Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
I’m not going to where it forever. But since I have the masks already and I barely notice it when I wear it I just wear it in closed public settings just for the purpose of cooperation.
Wait. It sounds like you are saying you wear it because it makes other people feel better when you wear it. Are you saying you don't always look for a reason to get in an argument? What a totally reasonable and socially appropriate way of recognizing other people's concerns. Imagine if everyone did things for others for no other reason than it reduced others' anxiety and concerns.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Wait. It sounds like you are saying you wear it because it makes other people feel better when you wear it. What a totally reasonable and socially appropriate way of recognizing other people's concerns. Imagine if everyone did things for others because it reduced others' anxiety and concerns.

What about people who hate wearing masks or feel intimidated by them? Screw them, huh?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Everyone wore masks for 15 months but COVID still spread like wildfire.
"Everyone" most certainly did NOT wear masks for 15 months - that's one of the big reasons why COVID is still a thing. If everyone from the top on down had just gone along 100% with the advice of the medical professionals and epidemiologists from the start, several hundred thousand people wouldn't have had to die from this plague. But no! Muh freedums!

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
"Everyone" most certainly did NOT wear masks for 15 months - that's one of the big reasons why COVID is still a thing.

We’re going in circles here. Mask compliance in Japan and the Philippines was over 98% for a period of over 12 months, and yet COVID keeps spreading in both places. Are the Japanese a bunch of dumb MAGA mouth-breathers?

If everyone from the top on down had just gone along 100% with the advice of the medical professionals and epidemiologists from the start, several hundred thousand people wouldn't have had to die from this plague. But no! Muh freedums!

Wow, COVID deaths could have been zero? Then why did no one care about 80,000 flu deaths in 2019? Did the epidemiologists not have a genius plan for saving those 80,000 people (in the U.S. alone)?

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
But that’s the whole point. You’re vaccinated, so you’re protected. You may still be able to transmit to others yes, but at this point, if those people aren’t vaccinated, it’s because they don’t want to be.

The people you’re trying to “protect” don’t care if you protect them or not.
Wrong. In the US, there are two groups who are not vaccinated. There are people who can't get vaccinated for medical reasons (immuno-compromised and such), who would gladly take the vaccine if only they could. And then there are the selfish idiots who get their "information" from facebook or other rampant sources of misinformation, who willfully choose to ignore the advice of epidemiologists and other medical professionals.

mashdots

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2015
seattle-ish
Back on topic. I am surprised that Apple isn't pushing for their employees to work from home more as a marketing tool to promote their remote tools to other businesses. After all, if Apple can justify letting their employees work from home they can sell the idea a lot easier to others considering it.

Honestly I would love to have seen Apple market helpful means for online collaboration, or even enhance existing tools to compete. Like Zoom is HUGE right now - it would be really cool to see FaceTime expanded as a more platform-agnostic tool (like being able to initiate or run FaceTime natively from a PC or android).

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
We’re going in circles here. Mask compliance in Japan and the Philippines was over 98% for a period of over 12 months, and yet COVID keeps spreading in both places. Are the Japanese a bunch of dumb MAGA mouth-breathers?

Wow, COVID deaths could have been zero? Then why did no one care about 80,000 flu deaths in 2019? Did the epidemiologists not have a genius plan for saving those 80,000 people (in the U.S. alone)?
People cared. That's why they have this thing they roll out every year called the flu vaccine and encourage everyone to get it. Hell, Target will give you a gift card to get it. Not as many people die of the flu then of COVID of course, which is why they are more concerned. And why they developed this thing called the COVID vaccine. And encouraged everyone to get it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tongxinshe

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2008
Everyone wore masks for 15 months but COVID still spread like wildfire. Might as well wipe your butt with those stupid things. They’re useless against COVID except for people who are coughing and sneezing, who shouldn’t be out anyway.
Unfortunately it’s not true. The “wear mask” rule doesn’t take effect if just one hundredth of the people don’t STRICTLY follow it. To my observation, there have been always a lot more occasions than 1% that people either don’t wear their masks or don’t FULLY cover their noses, which is essentially not wearing it.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
So many home-schooled epidemiologists here spouting nonsense.

Cracks me up!
I think nobody minds one group to think the other group is stupid, vice versa.

Problem arisen when one forces the other to do something for their perceived good.

We should do what we think is good. Not force others to comply into our view of the world.

No problem with war of words. But definitely will not allow it go be compelled under the threat of physical or financial violence (eg. government mandates)

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Last Tuesday, me and my two kids attended our first Today at Apple at Apple Cherry Creek in Denver. When we showed up, one of the crew approached us and said “sorry, but we just learned that we have to start asking customers to wear masks again.”
“Not a problem - sounds like things might be ramping back up.”
Point for sharing? If Apple’s moving that way, it’s only a matter of to me before we return to more lock down-ish protocol, nationally.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Last Tuesday, me and my two kids attended our first Today at Apple at Apple Cherry Creek in Denver. When we showed up, one of the crew approached us and said “sorry, but we just learned that we have to start asking customers to wear masks again.”
“Not a problem - sounds like things might be ramping back up.”
Point for sharing? If Apple’s moving that way, it’s only a matter of to me before we return to more lock down-ish protocol, nationally.

Apple was among the last to lift the mask mandate. Not surprising they’re quick to put it back in place.

Reactions: citysnaps and Huck

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There’s no evidence masks work.

It’s absolutely false? Japan and the Philippines reported mask compliance at over 98% for over a year. Why didn’t COVID disappear in those countries?

Why would everyone have to wear them if vaccines work?

We’re going to wear masks forever?

”15 days to bend the curve.”

”We need to wait a year for the vaccines.”

”We need to wear masks while waiting for the vaccine.”

”We need to get the vaccine and then wear masks for another year.”

Enough is enough with this nonsense.
Yeah, better repeat what happened in 2020 then.
We can’t see the virus, so virus won’t hurt us. Got it.
“Freedom day in a free country yay!”
:rolleyes:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Not to mention, not everyone wore masks. There were tons of reports of public gatherings where people neither wore masks nor socially distanced themselves.

There's plenty of evidence pointing to the fact that they do work; people just need to stop thinking about themselves and mask up.
There’s far more evidence to support that cloth masks don’t work or have negligible impact at best. NY, NJ and CA which had the some of the strictest lockdowns and mask mandates have some of the highest infection rates and deaths per capita. States like TX and FL opened a year earlier and had a very loose mask policy, yet fared much better in many respects.

Besides, why are people still demanding other people wear masks? Just get vaccinated! If they don’t trust the vaccines, why are these same people demanding people get vaccinated? It’s a vicious circle of virtue signaling, with no basis in logic, science, reality, or common sense.

Everyone should watch Fear and Social Control. They might see some parallels to what’s happening today.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Besides, why are people still demanding other people wear masks? Just get vaccinated! If they don’t trust the vaccines, why are these same people demanding people get vaccinated? It’s a vicious circle of virtue signaling, with no basis in logic, science, reality, or common sense.

Exactly right.

Reactions: Jakuta
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.