Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its next-generation Mac Pro will be manufactured in Texas, with production slated to begin soon at the same Austin facility where the current Mac Pro has been made since 2013.

2019-mac-pro-side-and-front.jpg

Apple says the new Mac Pro will include components designed, developed, and manufactured by more than a dozen American companies for distribution to U.S. customers. Suppliers will span eight states, including Arizona, Maine, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Vermont.

Apple did not immediately respond when we asked if the new Mac Pro will be made in Texas for orders distributed in other countries.

Apple says the U.S. manufacturing is made possible following import tariff exemptions the Trump administration granted Apple last week for certain Chinese-made components. The value of American-made components in the new Mac Pro is 2.5 times greater than the current Mac Pro, the company adds.

macprointernalsnomodules.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
The Mac Pro is Apple's most powerful computer ever and we're proud to be building it in Austin. We thank the administration for their support enabling this opportunity. We believe deeply in the power of American innovation. That's why every Apple product is designed and engineered in the US, and made up of parts from 36 states, supporting 450,000 jobs with US suppliers, and we're going to continue growing here.
Texas Governor Greg Abbott:
Apple's latest investment is a testament to Texas' unrivaled workforce and premier business climate. Our state's economy is thriving as the tech and manufacturing sectors continue to expand. I am grateful for Apple's commitment to creating jobs in Texas, and will continue to promote fiscal and regulatory policies that encourage investment in our state and benefit future generations of Texans.
Apple says it remains on track to fulfill its commitment to invest $350 billion in the U.S. economy by 2023. Apple said that, last year alone, it spent over $60 billion with more than 9,000 domestic suppliers across the country, including at manufacturing locations spanning 36 states.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Says New Mac Pro Will Be Manufactured in Texas After Receiving Tariff Exemptions

Last edited:

mudflap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
Chicago
An Apple product that will have the lowest user base of their whole device lineup will be made in America.
*Tim pats himself on the back*
How about iPhone production next?

They would have to raise iPhone prices significantly and/or take a huge hit on their margins. Not sure it would be possible but I sure would love to see it happen someday.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
It’s symbolic to China that the USA can influence one the wealthiest countries in the world to not manufacture an item in China.

I don't think China cares about small run items. They only care about the mass items.

The iPhone employs like half a million Chinese people.

To make an iPhone in the US would also raise the prices drastically, so US manufacturing isn't something that should be looked forward to or encouraged.

If China can make a product for cheaper, LET THEM.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
An Apple product that will have the lowest user base of their whole device lineup will be made in America.
*Tim pats himself on the back*
How about iPhone production next?
If the long-term plan is to move manufacturing to the US, it makes sense to start with a lower-yield product like the Mac Pro. That being said, the 2013 Mac Pro has been manufactured at the same facility for years. So announcing the new model will also be made there seems more like a PR move than anything else to me.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Neat to hear. I never purchased the previous MP as I still have and use a cMP daily. It is showing signs of age, but the fact that I can still put in good GPU products and other expansions, has given it new life. US Build isn't a requirement for me, but nice to see Apple is still keeping some production in Austin.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
They would have to raise iPhone prices significantly and/or take a huge hit on their margins. Not sure it would be possible but I sure would love to see it happen someday.
Well most people aren't upgrading their iPhone every year anymore anyways. Plus what about that jump to $999 for the iPhone X a few years ago? Was their a trade war then? It seems we have accepted a $350 increase in a 1 generation upgrade, why wouldn't we be able to do it again?

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
If the long-term plan is to move manufacturing to the US, it makes sense to start with a lower-yield product like the Mac Pro. That being said, the 2013 Mac Pro has been manufactured at the same facility for years. So announcing the new model will also be made there seems more like a PR move than anything else to me.

There isn't a long-term plan to move manufacturing to the US. The US is much better at designing these products and writing the software that runs on them, which is far more valuable. It is a mystery why we are so obsessed with wanting low-skilled, low-paid manufacturing jobs back with horrible working conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.