Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGeneo

macrumors demi-god
Jul 3, 2010
Why doesn't apple have the list of fraudulent web sites downloaded to the device and have the checks done locally on the device instead of remotely on some server owned by google or some chinese company. This doesn't sound like "what happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone".
Sure, all three of them. ?

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
Apple never truly cared about privacy or they wouldn’t allow every app to have a billion different tracking snippets built into it. Look how many Instagram and Facebook requests I have within minutes even tho I have neither app installed
How do you get that data?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Apple needs to clarify if this is only for mainland Chinese users since Google service is not available for them.

(Anyway, sending data to Google is not really that safe too. One should turn off the feature completely if it causes any concern for privacy.)

How do you turn it off?

• Haha
Reactions: jezbd1997

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
This is why you read disclaimers. Don't use it if you're not comfortable with it.

We'd have to read the agreement and then research who the companies are and where they are. Most don't. I'm keeping that box unchecked until Apple clarifies this situation.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
And? We're just making an articles now insisting anything Chinese is bad are we? Is this the new cold global tech war?
[automerge]1571051134[/automerge]
Disabled on my end. Seems to only be iPhone? I checked on my Mac running Sierra and it only mentions google safe browsing, maybe it’s different on newer macOS?
Hope Apple clears this up soon and removes/changes it...

At this point i'd trust a Chinese company more than Google.

• Haha
Reactions: CE3 and dammerl

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
The increasing closeness between Apple and China is unsettling. China is the new Nazi Germany, and everything should be done to sever ties with them.
[automerge]1571051394[/automerge]
And? We're just making an articles now insisting anything Chinese is bad are we? Is this the new cold global tech war?
[automerge]1571051134[/automerge]

At this point i'd trust a Chinese company more than Google.

Google may be selling our data but at least they're not using the money to build concentration camps. I'd rather have Google spy on me and increase their ad revenue than have China spy on me and strengthen their communist, repressive dictatorship and turn China into a huge, powerful version of North Korea.

If there will be a World War III, it will be fought against China. Right now we're helping them become stronger and more powerful.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Sorry...I meant on iOS.
Did you even look? It’s directly in Safari settings

777D667D-6E9D-49FB-BA96-CCB5EBA80AA0.png

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Apple is playing with fire! I would argue that privacy and “standing up to big brother” is their biggest selling points operating in a market where tec/design/innovation has plateaued.
Well it has been Linux's selling point, but things are changing there too sadly.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Hopefully everyone turning off "Fraudulent Website Warnings" because of a non-existent threat from a Chinese company now end up visiting a fraudulent website and get scammed. Perfect.

Reactions: hans1972

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Google may be selling our data but at least they're not using the money to build concentration camps.

Erm, that's quite a bold claim.

If you didn't have China in your life you'd not have a very good life currently considering everything from every manufacturer is built there. Not to mention they have some fantastic companies like QNAP who make the best NAS systems I won't be giving up anytime soon.

As someone in Europe, with the nut you've got at the helm, America are a far more dangerous entity to world peace at the minute and are currently doing just as many disgusting domestic things.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Tencent also own League of Legends and part own Fortnite and PubG, so please make sure you don't play any of those games if you're worried about having them see your user data :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: ersan191

ulyssesric

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2006
This is not an issue at all. Because Google is NOT AVAILABLE in China!

The only fraud data service available in China is Tencent, and foreigner IT enterprise are only permitted to build their own service if a least one China enterprise is participated in, either as co-operator or as stockholder. And since fraud host server can be setup at any corner of this world, inside and outside of China, you need to cooperate with China enterprise, to either provide fraud warning to China consumers, or to collect fraud blacklist in China for the rest of world. And you've no other choices but following PRC's game rule.

China is not an ordinary capitalism society but China-Capitalism society. Don't forget that.

Reactions: Count Blah
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.