Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Viruses that are 0.3 microns in diameter also give zero f’s about masks rated to 3 microns.

This isn’t hard.
Oh wow. Amazing to know. :rolleyes:
Wonder why health workers are always required to wear a mask and even protective cover if virus and gems are small enough to travel through the mask.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Oh wow. Amazing to know. :rolleyes:
Wonder why health workers are always required to wear a mask and even protective cover if virus and gems are small enough to travel through the mask.

Because health workers are generally dealing with very sick people who are coughing and sneezing and bleeding and throwing up, rather than asymptomatic people for whom cloth or paper masks are utterly useless.

Glad I could clear that up for you.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If the problem is the MAGA mouth-breathers, how come it’s California with the growing caseload? A lot of MAGA people vacationing in California?
Delta variant spreading especially amongst those with single dose vaccination. Don't worry your mouth-breathers will get that variant soon enough and whataboutism will not be valid for finger pointing any longer. Don't worry it'll come.

Reactions: ronntaylor

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Because health workers are generally dealing with very sick people who are coughing and sneezing and bleeding and throwing up, rather than asymptomatic people for whom cloth or paper masks are utterly useless.

Glad I could clear that up for you.
LOL. Ridiculous. Do you need an analogy? Fine. Screen doors dampen sound. Just because one can still hear through them doesn't mean that some of the sounds weren't reflected off the screen. Cotton masks are not 100% effective, but they are effective. Literally, any barrier is better than no barrier. It's really simple stuff.

People should be expected to do what they can to help others. Wearing a mask helps reduce spread. Sorry if it's not 100% protection but that has never been the point. The mild discomfort some people (not all) have by wearing a mask is more than offset by the impact on disease control.

That's what Apple is doing in their stores. They can do something to reduce spread so they are doing something to reduce it. Should they close their stores? Yeah, probably. Should we all still be wearing masks even if vaccinated? Yeah probably. Why? Because wearing a mask is more protective than not wearing one. Just like it's ok to exercise and diet, or wear a condom and use birth control pills, or turn signals and hand gestures.

One can always do more. That's still an option.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
LOL. Ridiculous. Do you need an analogy? Fine. Screen doors dampen sound. Just because one can still hear through them doesn't mean that some of the sounds weren't reflected off the screen. Cotton masks are not 100% effective, but they are effective. Literally, any barrier is better than no barrier. It's really simple stuff.

Masks are about as effective against asymptomatic spread as a chain link fence against mosquitos. This was “settled science” for 60 years, until incompetent egomaniac Saint Anthony Fauci decided to unsettle it.

Japan reported over 98% mask compliance for a period of 15 months, and COVID is still spreading like wildfire there. And yet the mask cultists persist with their demands for a return to mask mandates here. Absurd. Enough is enough already.

Last edited:

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Masks are about as effective against asymptomatic spread as a chain link fence against mosquitos. This was “settled science” for 60 years, until incompetent egomaniac Saint Anthony Fauci decided to unsettle it.

Japan reported over 98% mask compliance for a period of 15 months, and COVID is still spreading like wildfire there. And yet the mask cultists persist with their demands for a return to mask mandates here. Absurd. Enough is enough already.
People do not use masks properly. Just because they wear a mask, doesn't mean they are practicing properly handling. Do they take the mask off and immediately touch their face without washing their hands when they get in the car or home? How many times has that mask been re-used?

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
People do not use masks properly. Just because they wear a mask, doesn't mean they are practicing properly handling. Do they take the mask off and immediately touch their face without washing their hands when they get in the car or home? How many times has that mask been re-used?

Are you saying the Japanese are too dumb to properly use masks?

If absolutely perfect mask usage among 100% of the population is needed before Masks Work!, then this whole idea is a waste of time. As it is, the 98% compliance rate in Japan is already a miracle.

Reactions: tonyr6

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Are you saying the Japanese are too dumb to properly use masks?

If absolutely perfect mask usage among 100% of the population is needed before Masks Work!, then this whole idea is a waste of time. As it is, the 98% compliance rate in Japan is already a miracle.
There are always people that don't use masks properly. I see it all the time at Target and many other stores. All I am saying is, 98% wearing masks might not be wearing them correctly.

And you can wear a mask all day long, but if you don't use it properly it doesn't do any good. If you take off your mask and immediately touch your face, that basically makes your mask use pointless.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
There are always people that don't use masks properly. I see it all the time at Target and many other stores. All I am saying is, 98% wearing masks might not be wearing them correctly.

And you can wear a mask all day long, but if you don't use it properly it doesn't do any good. If you take off your mask and immediately touch your face, that basically makes your mask use pointless.

98% of Americans don’t even brush their teeth regularly. The idea that we could get 100% mask compliance with perfect usage is a pipe dream.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Healthy people under age 70 have a 99.9% survival rate. The problem is far more limited than the fanatics want us to pretend. Enough is enough already.
There are many reported complications of healthy recovered people experiencing other health issues post recovery. This is pretty nasty and not a typical flu like some people here are stating. My uncle had it, then his appendix burst and it was proven to be a direct link. It wasn't a slow appendicitis either, it was way too quick for him to do anything about it. Doctors said COVID had some negative impact on his health even though he recovered and he was "healthy"

Reactions: duervo and CarlJ

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Philosophically, I'm frequently more annoyed with how quickly and easily people blame something a billionth their size for poor decision making, either by themselves and/or those of other human beings.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
If the last 1.5 years have taught us anything, COVID-19 remains not only dangerous but also increasingly lethal; it's no more a common cold than variola (i.e., small pox) was to the chickenpox. Additionally, it is not simply reckless but insulting to medical personnel who willingly went into the 'mouth of hell' that was a COVID-19 ward during the hight of the pandemic, not least of which those who perished fighting it.

Candidly, I would like to think of all of the "Now Hiring!" signs that increasingly popped-up in the last few weeks reflect a collective if not wholly united middle-finger from those same exploited souls we only recently called "essential."

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
mask mandates will be coming back to the usa if people there don’t start getting vaccinated

where i am restrictions are loosening but it’s because we have 81% of population with first dose and 63% fully vaccinated. not because “freedom” or any such thing

Reactions: duervo

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
mask mandates will be coming back to the usa if people there don’t start getting vaccinated

where i am restrictions are loosening but it’s because we have 81% of population with first dose and 63% fully vaccinated. not because “freedom” or any such thing

You might want to catch up on the news. Almost half of the U.K.’s serious COVID cases are among the vaccinated.

Meanwhile, Sweden had no lockdowns and has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the First World. How come cases aren’t exploding there?

PhoenixDown

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2012
I am vaccinated and even though I questioned the efficacy of masks, I wore one anyway. I'm just done with it. Make vaccine cards (or passports like NY has) mandotory for entry if so warranted.

Reactions: I7guy

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Sweden had no lockdowns and has one of the lowest vaccination rates in the First World. How come cases aren’t exploding there?

of course no one knows for sure, but speculation now is that a certain amount of pre-immunity (either genetic or simply a generally healthier population, or both) may play a role

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
of course no one knows for sure, but speculation now is that a certain amount of pre-immunity (either genetic or simply a generally healthier population, or both) may play a role

The Swedes are genetically distinct and/or healthier than the Norwegians?

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
You might want to catch up on the news. Almost half of the U.K.’s serious COVID cases are among the vaccinated.
UK was a proponent of one dose for many months, then they got second doses a lot further apart. In the USA they were always pushing Phiefer and Monderna as timed 2nd doses with 3 or 4 weeks apart. I live in a area of 78% of couple of million close by have both doses. Now in Texas recently they had a sample of some 600 individual being asymptomatic from a large sampling of positives instances of fully vaccinated people, only 8 people with underlining conditions died in hospitals. That how effective its been to be fully vaccinated with the latest India based delta variation. So in the end the UK to USA comparison is erroneous for you to use as a argument. But keep up the argument. :p

PS even if you are fully vaccinated it still doesn't make you fully protected, its only 95% effective, but for nearly everyone it prevents you going to the hospital.

Reactions: duervo

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
UK was a proponent of one dose for many months, then they got second doses a lot further apart. In the USA they were always pushing Phiefer and Monderna as timed 2nd doses with 3 or 4 weeks apart. I live in a area of 78% of couple of million close by have both doses. Now in Texas recently they had a sample of some 600 individual being asymptomatic from a large sampling of positives instances of fully vaccinated people, only 8 people with underlining conditions died in hospitals. That how effective its been to be fully vaccinated with the latest India based delta variation. So in the end the UK to USA comparison is erroneous for you to use as a argument. But keep up the argument. :p

This is hilarious. You’re arguing that healthy Americans — those without “underlying conditions” — have little to worry about? That’s been my argument all along.

Reactions: tonyr6

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
The Swedes are genetically distinct and/or healthier than the Norwegians?

maybe, maybe not? the Sweden has had much worse covid numbers than Norway though, perhaps do to their lax restrictions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.