
11:11 am: still going. Time to watch Formula 1 Academy Qualifying in Saudi
1: Delete the update in Watch App on iPhone. Under general and storage settings.
2: Restart both iPhone and Apple Watch.
3: update again.

That will make it work
11:16 am: It’s 30 minutes now so trying this.
11:20 am. Seems to be stuck on 'Verifying'.
This is a joke.
11:36 am: Press install.
11:44 am: Woohoo. That didn’t even take an hour! Now when my watch cools down I can put it back on! 🔥

Last edited:
Reactions: spartan1967

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
My SE simply refuses this update. I’ve deleted the download from storage, downloaded again, rebooted watch and phone, and it still won’t go past “Preparing…”. What the hell?

Reactions: arkitect

JMT$

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2021
Not fixed. Did the update and still happening. Did shut down and rebooted. Apple is getting as bad as Microsoft.

Reactions: arkitect

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
For MONTHS now my watch hasn't been displaying upcoming calendar events; it constantly says "no events today" no matter what. Apple hasn't been able to figure it out either. It'd be nice if this also got fixed but I'm not holding my breath.
Like the alarm complication which says ALL ALARMS OFF - when they aren’t…..

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
The bug I’d like them to fix is that I very often can’t swipe down, which very often (daily) happens when there is a notification. My OCD doesn’t handle it well that there is a red dot and I can’t see why. Usually, a few hours later, it works fine. In the meantime, swipe down doesn’t work, while swipe up does.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
For the love of god Apple! Get it right…

An hour later and still ⤵️

incoming-03FF8996-AD50-49FF-BA84-F014F8ECB699.png

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
and of course after updating (with the same "Preparing" issues everyone else has discussed here) the battery drain is worse today.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Is anyone else experiencing the time initially displaying "10:09" then quickly fixing itself to the current time when switching watch faces? This has been a bug for me since I bought my Ultra 2 months ago. I've never seen this on any of my previous Apple Watches / watchOS's, and for the past 5 or so updates to watchOS 10, it's still there. It's real annoying and I'm starting to think I'm the only one.

loekf

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2015
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Terrible update. Both via the iPhone app and on the watch itself, it got stuck in Preparing....

Then I rebooted both the phone and watch. Tried again from the phone. It worked, but the watch got stuck on the Apple logo. So had to press the crown and the button, then the Watch worked.

Thanks again to the wonderful SW people at Apple. This was in beta right ?

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Is anyone else experiencing the time initially displaying "10:09" then quickly fixing itself to the current time when switching watch faces? This has been a bug for me since I bought my Ultra 2 months ago. I've never seen this on any of my previous Apple Watches / watchOS's, and for the past 5 or so updates to watchOS 10, it's still there. It's real annoying and I'm starting to think I'm the only one.

This is normal for WatchOS 10.

jkev57

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015

Apple today released watchOS 10.4, the fourth update to the watchOS 10 operating system that was released in September. watchOS 10.4 comes over a month after watchOS 10.3, a minor update that brought a new watch face.

watchOS-10-Launch-Feature.jpg

‌watchOS 10‌‌.4 can be downloaded for free through the Apple Watch app on an iPhone running iOS 17 or later by opening it up and going to General & Software Update. To install the new software, the Apple Watch needs to have at least 50 percent battery and it needs to be placed on a charger.

watchOS 10.4 adds support for new emoji characters that were also added to the iPhone, including lime, edible brown mushroom, phoenix, broken chain, shaking head vertically (as in a "yes" nod), and shaking head horizontally (a "no" head shake).

There is also a Setting to disable the Double Tap feature on Apple Watch when using Vision Pro, and an option to double tap to show an expanded notification. Apple also included a fix for a bug that could cause some users to experience "ghost touches" on the display, a problem that was affecting the Apple Watch Series 9 and Ultra 2.

Apple's release notes for the update are below:
More on the features that have been added in watchOS 10 to date can be found in our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Apple Releases watchOS 10.4 With Fix for Ghost Touch Bug
A couple of weeks ago, my Apple Watch began draining the battery at a very fast rate. It would be totally dead within a couple of hours. I contacted Apple, and the person I spoke to said it was because I was on the beta WatchOS. She had me send the watch in for repair, and they removed the beta WatchOS, replacing it with the regular WatchOS. When the watch came back, it worked perfectly! This morning I woke up to discover that my Apple Watch updated on its own overnight to the latest (non-beta) WatchOS. Guess what? It's draining the battery again like it did on the beta! I've been an Apple fan since 1985, and I'm getting really disillusioned with the quality of its products and, most of all, its operating systems and other software.

notai

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2023
Terrible update. Both via the iPhone app and on the watch itself, it got stuck in Preparing....

Then I rebooted both the phone and watch. Tried again from the phone. It worked, but the watch got stuck on the Apple logo. So had to press the crown and the button, then the Watch worked.

Thanks again to the wonderful SW people at Apple. This was in beta right ?
wrong. was the "alpha" 0.1

mtngal

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2015
Wow, that was a painful update. Used the watch to start the update then put it on the charger around 11. Got up at 8 this morning and the phone was still “preparing update.” I restarted both phone and watch but it didn’t seem to go anywhere. Restarted both again and it finally finished. I’m glad I read this thread before I started the update last night.

I don’t like the way the timers now indicate time - I use them a lot and have some that are seconds and some that are minutes. I found it easy to spot the difference between 00:21 and 21:00 but now I have to read a second line in a different color to see whether it says 21 sec or 21 min.

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
Some of my contacts say that a notification appeared in the their iMessage app saying I might have added an unrecognized device, so now my chat with them has a warning ⚠️ beside my name for contact key verification.
It started happening after I updated the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.