Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Dr.Gargoyle said:
Hasn't the GM been set for quite some time now? That is, long before the actual release of Tiger. If so, they should have had sufficient time to fix most of the bugs, right?

Man, I hope you are right.

I worry when I read these rumors about fixing a few dozen bugs I get worried. Tiger is soooo buggy and yet has such potential I hope Apple has stomped out hundreds and hundreds of bugs in .1. I really want to make Tiger my full time OS, but there is no way I am going to do that right now.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
i just want tiger compatible PROTOOLS version out so i can wait for next dot-whatever releases for tiger and protools for stability's sake. i'm guessing i should be able to migrate to tiger in september(ish).

witness

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
Austria
AppleMatt said:
... issues I'd like fixed:

- The dock magnification bug - right click and leave the dock, it remains magnified ...
AppleMatt
I've even had the entire OS freeze after the magnification bug, had to do a hard reset.

I also have Safari crash on me several times a day, which can be really annoying when I have lots of tabs open. Funnily enough, visiting the widgets section of the apple website seems to cause the most crashes :confused:

I'm definitely looking forward to 10.4.1.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Threnody said:
Well I'm just praying for a version of Tiger that won't crash my D-Link Router. I'm tired of rebooting the damn thing every few hours, and it worked fine with Panther.

yeah, my d-link (504) had issues like that with 10.3 and i had to RMA it, now it's fine with 10.4.

call up the d-link people and get it replaced.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
lavem said:
I hope they address the security issue I just read about on wired - see Dashboard Vulnerable

As a general rule of thumb, I wait until any "new" releases have been out long enough for the worst bugs to be squashed...doesn't matter if we're talking OS's or automobiles.

For Tiger, I bought the Amazon-discounted prerelease, as I know that I will be installing it before the end of 2005. Currently, its still sitting in its box, unopened, and based on current reports, its going to be there for awhile.

My initial intent was just a basic "wait and see" on nuisance bugs and to install if there weren't many, otherwise to wait for 10.4.1 and avoid most of the hassles.

However, with the Dashboard widget vulnerability, I'm definitely going to wait until this little demon is shackled. If that means I have to wait for 10.4.2 (or 10.4.3!) to be released, I will wait - - - my Mac exists to get stuff I want done, not for bragging about having the "latest and greatest" OS or other bullhockey.

-hh

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
-hh said:
However, with the Dashboard widget vulnerability, I'm definitely going to wait until this little demon is shackled.

Remember, there is no vulnerability. Tempest in a teapot. Just change the Safari preferences so it doesn't automatically open "safe" files (which is a horrendous option that should be taken out) and dashboard widgets can't install themself.

As for the general stability issue, this seems to be in certain configurations only. Tiger on my powerbook has been rock solid.

Riley

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2005
-hh said:
However, with the Dashboard widget vulnerability, I'm definitely going to wait until this little demon is shackled. If that means I have to wait for 10.4.2 (or 10.4.3!) to be released, I will wait - - - my Mac exists to get stuff I want done, not for bragging about having the "latest and greatest" OS or other bullhockey.

-hh
The so-called Dashboard "vulnerability" is being blown WAY out of proportion. Two solutions: Either disallow Safari's opening of "safe files" on download - which you really should do anyway, or just download "Widget - the world watcher" - a great little utility with a silly name:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/18039

I've installed it and tested it and it works just fine.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
B15 seeded.

Fixes the dashboard widget "vulnerability."

Now, if Apple can just fix the other 1,000 or so bugs in Tiger so it is usable, that would be great.

DeadEye686

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2003
Austin
BWhaler said:
B15 seeded.

Fixes the dashboard widget "vulnerability."

Now, if Apple can just fix the other 1,000 or so bugs in Tiger so it is usable, that would be great.

Do you have access to the build? How did they "fix" it (considering it's not really a vulnerability whatsoever)?

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
If he were to have access to the build he would also have access to the seed note, which is, shall we say, a likely place for such things to be listed.

My guess is that they made autoinstallation use a dialogue instead of being automatic, that or disabled it entirely.

Disclaimer: I have not actually installed or tested the latest build. If I had I wouldn't be talking about it.

~J

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
munkle said:
Well I'm waiting for 10.4.3 so there! :rolleyes: :p

That is not a bad idea. While developers provide feedback quickly, they are just a limited audience. A lot of Tigers smaller bugs were ferrated out by the pubic at large when it [Tiger] was released. 10.4.2 may include larger changes, but I don't think that Apple could deal with all of the major bugs that were recently discovered until a few months from now.

My hope is that they fix the WMP9 stream bug, add some of Microsoft’s proprietary streams to QT, or find some way to encourage Microsoft to speed up WMP10 for OSX. It is not that I love Microsoft or WMP, but I like to be able to have choices and the ability to use a variety of media sources.

It would be nice if everybody just generally decided that it was in everybody’s best interest to be compatible.

Applespider

macrumors G4
DeadEye686 said:
Do you have access to the build? How did they "fix" it (considering it's not really a vulnerability whatsoever)?

From another forum

Mac OS X 10.4.1 adds widgets to the standard "<File> contains an application. Are you sure you want to download <file>?" prompting process if "Open 'safe' files after downloading" is still enabled.

If the user chooses to answer yes, the widget will still be downloaded and moved to ~/Library/Widgets. It still must also be manually run by the user. This removes the "notificationless" nature of the default widget download process; it's up to the user as to whether they trust the download, as is the case with every other download on all platforms.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
DeadEye686 said:
It now behaves like any other install/update, i.e. it asks for permission to install the widget.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Raven VII said:
Exactly. I have a bug that randomly shows up where nothing in the GUI responds to a mouse over. It responds perfectly to clicks or drag-and-drop, just no visual feedback when you move your mouse over something (such as a dock icon, or over a item in a menu). I really hope 10.4.1 fixes this.

(And I'm looking forward to 10.4.4! :D)

Yeah, that is especially annoying when resizing columns in finder windows. I sure hope they fix it too.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
stcanard said:
Remember, there is no vulnerability. Tempest in a teapot. Just change the Safari preferences so it doesn't automatically open "safe" files (which is a horrendous option that should be taken out) and dashboard widgets can't install themself.

Buuuuuullshit! Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Go look up the history of "Autostart-9805", It was a successful Mac worm that took advantage of QuickTime 2.0 's feature that enabled CD-ROMs to start a program immediately upon their insertion.

Personally, I was absolutely ASTOUNDED to hear that a Widget could install itself without even prompting for an Admin Password for permission.

Between the history of Autostart-9805 that showed us how NOT to do things, and the "mindshare" mileage that Bill Gates gets out of anything that undermines OS X invulerability, this is a serious flaw that must be plugged immediately, and done so with rock-solid results...

-hh

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
-hh said:
Personally, I was absolutely ASTOUNDED to hear that a Widget could install itself without even prompting for an Admin Password for permission.
Question is, can a widget do massive damage to a user's computer, aka rm /~?

bluefruit

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2004
Tigers left me with black rectangles!

Cant wait for the update, Im having a strange problem since installing Tiger, I get randon black retangles appearing around dialogue boxes - anyone else?

1.8DP G5, 1GB RAM

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
-hh said:
Buuuuuullshit! Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Go look up the history of "Autostart-9805", It was a successful Mac worm that took advantage of QuickTime 2.0 's feature that enabled CD-ROMs to start a program immediately upon their insertion.

Umm, my point exactly. Tell me why did you snip this part:

stcanard said:
I gather this is only a problem if you have the known-insecure option "automatically open known filetypes" turned on? And if so, what's new about this vulnerability? Isn't this just a new vector for an old vulnerability?

I really can't understand why, if you have your web browser automatically running unknown content, people don't expect problems?

Which makes the same point you do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.