Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
We had 8 of those 15 months without vaccine

The issue is a lack of vaccinations. We started well, but now have hit a wall, states like MO aren't helping with 40% or so vaccinations. Also, Florida accounts for 1 in 5 cases across the country

Masks help, vaccinations are the answer
The issue isn't a lack of vaccinations, the issue is people not getting vaccinated. Big difference there. We have a surplus of vaccines in the US, so much so that hundreds of thousands will expire before they can be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
The disappearance of the flu says quite differently.
Right. And that's why we ask people to cover their mouth when they cough and wash their hands frequently during flu season. It reduces spread but doesn't stop it. Masks are just a more persistent method of covering one's mouth. It's hard to cover one's mouth all the time when working so face masks are a compromise between some protection and not socializing at all.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Not to mention, not everyone wore masks. There were tons of reports of public gatherings where people neither wore masks nor socially distanced themselves.

There's plenty of evidence pointing to the fact that they do work; people just need to stop thinking about themselves and mask up.
I wonder if the people who rail against masks started out when they were younger complaining about having to use Kleenex or a handkerchief when they sneezed in public.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
If masks didn't work, then why didn't we see a huge spike in infection rates and deaths among the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals who were treating the infected and hospitalized?

Because COVID overwhelmingly kills the very old, the very sick, and the very fat, and medical professionals generally aren’t any of those.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

Last edited:

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
If the problem is the MAGA mouth-breathers, how come it’s California with the growing caseload? A lot of MAGA people vacationing in California?
The problem isn't strictly that, there's a lot of anti-vax idiots on both sides. Furthermore our cases in California are increasing, but they're still nowhere near the level of other states. Look at Florida, they account for 1 in 5 of all covid cases in the US. That's pretty significant.

Reactions: CarlJ and iGeneo

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
The problem isn't strictly that, there's a lot of anti-vax idiots on both sides. Furthermore our cases in California are increasing, but they're still nowhere near the level of other states. Look at Florida, they account for 1 in 5 of all covid cases in the US. That's pretty significant.

Who gives a damn about cases? The Yankees had six cases this week, with five asymptomatic. Big deal. Tell me about deaths.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
None of the vaccines are 100 percent effective. At best, it's 94 percent. I have a feeling you're aware of this but you're choosing to ignore it.

They‘re not 100% effective?

No kidding.

Is Apple supposed to keep its HQ closed forever, because people are only 94% protected against a virus with a 99.9% survival rate for healthy people under 70?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I wonder if the people who rail against masks started out when they were younger complaining about having to use Kleenex or a handkerchief when they sneezed in public.
Funny thing is, there is some evidence that blowing one's nose actually increases infection risk and extends the duration of infection. There were CT scans that showed that people blow out of both nostrils and this causes backpressure into the sinuses. Once viruses get in them it's a lot harder for the immune system to clean them.

And you know what, people still blow their nose incorrectly because using a Kleenex is about making oneself more comfortable and helps control spread. This little factoid is only helpful academically but I still see people every so often make claims that Kleenex are bad for you. Like masks, they are vastly better if used correctly and moderately better if used incorrectly.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Why would everyone have to wear them if vaccines work?
To protect the unvaccinated. That’s the only reason I still wear one in stores. I certainly don’t wear them when I’m at a restaurant or bar since along with everyone else I’m eating and drinking. If I was concerned about getting seriously ill after the vaccine I wouldn’t be going to those places. But if I am anywhere else in public I don’t want to be Typhoid Mary.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Because COVID overwhelmingly kills the very old, the very sick, and the very fat, and medical professionals generally aren’t any of those.
Overwhelmingly, but not exclusively.

There are many healthcare professionals who are in their 50's and 60's.

And many who retired (think 60's and 70's) volunteered to help.

When Dr. Judy Salerno, who is in her 60s, got word that the New York State health department was looking for retired physicians to volunteer in the coronavirus crisis, she didn't hesitate.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Droplets of what? I thought the vaccines worked?
Well, not everyone who goes into an Apple store is vaccinated and not everyone who is vaccinated is protected from the novel and emerging strains. So, as this article mentions, Apple is having its employees wear masks to protect those who need extra protection.

If people followed directives a little better maybe we wouldn't see the delta variant as early as we did, or maybe it wouldn't have spread at all. But, Apple pushing their employees, where allowed by law, to wear masks helps drive the mindset that it's ok to still care about others.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
If by everyone you're referring to

- those who cared about protecting themselves and others
- those who knew Covid-19 was more dangerous than the common flu and that it wouldn't just disappear one day or that infections would soon drop to zero
- those who didn't think it was a giant conspiracy to violate your freedoms and take away your liberties
- those who didn't think it was a giant conspiracy to make people more obedient and compliant
- those who didn't think it would increase the amount of carbon dioxide you breathed in
- those who didn't receive a special face mask exemption card ?

then yes, everyone wore a mask.
The funny thing is if you took all those same people who claimed COVID was a hoax and instead told them there was a disease causing people to become zombies they would all believe it.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
The funny thing is if you took all those same people who claimed COVID was a hoax and instead told them there was a disease causing people to become zombies causing their penises to shrink and ovaries and breasts to shrivel up, they would all believe it.
This is more accurate.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
It's not going to disappear. Viruses don't disappear. We don't have that power. The best we can do is control it to the point where infections are isolated events and develop treatments that have high recovery rates.

Reactions: CarlJ

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
To protect the unvaccinated. That’s the only reason I still wear one in stores.
But that’s the whole point. You’re vaccinated, so you’re protected. You may still be able to transmit to others yes, but at this point, if those people aren’t vaccinated, it’s because they don’t want to be.

The people you’re trying to “protect” don’t care if you protect them or not.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
But that’s the whole point. You’re vaccinated, so you’re protected. You may still be able to transmit to others yes, but at this point, if those people aren’t vaccinated, it’s because they don’t want to be.

There is a small population that can't be vaccinated. Which is fine, so long as those that can do get vaccinated. Right now we don't have the vaccinated numbers high enough that those people are safe. So, those that are not vaccinated by choice are basically celebrating their drunk driving as they put others at risk.

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL

I’m not going to where it forever. But since I have the masks already and I barely notice it when I wear it I just wear it in closed public settings just for the purpose of cooperation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.