Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
As an outsider, I find US paranoia of anything to do with China somewhat amusing. As though western governments and corporations are the paragon of global ethics. Team America: World Police ?

Personally I don't distrust a Chinese company any more than any other company in any other country. Yes this should be taken seriously as it's a potential privacy leak, but the fact that a Chinese company is involved is neither here nor there for me. Anyone who thinks the US, UK or any other country aren't all up to the same tricks is being very naive.

In my opinion.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Just go to some strange websites and see if it reports.
I understand that, but how do you know that the url wasn’t logged anyway?
[automerge]1571054652[/automerge]
As an outsider, I find US paranoia of anything to do with China somewhat amusing. As though western governments and corporations are the paragon of global ethics. Team America: World Police ?

Personally I don't distrust a Chinese company any more than any other company in any other country. Yes this should be taken seriously as it's a potential privacy leak, but the fact that a Chinese company is involved is neither here nor there for me. Anyone who thinks the US, UK or any other country aren't all up to the same tricks is being very naive.

In my opinion.
It’s not amusing at all, we know that our governments are no angels. That doesn’t mean we need additional headache.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Tencent has over 600 games on the App Store. Chances are pretty good they're getting a fair chunk of data from iOS users regardless of Safari settings. Tencent is involved in social media, entertainment, gaming, and many other ventures. They're getting your data.

Reactions: apolloa

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Apple needs to clarify if this is only for mainland Chinese users since Google service is not available for them.

(Anyway, sending data to Google is not really that safe too. One should turn off the feature completely if it causes any concern for privacy.)
My guess is this is for those that use Safari browser in China to log into banking to provide security for account holders and to prevent fraud. Believe it or not they do this in the US as well for online banking when using browsers to log in. If you log in from a new IP address it will require confirmation to confirm it is actual user trying to log in and not someone else. I think this is related to all finance related stuff for those using an online browser like Safari. When fraud takes place people report it to the police or local authorities and not to Apple so since local authorities/police look into stuff like this they will then ask Apple for IP address if fraud is committed.

My guess is this is to prevent scams and fraud in China. They are pretty much into tracking movements of people to catch those that commit crimes quickly.
For example, I took a train today from one destination to another. To get ticket they ask for your ID or passport. To check in and out your passport is scanned at point of entry and exit to know where and when this person traveled to and from. You have many cameras on you at point of entry and exit as well. Depending on how you look at it they care a lot about security. I am no expert on this but I can tell you that over the last 20 years or so crimes has dropped significantly in China.
IMG_20191014_110725.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: haruhiko

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
I really wish I could find an alternative privacy browser for iOS that works. I've tried a lot of them, but they don't seem to work well with some websites. DuckDuckGo and Tor works great on my Macbook Pro, but I can't seem to get the same quality on the iPad.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So now everyone will turn off this feature and we‘ll get stories of people being compromised because they didn’t know they were clicking on a link to a fraudulent website. Do we have ANY evidence Google or Tencent were improperly tracking people via this feature?

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
My guess is this is for those that use Safari browser in China to log into banking to provide security for account holders and to prevent fraud. Believe it or not they do this in the US as well for online banking when using browsers to log in. If you log in from a new IP address it will require confirmation to confirm it is actual user trying to log in and not someone else. I think this is related to all finance related stuff for those using an online browser like Safari. When fraud takes place people report it to the police or local authorities and not to Apple so since local authorities/police look into stuff like this they will then ask Apple for IP address if fraud is committed.

My guess is this is to prevent scams and fraud in China. They are pretty much into tracking movements of people to catch those that commit crimes quickly.
For example, I took a train today from one destination to another. To get ticket they ask for your ID or passport. To check in and out your passport is scanned and point of entry and exit to know where and when this person traveled to and from. You have many cameras on you at point of entry and exit as well. Depending on how you look at it they care a lot about security. I am no expert on this but I can tell you that over the last 20 years or so crimes has dropped significantly in China.
View attachment 869387
Road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And there’s also nothing unsafe about eating salmonella infested food.

Have you missed out the “/s” in your post somewhere.
What is unsafe about using google.com? I swear some people need to take off the tinfoil hats.

Why is China the issue here? Does anyone truly think that google is any better? i have issues with both of them!
What are your issues with Google?

Reactions: apolloa

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
This is what people have been saying for years... Apple doesn't truly care about privacy, it's all marketing to make up for the fact that they were falling behind in machine learning.

The fact Apple privately collects billions of dollars every year from Google to steer their users to Google's search engine while publicly criticizing them for their privacy-harvesting business model says everything you need to know about how Apple truly feels about their users' privacy. Privacy is a dollar sign to Apple, like it is to nearly every company in the tech industry.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I understand that, but how do you know that the url wasn’t logged anyway?

because when you go to fraud website and Safari doesn’t report it, it means the address didn't get sent to check, and when the address isn’t sent to check there will be no data to log.
[automerge]1571056726[/automerge]
Tencent has over 600 games on the App Store. Chances are pretty good they're getting a fair chunk of data from iOS users regardless of Safari settings. Tencent is involved in social media, entertainment, gaming, and many other ventures. They're getting your data.

not our browsing history.

Reactions: Marekul

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
Road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Is it a good intention or bad intention for banks or financial institutions to verify IP addresses for those logging into their accounts? Do you support IP verification for those trying to log into a banking account or trading account?

Due to all the surveillance cameras on the streets crimes on the streets dropped significantly so those criminals are trying to commit cyber crime online. The government wants to make it harder for them to commit cyber crime by IP verification.

Depending on how you look at it, it can be good or bad.

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's for everyone and there's nothing unsafe about sending data to Google.
Kid A was almost named No Logo, so it’s wild that someone using an element of its artwork would trust a brand so freely.
[automerge]1571057159[/automerge]
Why doesn't apple have the list of fraudulent web sites downloaded to the device and have the checks done locally on the device instead of remotely on some server owned by google or some chinese company. This doesn't sound like "what happens on your iPhone stays on your iPhone".
That’s a lot of data to host locally, and it would need to update very frequently. Orchestrating updates to millions of devices would be a headache - the current approach is the least complicated. All they need to do is scrub identifying information on the request before forwarding it.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
And while MacRumors hasn't mentioned it, Apple has an app from the Chinese government in the App Store (China only one hopes) that allows complete access to everything on the phone.
If entering the US and US customs asks for your smartphone it is not much different.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
not our browsing history.
Is that really where you're taking solace? The number of companies that have your data - more than just your browsing history - and are associated with Tencent would probably scare the bejeebus out of you. I tried going through all the companies associated with Tencent. I gave up. There were too many to list.

Those who are panicking and turning off Safe Browsing are literally wasting their time.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
I get wanting to do business in China, given their population size & such, but Tim Cook seems especially eager to bend over for them nowadays.

Reactions: freddiebarnes

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Is that really where you're taking solace? The number of companies that have your data - more than just your browsing history - and are associated with Tencent would probably scare the bejeebus out of you. I tried going through all the companies associated with Tencent. I gave up. There were too many to list.

Those who are panicking and turning off Safe Browsing are literally wasting their time.

Why I should be scared? I didn’t use social media much. Only Twitter. And I don’t play computer game. I only play games on Arcade. ??‍♂️
Please stop pretend to know who I am.

Reactions: freddiebarnes
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.