Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAukland

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2005
It will be very nice to get this update installed. As of now, its looking like a pretty comprehensive patch job. A few days ago, the build was at a bit over three dozen fixes. Today's ThinkSecret article is saying the newest build adds about a dozen...

4 dozen patches is fine in my (power)book. :p

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I also hope that this will fix the problems that others are having. Just think that the release is closer each and every day.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Peel said:
I've done some tests with FCP, playing around with H.264. QT movies saved in H.264 are slightly less saturated and brighter than the same clip saved in MPEG2, and more so than those in MPEG-4. Are you seeing the difference in all your QT movies, or just the new H.264 downloads?

No, QT files that I captured in FCP and h.264 files exported from Motion, it seems that these are the 2 types of files that are affected. Here's a quick test, switch finder to column view and hight a QT video and it the preview show up. Now open the movie and compare it to the preview. All my movies are this way, maybe it's just my machine, or select ones, who knows, I know I saw another thread on this though.

Joe Reale

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2005
Syracuse, NY
AppleMatt said:
Two issues I'd like fixed:

- The dock magnification bug - right click and leave the dock, it remains magnified (I suspect this has already been fixed, can anyone confirm?)
- Performance problems when scrubbing around movies in QT7

AppleMatt

Yup. I have that Dock thing too. Have you tried trashing the dock preferences? I think I'm going to give that a try and see how it goes. I guess one immediate way to fix it is to shut off magnification.

The one thing I had happen with the Quicktime Player as when I went to get the movie properties to make some adjustments to the volume, QT player crashes every time.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2004
so would one say that 10.3.9 is the most perfect version of panther? i would figure... still though, 10.4.1 should fix a lot of inconsistancies with tiger as of now

Marble

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2003
Tucson, AZ
I hope this gets released soon and that they fix my issues with Spotlight. I can't change resolution or my brightness until they fix it in an update, either. Hopefully these things will be addressed in the next update!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Joe Reale said:
Yup. I have that Dock thing too. Have you tried trashing the dock preferences? I think I'm going to give that a try and see how it goes. I guess one immediate way to fix it is to shut off magnification.

The one thing I had happen with the Quicktime Player as when I went to get the movie properties to make some adjustments to the volume, QT player crashes every time.

The magnification bug affects everyone. I have the bug too. Trashing the prefs won't fix it.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
strange keychain

I dont know if any of you other have had this problem or whether this is due to my very own program distortion field.
Whenever I try to access the university emailserver, Safari keeps asking me for username and password regradless of how many times I try to add both of them to my keychain.
Any comments?

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC + Madison, WI
Dr.Gargoyle said:
I dont know if any of you other have had this problem or whether this is due to my very own program distortion field.
Whenever I try to access the university emailserver, Safari keeps asking me for username and password regradless of how many times I try to add both of them to my keychain.
Any comments?

Happens to me in Safari with my work email (Microsoft OWA). This isn't new with Tiger, though, it's been happening for years.

Dr.Gargoyle

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2004
lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
zwida said:
Happens to me in Safari with my work email (Microsoft OWA). This isn't new with Tiger, though, it's been happening for years.
It has worked like a charm for me before in Panther. Never had any problems. I could connect through VPN, but since people at my university are unadulterated spammers I dont want all of that in my private inbox.
I find it is extremely annoying to be forced to retype username and password for each and every email I want to read. The same applies when I want to delete an email.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
one problem i've had si that mail won't quit. when i go cmdQ it just won't quit, and it will freeze up and then i have to force quit and log out. and gmail will no longer work with it, i cna't recieve my messages. but i think i can send. hope this gets fixed

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
It always cracks me up how people say they have no problem with Tiger at all, "except..."

Look, I love Tiger. But it is buggy as hell. Unbelievably buggy.

Tiger needed another 2 months of development and bug fixing.

I am concerned the .1 patch is too small. Tiger is riddled with bugs. And if you can't see that, honestly you're not looking too hard.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Kagetenshi said:
The trick is, the bugs are little things, not crash-generating things.

I'd like to see you say that with a straight face to my poor little G4 Power Mac. :p

I've had 4 kernel panics in 10 days of using Tiger. This is after doing a clean install, so no potential upgrade weirdness here. I've dutifully sent in a report each time (very nice that a dialog pops up to do this next time you login after any crash) so I'm hoping they were useful. If this continues much longer, I may consider going back to Panther for the time being. Hopefully 10.4.1 comes soon and fixes my issues.

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
In my experience clean upgrades are more trouble than they're worth. Next time it happens, though, post the log here—one of us might be able to give you more information.

~J

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
StarbucksSam said:
I will really REALLY second that.

You know, I'm still wondering about this.

I tried following the link in that article (in Safari 2.0). I automatically got a file called "zaptastic.wdgt.zip" downloaded to my desktop.

I double-clicked the zip, and now have something called "zaptastic.wdgt" on my desktop. I've double-checked and it's not running on my dashboard, and it's not in my widgets directory.

I gather this is only a problem if you have the known-insecure option "automatically open known filetypes" turned on? And if so, what's new about this vulnerability? Isn't this just a new vector for an old vulnerability?

I really can't understand why, if you have your web browser automatically running unknown content, people don't expect problems?

:confused:

huckleup

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2003
Left Coast
bankshot said:
I've had 4 kernel panics in 10 days of using Tiger. This is after doing a clean install, so no potential upgrade weirdness here. I've dutifully sent in a report each time (very nice that a dialog pops up to do this next time you login after any crash) so I'm hoping they were useful. If this continues much longer, I may consider going back to Panther for the time being. Hopefully 10.4.1 comes soon and fixes my issues.

I too get kernel panics - at least once a day. I also did a totally clean format/install. It's not any trouble for me to do that because I'm a developer and am accustomed to keeping multiple system installs available for compatibility testing etc. The kernel log seems to imply something went wrong with the USB. I only have my Logitech keyboard and a Wacom tablet/mouse on the USB which I can't do without. This machine is a DP500 with the SCSI card, which is probably not that common anymore. I've had troubles that nobody else had with early releases before. I'm trying to hold out for the elusive DP3G machines. :eek:

Also I can't get SMB or NFS mounts to my Linux box to work at all. Plus I can't get the machine to respond to any Remote Apple Events, which I use a lot from my laptop to my desktop machine.

So I'm pretty much stuck in my Panther partition as my main working setup and the Tiger one is just for working on some development futures at this point. I'm keeping my laptop on Panther until things stabilize a bit because crashing during a client demo would not be a good thing. :(

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
stcanard said:
You know, I'm still wondering about this.

I tried following the link in that article (in Safari 2.0). I automatically got a file called "zaptastic.wdgt.zip" downloaded to my desktop.

I double-clicked the zip, and now have something called "zaptastic.wdgt" on my desktop. I've double-checked and it's not running on my dashboard, and it's not in my widgets directory.

I gather this is only a problem if you have the known-insecure option "automatically open known filetypes" turned on? And if so, what's new about this vulnerability? Isn't this just a new vector for an old vulnerability?

I really can't understand why, if you have your web browser automatically running unknown content, people don't expect problems?

:confused:

You got it. And well I don't know the answer to your last question either.

But that also leads to another problem: how does the average user know where the Widgets folder is?

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Raven VII said:
But that also leads to another problem: how does the average user know where the Widgets folder is?

That, I think is a bigger problem. How exactly do you uninstall a widget except by going to the directory and deleting it manually?

That's a change I would like to see in Tiger.1 -- an actual "remove this widget" option!

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Wonder Boy said:
use spotlight!

Now, that's a good idea (and works)! But leads to another UI annoyance I just discovered today...

If you command space, get the spotlight drop-down and search, you get what looks like an object, but you can't do anything with it except open it! I was trying to use it to find a movie, then drag and drop into iTunes, but you can't. Open it or nothing. This feels, to me, like a violation of the OSX UI pattern.

You can still get the object with the option-command-space, but if the (top-right) spotlight list is going to make the object look like a real object, it should act like a real object.

Chalk another one up to my list of hoped for fixes :)

[Edit]

And yet another spotlight annoyance! (How can you tell I've just started some serious use of my system). If you search for something where there are multiple copies, like "Library", you get no context. The only way to find which is the one you want is to go to the spotlight window, and then reveal in finder. Ugh.

So, my hopes for Tiger.1 are:

1) Fix dashboard so you can remove widgets! (come on, how obvious is that one)

2) Fix the spotlight list so it acts like all other file listings, and at least allows me to drag and drop!

3) Fix spotlight so I can get context on items with common names

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
huckleup said:
The kernel log seems to imply something went wrong with the USB.

Same here - all four of my crashes happened in com.apple.driver.AppleUSBOHCI. And there's not much on my USB for the most part - just Apple keyboard and Logitech mouse. The mouse has been acting up lately, occasionally sending the pointer to the edge of the screen as if it had been moved quickly. Never was a problem in Panther (other than annoyance) but I wonder if it's causing difficulties for Tiger.

Also I can't get SMB or NFS mounts to my Linux box to work at all.

That's strange, though - I'm having no problems with either, mounting from my FreeBSD box. I just wish Spotlight would index them (I've tried everything I can think of with the new md* utilities), but that's another topic. ;)

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
stcanard said:
Now, that's a good idea (and works)! But leads to another UI annoyance I just discovered today...

If you command space, get the spotlight drop-down and search, you get what looks like an object, but you can't do anything with it except open it! I was trying to use it to find a movie, then drag and drop into iTunes, but you can't. Open it or nothing. This feels, to me, like a violation of the OSX UI pattern.

You can still get the object with the option-command-space, but if the (top-right) spotlight list is going to make the object look like a real object, it should act like a real object.

Chalk another one up to my list of hoped for fixes :)

Haha! I hit this annoyance just today too! I found the file, tried to drag it or copy it or anything, but nope I can only open it. In annoyance, I opened Finder, then searched again. Yep here the file is, all manipulatible. And then comes another strange GUI inconsistence:

When I hit the contextual menu to try to copy the file, Copy is grayed out. Yet, when I go to the Edit menu, Copy is allowed. I went and copied the file and did what I wanted to do. What the hell was that about?

I swear Tiger is more Windows than OS X sometimes...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.