Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the first build of OS X 10.9.5 to developers, one month after releasing OS X 10.9.4 to the public. The new beta is available through the Software Update mechanism in the Mac App Store and through the Mac Dev Center. The beta has a build number of 13F7.

10_9_5_13f7.jpg
OS X 10.9.5 follows new seeds of Safari 7.0.6 and 6.1.6 for Mavericks and Mountain Lion, which were released to developers last night.

It is unclear what improvements the 10.9.5 update will bring to Mavericks, but it is likely to include bug fixes and stability enhancements. Apple is asking developers to focus on USB, USB Smart Cards, Graphics, and Safari.

Along with working on improvements to Mavericks, Apple is also beta testing OS X Yosemite, which is due to be released in the fall. The last Mavericks update, 10.9.4, added several Wi-Fi fixes and improved wake from sleep reliability.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 Beta to Developers

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
How do the improvements here move over to Yosemite? They exist simultaneously and are two different animals but one is the evolution of the other... So how do they stay in-sync?

PhiLLoW

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2014
Am I the only person who is upset that it's simply not possible to deactivate the integrated imac display to only work on an attached monitor (or watch something on an attached TV?)

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
This is just the last update that will finish off Mavericks making it as finished as it will get. They did in with 10.7.5, and 10.8.5, so make Mavericks the most solid OS possible

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I'm excited for this. 10.9.4 has had issues and caused Kernel Panics for me. Also, I'm not sure if I'll update to Yosemite so I look forward to any improvements they can make to Mavericks.

What about Safari 7.1 that was issued to developers?

----------

This is just the last update that will finish off Mavericks making it as finished as it will get. They did in with 10.7.5, and 10.8.5, so make Mavericks the most solid OS possible

I agree. Really the only thing of value in Yosemite for me is iCloud Drive and a better Safari. I think Safari 7.1 will bring improvements, but Apple won't update Mavericks with iCloud Drive to try and push Yosemite. I am at a point now were I don't want to try everything new. I just want a stable and reliable system, so even if I want to update to Yosemite I will wait until 10.10.1

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Can anyone with the 7.0.6 version of Safari (or 7.1?) , who also uses clicktoplugin, comment on a the YouTube HTML5 player?

In Safari 7, the player would first appear as a frame with HTML5 written on it. Upon clicking, it would play the video in a barebones sort of player, with the ability to right click and save the source video.

In safari 8.0, the player just looks like the YouTube flash interface, complete with pop-up annotations and no ability to save the source video.

Which is it like in this latest build of Safari released to developers?

Last edited:

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Will they ever fix the wi-fi issues?

My two uMBP and two rMPBs all sometimes either have no wi-fi after sleep or they do not see the majority of SSIDs in the area.

RanchoCucamonga

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
Toulouse, France
Internal code-names of Mavericks builds

Here are some of the internal code-names of different Mavericks builds :
- build 10.9.0 : ???
- build 10.9.1 : board
- build 10.9.2 : carve
- build 10.9.3 : ???
- build 10.9.4 : epic
- build 10.9.5 : ???

All three are surfing terms (http://www.surfing-waves.com/surf_talk.htm). According to the pattern emphasized in bold, 10.9.0's code-name must have started with the letter a, 10.9.3's with a d, and 10.9.5 with a f. For 10.9.5's name, I'm betting on "fin" !

Last edited:

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Will they ever fix the wi-fi issues?

My two uMBP and two rMPBs all sometimes either have no wi-fi after sleep or they do not see the majority of SSIDs in the area.

Wondering the same thing. Everytime i wake up my rMBP from sleep, I have to disable wi-fi and then reenable it again. Sometimes adding new location helps, but only for a short period of time. Wi-Fi disconnects appear again and again. And nothing seems to help.

But Apple doesn't have the time to fix this issue, they got their iToys to play with.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
How do the improvements here move over to Yosemite? They exist simultaneously and are two different animals but one is the evolution of the other... So how do they stay in-sync?

They aren't really two different things, one is just a different version of the other. One doesn't just "turn into" the other since both are constantly being rewritten (in small ways, mostly for bug fixes and performance improvements). They essentially have long lists of issues/improvements that they want to focus efforts on and the ability to mark them as "done" or "not done" (and likely other things like "no longer an issue"). While it isn't exactly simple to keep track of, it isn't impossible (particularly since it's the database that does most of the work to keep track of it all). Also, they surely have extensive backups tracking any change that was made so if there is problems they can use it to help trace what might have happened.

It's a super-rough simplification, but it isn't as difficult as you might think.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Wondering the same thing. Everytime i wake up my rMBP from sleep, I have to disable wi-fi and then reenable it again. Sometimes adding new location helps, but only for a short period of time. Wi-Fi disconnects appear again and again. And nothing seems to help.

But Apple doesn't have the time to fix this issue, they got their iToys to play with.

Never had this issue with my rMBP.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Do people reckon Apple will ever get it right with sleep/wake from sleep, and/or wi-fi issues ?

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013

They probably start a feature branch for each issue they work on based on 10.9.4. Then depending on the issue, each feature branch will be merged into 10.9.5 and if it's applicable also into the Yosemite branch. Yosemite is an evolution of Mavericks so big parts of the code base is almost identical and easy to merge. Things that's totally rewritten in Yosemite will probably not se merges from Mavericks but if there's known issues that have same solution it will probably be fixed in a fork directly in the Yosemite branch.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's really amazing how antiquated Mavericks feels now, after running Yosemite for almost two months. To think Mavericks is still the current system...

I'm running Yosemite Public Beta on a 2012 MacBook Pro and find the experience far sub-par to running Mavericks on my 2013 MacBook Air (my main production machine). Yosemite's lighter, brighter interface overall does not feel anywhere near as complete as Mavericks does. The loss of distinct contrast and depth is a big step backwards. I really hope that Apple refines the interface significantly before the public release... there's a lot of work to be done around that.

EDIT: Apparently Yosemite on Retina machines looks 100x better. On non-Retina display, it looks very amateurish with its highly-pixelated menus and buttons font, in particular. Anti-aliasing seems to be disabled or not available with the new font.

----------

Do people reckon Apple will ever get it right with sleep/wake from sleep, and/or wi-fi issues ?

Try to be more specific. Sleep/wake and Wi-Fi has worked perfectly on my Macs for 12+ years.

Wi-Fi has been slower to connect to networks in the last 4 years, though, but that's probably more due to the increase in network technologies that are involved, not a fault of OS X itself.

gjvon

macrumors member
Here are some of the internal code-names of different Mavericks builds :
- build 10.9.0 : ???
- build 10.9.1 : board
- build 10.9.2 : carve
- build 10.9.3 : ???
- build 10.9.4 : epic
- build 10.9.5 : ???

All three are surfing terms (http://www.surfing-waves.com/surf_talk.htm). According to the pattern emphasized in bold, 10.9.0's code-name must have started with the letter a, 10.9.3's with a d, and 10.9.5 with a f. For 10.9.5's name, I'm betting on "fin" !
Illuminati is upon us

solid6

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Can anyone with the 7.0.6 version of Safari (or 7.1?) , who also uses clicktoplugin, comment on a the YouTube HTML5 player?

In Safari 7, the player would first appear as a frame with HTML5 written on it. Upon clicking, it would play the video in a barebones sort of player, with the ability to right click and save the source video.

In safari 8.0, the player just looks like the YouTube flash interface, complete with pop-up annotations and no ability to save the source video.

Which is it like in this latest build of Safari released to developers?

I'm using version 7.1 (9537.85.10.1) and it is exactly how you describe it as "In Safari 7(...)". ClickToPlugin works as it should.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
I wish they'd fix the FireWire kernel panics on Mavericks. FireWire works perfectly on Yosemite, yet on 10.9.4, plugging numerous FireWire devices into a Mac running Mavericks will yield a kernel panic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.