Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Any idea how comprehensive this update is going to be? Or can we be expecting a 10.4.2 release soon after?

A few incompatible apps aside Tiger has been pretty much perfect for me but I know it's not the case with a lot of people. I just hope that they don't do a rush job.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Good News. I installed Tiger two days ago, and have found no compatability problems yet (did archive and install), but it wil be good to get the first upgrade out to address those bugs that I'm sure are lurking around the corner waiting for me to trip over them.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I think 10.4.0 actually is surprisingly stable. The only issues I've had with the A&I on my iBook was with some 3rd party plug-ins for Firefox and Mail and secure virtual memory which ate into my precious HD space. Other than that there actually just has been one serious freeze-up, and that was when waking the machine from sleep, when I had forgot to unmount the disks on my girlfriends Pismo before I turned Airport off and closed the lid hours before.

That said. Weeding out bugs is always valuable, so bring 10.4.1 on... :)

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
munkle said:
Any idea how comprehensive this update is going to be? Or can we be expecting a 10.4.2 release soon after?

A few incompatible apps aside Tiger has been pretty much perfect for me but I know it's not the case with a lot of people. I just hope that they don't do a rush job.

My experience with Tiger has shown a very stable system as well.

One issue is that I can't view slideshows from the Finder, I have to go into preview.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
My guess would be this one will be the fix that enables Q2DE. It's a pretty big feature to have dropped, and would be big enough to rush a point release out as sons as possible.

Joe Reale

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
Syracuse, NY
I, too, did the archive and install and so far everything is fine. The window resizing is much faster. Too bad it relies on my CPU and not GPU. I only wish I had the money to get a video card the Core Image supports. Well, there's always Santa Claus. :p

The only thing I have a problem with is Photoshop CS2. I'm playing with the demo now while I wait for the retail version to ship from Apple. When zoomed in on an image in full screen mode and you use the spacebar to move the image around, it's real choppy. Not that way in CS1. At first I thought maybe it had to do with OS 10.4 or some cache/pref file. But I don't think it's the OS because the WinXp version has slowness too. It happens when a filter dialog is open and you move it.

Glad it's not Tiger (as far as I've been able to determine) but Photoshop CS2 has the slow issues. I hope that maybe this Tiger update will help until an CS2 update comes out. :cool:

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Two issues I'd like fixed:

- The dock magnification bug - right click and leave the dock, it remains magnified (I suspect this has already been fixed, can anyone confirm?)
- Performance problems when scrubbing around movies in QT7

AppleMatt

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
The only bug that really bothers me, and I consider it really annoying, is that quicktime movies are washed out, I am forced to turn down the brightness and up the contrast to get it to look like how it's supposed to. I would be fine with the bug if you could permanatly set the A/V controls in QT, but it seems like it resets everytime you load, or maybe they are connected to the QT file itself?

Anyways, I hope they fix that issue.

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Hasn't the GM been set for quite some time now? That is, long before the actual release of Tiger. If so, they should have had sufficient time to fix most of the bugs, right?

Definitely, Build 8A428 saw the light of day on March 31.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Hope they fix automator.

I have a few workflows that work fine inside Automator.. but outside.. no chance!

Additionally, the spelling checker doesn't work as well. In Panther, the spelling checker could guess obsecure spelling and pick out correct spellings.. in Tiger, it doesn't guess as well.. for example:

convinence

Additionally, other flavours of English ( american English is not the only kind - please support proper English ) for the thesaurus, and support for other languages too.

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
10.4.0 is very stable, but it's also very buggy. The trick is, the bugs are little things, not crash-generating things. For instance, if you command-tab away from Safari and then later command-tab back to it, sometimes it'll reorder the Safari windows slightly (annoys me to no end). Likewise there are the AirPort connection-on-sleep and WDS handoff issues. Still, it was overall a very solid release.

~J

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Kagetenshi said:
10.4.0 is very stable, but it's also very buggy. The trick is, the bugs are little things, not crash-generating things. For instance, if you command-tab away from Safari and then later command-tab back to it, sometimes it'll reorder the Safari windows slightly (annoys me to no end). Likewise there are the AirPort connection-on-sleep and WDS handoff issues. Still, it was overall a very solid release.

~J

Exactly. I have a bug that randomly shows up where nothing in the GUI responds to a mouse over. It responds perfectly to clicks or drag-and-drop, just no visual feedback when you move your mouse over something (such as a dock icon, or over a item in a menu). I really hope 10.4.1 fixes this.

(And I'm looking forward to 10.4.4! :D)

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
Well I'm just praying for a version of Tiger that won't crash my D-Link Router. I'm tired of rebooting the damn thing every few hours, and it worked fine with Panther.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Laslo Panaflex said:
The only bug that really bothers me, and I consider it really annoying, is that quicktime movies are washed out, I am forced to turn down the brightness and up the contrast to get it to look like how it's supposed to. I would be fine with the bug if you could permanatly set the A/V controls in QT, but it seems like it resets everytime you load, or maybe they are connected to the QT file itself?

Anyways, I hope they fix that issue.

I've done some tests with FCP, playing around with H.264. QT movies saved in H.264 are slightly less saturated and brighter than the same clip saved in MPEG2, and more so than those in MPEG-4. Are you seeing the difference in all your QT movies, or just the new H.264 downloads?

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I hope they solve the problem where my new external firewire/USB2 HD isn't mounting if I connect it to the firewire port on my PB 15inch 1.33Ghz. It works on USB, but USB doesn't supply enough power so I have to plug it into the power as well.

It works in firewire on my PB G4 550Mhz, but that has OSX 10.3.9.

Threnody

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2004
Ottawa
Actually it's been well-documented that Tiger is sending futzed-up DHCP requests that affects most D-Link routers, so I guess it's a combination of the two, sorta like the Firewire bug from Panther...

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Threnody said:
Well I'm just praying for a version of Tiger that won't crash my D-Link Router. I'm tired of rebooting the damn thing every few hours, and it worked fine with Panther.

Have you tried shortening your computer name (under System Preferences/Sharing) to under 20 characters?

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Threnody said:
Actually it's been well-documented that Tiger is sending futzed-up DHCP requests that affects most D-Link routers, so I guess it's a combination of the two, sorta like the Firewire bug from Panther...

Is *that* what's been going on! Thank you! (P.S. Where is this well documented? DLink forums, because I haven't seen it on Mac forums).

I will try turning off DHCP and using static allocation tonight, and see if that clears up my problems.

Oh well, I made such a stink with my ISP that at least I'm getting a new cable modem out of it :eek:

[Edit]

Found some links

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,13359682
http://www.macfixit.com/

This appears to be different from my problem, because the Mac is holding the address but the D-link is losing it. Maybe I do need that new modem after all.

Just to be safe I guess I'll change my computer name to less then 6 chars. wintermute will now become dalek. Dunno, seems like a bit of a demotion to me ;)

[Edit 2]

Ahh, I see now, its in the Apple forums. Funny I haven't seen this issue pop up here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.