Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
It’s not as bad an idea as some claim. I have watches I don’t wear because I have an Apple Watch, if a ring allowed me to wear different watches (and still track movement) I would be interested
Great idea.

Apple will screw it up by making it so thin it only has 18-hour battery life.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I like the idea of using it as a sleep tracker. I find the watch too bulky to sleep in. Ultimately I would have to balance cost with utility. I’d be a buyer if it was an accessory to the watch at like $129. $300? I just don’t see it happening

Reactions: arkitect

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Running out of ideas. The Apple shine for me, is starting to tarnish. I was super excited about getting my 16inch M1 Pro Macbook, but now that I can't run VM's as well (Windows/Linux) I use it less, opting for my Windows laptop.

Reactions: Someyoungguy

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Re: NFC on the ring--I'm envisioning quite a few stores in the US being weirded out for quite a while after the ring comes out, despite Apple Pay/NFC acceptance being significantly better now than it was a decade ago. Heck, even tapping physical cards can still be somewhat problematic at some places unless it's the employee doing it for the customer (even though theoretically the customer's supposed to run their own cards).

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
There sure will be some idiots who will wear the ring at some not-so-appropriate place…. You know where that is…

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
This would be a bigger hit than a headset.

You heard it here first. It’ll be at worst AirTag 2.0 or at best Apple Watch 2.0 depending on how the product is priced.

Reactions: arkitect

constantsnags!

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Aotearoa
is anyone seriously excited for this?
Yup, if it happens I'll buy it. I don't like sleeping with my Ultra 2 on, and I've got some other nice mechanical watches I'd like to start using more again without losing all my health metrics. If they release it, that's exactly why. It's not a competitor to the Watch, it's a companion. I'll wait a bit to see what Oura do, because I'm set on a ring. It's just a case of which one.

whatgift

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2017
Australia
I see this as typical Tim Cook move. Anything he can do to add to the ecosystem. I think the problem with Apple, since Tim took over, is he is afraid to let any product cannibalize another. For example, the iPad Pro could be an amazing iPad and Mac in one if Apple just let us run MacOS on it. The same thing with Vision Pro, as it’s marketed as it will do everything but they don’t want it to actually cannibalize a Mac sale, iPhone sale or etc. That’s where AAPL lacks innovation now. With iPhones getting so big, it’s like the iPad doesn’t have room to take its place as a MacOS computer replacement and the iPhone all ready runs iOS perfectly.

I see a future where we use something like a ring and biometrics to allow us to access our data on any device and we need only one device and hopefully one subscription to make it all happen. I don’t think AAPL as we know it will be around in 50 years without new leadership that can champion one device that does everything rather than 15 devices that work together.
How is this any different then if Steve Jobs was in charge? He was a marketing genius but he didn't invent any of Apple's innovations, and likely would be in the same situation as Cook is now.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
I backed the Xenzo X ring on Kickstarter years ago which was this sort of thing with a bunch of other stuff - obviously never delivered. I also backed a simpler payment ring that worked for a while but had to use foreign currency so cut my losses. Like others I love my Apple Watch but I would like to wear my Tag Heuer for occasions - my continuous movement goal achievement was broken when I wore my normal watch for a day... Payments would be awesome on this as would trying to persuade our security team to allow me to use this for building access.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
I love my Oura Ring Gen3 and use it religiously to track my sleep. Thankfully, because I bought the Gen2 first, I don't have to pay the monthly subscription.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.