Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
in 10.9.4 it didn't display the amount of GPU memory in the "About this Mac" for the Iris Pro, you had to go into "System Information" - Graphics/Displays tab.

Screen Shot 2014-07-31 at 12.21.19.png

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
How Stable?

How stable is the beta? I have it in my App download que but stopped it, because I'm paranoid. Are there any major apps - Adobe, Office, my Blu-ray Ripping Software, etc. that don't work with it?

MarcusCarpenter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2013
London
How stable is the beta? I have it in my App download que but stopped it, because I'm paranoid. Are there any major apps - Adobe, Office, my Blu-ray Ripping Software, etc. that don't work with it?

Everything seems super, runs much better on my rMBP Iris Pro. lets hope they bring the new GPU driver into the next Yosemite Beta so that don't have UI Lag anymore.

in 10.9.4 resizing windows sometimes lags because i run on the maximum scaled resolution, in 10.9.5 the lag has completely disappeared while using the max scaled res.

Everything else seems practically the same so far.
Hope this helps :D

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
This feature in Safari 7 you mention is not actually a feature of safari. It is the ClicktoFlash extension that gives you the option to download the video [edit: sorry, now I see you know this]. Since safari 8 defaults to the HTML5 player in youtube the extension does not come into play. I just confirmed this on my older computer where I installed Yosemite.

If anyone knows of any workaround for this I'd also be interested.

P.S. Maybe this is a question for one of the threads in the Yosemite subforum.

My workaround was to spoof Safari user agent as 7. I found some instructions on Google that made me enter a terminal command to do this. It was easy

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Wondering the same thing. Everytime i wake up my rMBP from sleep, I have to disable wi-fi and then reenable it again. Sometimes adding new location helps, but only for a short period of time. Wi-Fi disconnects appear again and again. And nothing seems to help.

But Apple doesn't have the time to fix this issue, they got their iToys to play with.

Hm. I never had ANY issues with 10.9.0-10.9.2, but when i upgraded from .9.2 to .9.4, I started getting freezes and crashes I've never had before.. AND wake from sleep issues.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
Everything seems super, runs much better on my rMBP Iris Pro. lets hope they bring the new GPU driver into the next Yosemite Beta so that don't have UI Lag anymore.

in 10.9.4 resizing windows sometimes lags because i run on the maximum scaled resolution, in 10.9.5 the lag has completely disappeared while using the max scaled res.

Everything else seems practically the same so far.
Hope this helps :D

thanks! In for a penny, I suppose! Although I should probably use time machine before installing - I've given up using TM as my BU solution, I prefer just to manually move files over...

jffluis

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
Downloading.. Hope that my rMBP Mid 2012 gets faster and more responsive as Iris Pro ones. :D

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
My workaround was to spoof Safari user agent as 7. I found some instructions on Google that made me enter a terminal command to do this. It was easy

Thanks. I didn't try the terminal command, but I've seen that I could enable the develop menu in preferences, and from that menu choose the user agent. There is an option for 7.1. It works great.

ChillEChill

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2014
I hope this solves my mac getting kernel panics every time it wakes from deep sleeps. Might have to revert back to Mountain Lion if it doesn't.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
I hope this solves my mac getting kernel panics every time it wakes from deep sleeps. Might have to revert back to Mountain Lion if it doesn't.

Its either move forward or backwards for me. Mavericks has been nothing but a total PITA.

Sophie.

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
It's really amazing how a few polished GUI elements can make people think that they're running an entire new OS! :eek:

I for one won't change unless there are technical features that make me want to change! Give me OpenGL 4.3 and I am all there (won't likely happen for 10.10, I know...).

A new File System... ZFS maybe? Anything reliable! (and I'd happily wait for a few point releases until it becomes stable ;))

This, this is the core of it. The features in Yosemite don't really have anything to do with the technology that holds everything up, and key parts of the OS are very out of date.

The OpenGL support is way behind Windows or Linux/BSD. Quite a lot of 3D software, let's take Minecraft as an example, are multi-platform, so they use the compatibility profile which has not been updated since 10.6, so to support 4.1 on the core profile they'd probably have to put in extra work just for the mac. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=osx_109_mavericksgl&num=1

HFS+ is old as hell, http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/12/
and just bad.

And call it subjective if you like, but some of us just find this 2D UI fad plain ugly, for me at least Yosemite is plain 'minging' as we'd say in the UK. And apart from this, it has no technical improvements of the above.

So for me where the 3D performance under OS X is so bad on the applications I use that I've had to switch over to Linux, it's really quite disheartening to see none of these issues being fixed and instead just cloud based features being peddled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.