Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
So business as usual then? What do you suggest be done? Get rid of minimum wage? Get rid of environmental regulations? Break-up Unions?

If your against tariffs and the things listed above, it truly will be business as usual, as the West won't be able to compete with second and third world nations. Sorry to say but industrial countries cannot survive off of coffee shops and Etsy stores.

Oh I just interpreting this article. If the tariffs had been in place then this part would have been produced outside the US, without the tariff it is being produced in the US. So by that logic the tariff is encouraging manufacture outside of the US.

Working in a competitive manufacturing industry we manufacture 100% in the US. We have to import materials as the US is not a big enough source of these parts. We get hit very heavily by these tariffs and it is effecting our margins. All of our major competitors manufacture outside of the US (Mexico) using the same imported raw material we do. When they import the finished item from Mexico they don't pay the same level of tariff that we do. At the end of the day we're being hit because we manufacture in the US.

Reactions: pipis2010 and mw360

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I would be afraid to buy an American made Mac Pro for fear of finding a half eaten cheese burger, fries and boogers inside.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
There isn't a long-term plan to move manufacturing to the US. The US is much better at designing these products and writing the software that runs on them, which is far more valuable. It is a mystery why we are so obsessed with wanting low-skilled, low-paid manufacturing jobs back with horrible working conditions.
If it was low on skill anyone could do it. The truth is anyone cant do it it. The people have to operate the high tech machinery to build all of these devices.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I would be afraid to buy an American made Mac Pro for fear of finding a half eaten cheese burger, fries and boogers inside.
At this point in the show, should we start making disparaging remarks about Jamaicans too? That ok? ?

Last edited:

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
I heard the next generation iPod shuffle will also be made in America - great job Apple!

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
I'm so glad I voted for Trump. He's bringing jobs back from the US! the job market is skyrocketing!

Really? Why? He's done neither of those things that you listed. In all fact, he's actually harmed both by creating an environment where the manufacturing industry is uncertain of the future.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
This is great for the country, and it’s not the only manufacturing President Trump has brought back to the US.

But trump haters will try to say this is a bad thing, and that it’s okay for China to keep stealing IP from Apple and Tesla, among many others.
[automerge]1569260915[/automerge]
Really? Why? He's done neither of those things that you listed. In all fact, he's actually harmed both by creating an environment where the manufacturing industry is uncertain of the future.

Are we reading the same data? Record low unemployment, surge in manufacturing jobs is what I’m seeing

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
In another news, the employee who will be working on the assembly of the XDR display said he won’t have a hard time putting together the displays with their magic stands all by himself.

• Haha
Reactions: willmtaylor

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Both of your posts are pretty silly.

Reactions: PC_tech

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
An Apple product that will have the lowest user base of their whole device lineup will be made in America.
*Tim pats himself on the back*
How about iPhone production next?

It is not that easy, and it is not just because of labor costs. To manufacture smartphones you need very specialized production lines, millions of millimetric bolts, special glue that resists heat, cold, etc. You also need displays, batteries and metal casings. All these parts are not manufactured in the USA, their supplies come from Asia, it makes more geographical sense to assemble in China or Taiwan.

Then comes labor, yes, wages are higher in the US compared to Asian countries, but the amount of people with the technical/vocational training you need cannot be found that easily in any geographical area of the country. You may find it easier to manufacture in Mexico than in the US.

Reactions: jonblatho

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Not sure why this is important to manufucture in the US? A tiny product like this isn't really going to help raise employment levels in the US.

Well, I'd like to say nice step in the right direction, but this is more of a better than nothing situation I think.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
If the long-term plan is to move manufacturing to the US, it makes sense to start with a lower-yield product like the Mac Pro. That being said, the 2013 Mac Pro has been manufactured at the same facility for years. So announcing the new model will also be made there seems more like a PR move than anything else to me.

I think the News come because a few weeks ago it was announced that production/manufacture would move out of the USA...

Reactions: entropys

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Great step to winning back our own economic wealth from China.

If you complain about this, do your thing, but realize how your hate for one man is why. This is good news for the USA, the end.

Apple were already building Mac Pro in the US. This is only a great step towards the status quo, and it only happened because Trump backed off with the tariffs. Remember how he dramatically denied their waiver application?

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Sad to know they have not even begin production on the MP. That means we will probaby have it by end of the year. I was hoping available to ship in October. I guess the October event if happens will probably only show the pre-order prices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.