Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgraham

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2015
United Kingdom
Well most people aren't upgrading their iPhone every year anymore anyways. Plus what about that jump to $999 for the iPhone X a few years ago? Was their a trade war then? It seems we have accepted a $350 increase in a 1 generation upgrade, why wouldn't we be able to do it again?

Except the iPhone X was an actual improvement. I don't want to pay a $350 tax to the US government on my iPhone just because it was assembled in China, thanks.

Reactions: Sikh and MrUNIMOG

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I can't see any added value to manufacturing in the US alone. Change the goal to "manufacturing in North America", and then we have something to talk about. Canada can be more cost effective. The movie industry already knows that.

Reactions: Sikh

jlocker

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2011
Lake Michigan
I look at it this way, people complain that Apple products are very expensive, with all things being relative, look how much a computer cost a family in 1982.

In today's dollars they where like $6000 dollars but people purchased them. If we have more jobs in the US, more people can afford great Apple products. So it is a Win for the consumer, a win for Apple and a win for the united states.

A lot of people forget how much stuff cost in the 80's, but we bought them any way.

The smart move for china is what japan did in the 80's, Find something that we can build in the United States open a factory, hire people. Good for US workers and good for China business and PR, sends a message, that they care about the US as a economic partner and friend to the united states.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
They're continuing to do final assembly for the same product line in the US. I don't believe they had ever announced otherwise.

This seems like a lateral move that they've managed to give a PR twist to.

It fits with Donald Trump's reality show theatrics of taking something away and giving it back to make it look like he's done something.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
How about iPhone production next?
They would have to raise iPhone prices significantly and/or take a huge hit on their margins. Not sure it would be possible but I sure would love to see it happen someday.

I believe studies have shown that production costs would not rise significantly. The real issue is building a production infrastructure to support the manufacture of an average of 10 million units a month (and then there is the new production rush in late August where they are probably pushing out that many every couple of weeks).

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
If you look at this logically, this computer is so expensive, Apple will likely only sell maybe 10,000 per year. Since only the assembly will be done in the USA (not the chip manufacturing/etc), my guess is a well-trained employee will be able to assemble maybe 1 unit per hour. So if they work the typical 46 weeks per year, that's 1840 units per year. So that means only about 6 employees will be needed to exceed 10,000 units in a year. (sarcasm coming...) Good job Apple with significantly creating employment in the USA. Even if I'm off by a factor of ten for per-unit assembly time, that's still only 60 employees.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
I believe studies have shown that production costs would not rise significantly. The real issue is building a production infrastructure to support the manufacture of an average of 10 million units a month (and then there is the new production rush in late August where they are probably pushing out that many every couple of weeks).
Why couldn't the US do it? Or you're suggesting that Apple and many other "woke" corporations take advantage of what the West would call borderline slave labor? And so could not compete?

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Thank you President Trump
Lol they've manufactured the Mac Pro in Texas since before Trump, bud. He's just trying to make this look like it was because of him by threatening to subject Apple to those ridiculous tariffs. Same thing with all the "jobs" he's adding. It's remnants from Obama's administration and, the few he has managed to add, are piss poor.

Apple was always going to manufacture the Mac Pro in Texas because they already were and it proved to be working. Luckily for Tim it isn't very hard to negotiate with a narcissistic man child and make him think it was really his idea.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
I hope the expected low sales of this computer will convince Apple to start selling servers again.

Reactions: Sikh

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
If you look at this logically, this computer is so expensive, Apple will likely only sell maybe 10,000 per year. Since only the assembly will be done in the USA (not the chip manufacturing/etc), my guess is a well-trained employee will be able to assemble maybe 1 unit per hour. So if they work the typical 46 weeks per year, that's 1840 units per year. So that means only about 6 employees will be needed to exceed 10,000 units in a year. (sarcasm coming...) Good job Apple with significantly creating employment in the USA. Even if I'm off by a factor of ten for per-unit assembly time, that's still only 60 employees.

You're conveniently forgetting this: "Apple says the new Mac Pro will include components designed, developed, and manufactured by more than a dozen American companies for distribution to U.S. customers. Suppliers will span eight states, including Arizona, Maine, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Vermont. "

Would Apple be using those suppliers if they went ahead with their original plan to move manufacturing on the MP to China? Those workers of those companies would be pleased with this news.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
They're continuing to do final assembly for the same product line in the US. I don't believe they had ever announced otherwise.

This seems like a lateral move that they've managed to give a PR twist to.

It fits with Donald Trump's reality show theatrics of taking something away and giving it back to make it look like he's done something.
While I realize some have an unhealthy obsession with Trump and can talk about little else, the phenomenon isn’t unique to him.

Reactions: iOS Geek

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You're probably just trying to make a point by adding the "average" constraint, but a Chevy Spark starts at $13,220. It won't be difficult to spec a new Mac Pro to a cost higher than that.
Nope. I think “average” is fair given the verbiage of the quote.

The more honest thing to say is, “The most expensive computer made by the highest end consumer retailer could be made close to the price of the one of the cheapest and least-equipped cars available.”

That doesn’t have nearly the pizzazz though, does it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen.R

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I think my biggest question is how the blooody heck has this device not already entered production?

5 years in the making. Announced 3 months ago, and they still haven't started manufacturing... That's a massive supply chain failure.

Reactions: TLMuse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.