Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
is anyone seriously excited for this?
Adding up this:
While Electronic Times said that Apple is seriously considering a smart ring, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman claimed in February that Apple is not actively developing a finger-worn device at this time.
Smart ring, not finger-worn... yeah, could be exciting.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I think this could be really neat depending on its implementation, features and battery life.

Anything & everything can be "really neat" when qualified by "depending on its implementation, features & battery life."

Toe ring, ear ring, belt buckle, bracelet, tooth filling/crown, anklet, fabric patch, glue-on nails, eye patch, headband, etc.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I don’t wear a watch, and I’m sure as heck not going to wear a ring. First the car, and now this. Apple is determined to collapse on itself with these ridiculous products.
What's really interesting is that (and I had to look this up myself) it turns out you're not in fact legally required to buy products you don't want. I know, crazy right? Hang on, it gets crazier: also turns out other people can still buy those products! 🤯

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
The whole thing sounds so out of place, especially with Apple struggling to get meaningful health data on full wristwatch! Either it's an intern running ChatGPT on "McRumors-style paper on new Apple stuff noone has heard of", or maybe, early April Fool !?

grandoflex

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Another version of the "One Ring to Rule Them All"

iu
That Apple symbol only shows up when you chuck the ring on the fire, though. A neat feature.

UMHurricanes34

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I hope they do it. I’d purchase one just for sleep tracking alone so that I can stop wearing a watch to bed. If the Apple Ring has haptics that allow for alarms to still buzz your hand instead of make sound, that would be double wins.

My wife uses the Oura ring and its ability to help predict incoming sickness is pretty impressive and the battery life is great.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
It can be a tap payment ring. When you pay it lights-up and vibrates.

It can be a contacts ring. When you shake hands or fist bump and 2 rings touch they exchange contact information.

When you wear the ring other iPhone users see your contact information in augmented reality.

It could store information. For example, secret drawings for iPhone Ultra

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
If this is happening for the want to find the next best thing, I plead with Apple to just stop and ask themselves how many people actually want this, and is it going to be adopted on a large enough scale to warrant the research and development.

I say this with no malice or negativity. Apple have the bones of a business ready to take over the world.

They have forged a synergy with current customers by creating incredibly good computer chips and nice computer/laptop designs/quality (for the most part).

Focus on that, lower the prices of upgrades and pour money into improving software rather than wasting it on vanity projects very few people actually want.

From cars to VR to health ring pieces. Seems like a case of ignoring your core audience to entertain a bored minority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.