Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
If a Chinese government owned company is getting my user data I will NEVER buy another apple product again.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Not really. They didn’t clarify whether the app works with the iPhone or not, just that they haven’t tested the app on iOS yet. Which still leaves the possibility that it might, and that’s all they need the public to think.
It‘s not as easy to give a root access on iPhone. By installing an app? I’d say it’s almost impossible.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I can’t imagine being in Hong Kong, checking a “fraudulent” website that has news on when/where protests are taking shape and having your door knocked on a day later. Apple is willingly taking the side of a communist regime because of manufacturing agreement and some market share. It’s really gross.

Reactions: freddiebarnes

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Why I should be scared? I didn’t use social media much. Only Twitter. And I don’t play computer game. I only play games on Arcade. ??‍♂️
Please stop pretend to know who I am.
I was speaking generally. You are the one who, unprompted, replied to my comment. You shouldn't be scared. No one should. You should be more aware of the inter-connectivity of our digital world though. To say you only do X, Y, and Z so you don't have to worry about A, B, and C sort of displays a higher level of naivete than I expected from someone on a tech site. But hey, whatever helps you sleep.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It‘s not as easy to give a root access on iPhone.

Perhaps, but this news could not come at a worse time, with the recent spotlight on Apple and their supposed kowtowing to China. I won’t be surprised if people buy into the narrative that Apple might have built a back door into their OS just for China, because you can’t prove a negative.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I was speaking generally. You are the one who, unprompted, replied to my comment. You shouldn't be scared. No one should. You should be more aware of the inter-connectivity of our digital world though. To say you only do X, Y, and Z so you don't have to worry about A, B, and C sort of displays a higher level of naivete than I expected from someone on a tech site. But hey, whatever helps you sleep.

I’m old enough to be able to take care of myself, thank you very much. You’re not the only one in the world who knows how online world works you know?
And by the way, if you’re talking generally and not directly to me please don’t quote me.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I’m old enough to be able to take care of myself, thank you very much. You’re not the only one in the world who knows how online world works you know?
And by the way, if you’re talking generally and not directly to me please don’t quote me.
Again, you came to my quote, not the other way around. Simply stop replying and your issue is solved.

Reactions: macfacts

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I can’t imagine being in Hong Kong, checking a “fraudulent” website that has news on when/where protests are taking shape and having your door knocked on a day later. Apple is willingly taking the side of a communist regime because of manufacturing agreement and some market share. It’s really gross.

It's gross. Apple needs to do something about their China dependence ASAP or it will only get worse, especially when China begins to challenge Western world in the near future.
[automerge]1571058398[/automerge]
Again, you came to my quote, not the other way around. Simply stop replying and your issue is solved.

I quoted you because I response to yours *directly*, not generally. Get it now?

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Wooooooooooooooooow

This is corrupt AF from Tim

Absolute disgrace to go from "what's on your iPhone stays on your iPhone" to "we send your IP and browsing history to the Communist Party"

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
When I see them - or any massive company - rambling on about "privacy, privacy privacy."
I tend to mumble to myself. "Bull?"
It doesn't shock me, nothing about our info being shared doesn't anymore.

giphy.gif

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Love posts like these. I can imagine you’ve read the small print for every bit of hardware and software you’ve ever owned.
No? Didn’t think so.

There was a study that showed to read all of Apple's fine print would take something like 3 months so anyone claiming they have is a liar

Reactions: GalileoSeven

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Perhaps, but this news could not come at a worse time, with the recent spotlight on Apple and their supposed kowtowing to China. I won’t be surprised if people buy into the narrative that Apple might have built a back door into their OS just for China, because you can’t prove a negative.

Exactly

Nicksd84

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Apple never truly cared about privacy or they wouldn’t allow every app to have a billion different tracking snippets built into it. Look how many Instagram and Facebook requests I have within minutes even tho I have neither app installed
Where did that screenshot come from?

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Much ado about nothing. Every website you visit can see and log your IP. Moreover, an IP alone is meaningless since people since most IPs are dynamically assigned and shared thousands of people.

Reactions: globalist

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple never truly cared about privacy or they wouldn’t allow every app to have a billion different tracking snippets built into it. Look how many Instagram and Facebook requests I have within minutes even tho I have neither app installed

Maybe you should take the time to learn how a web browser works.

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
So data being sent to Google is ok but Tencent not?
...so an American mega-corporation Google with close ties to the US Gov is good but a Chinese company is not.
hmmm... rightyo.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Apple claims to take privacy seriously, but then they send user data to some Chinese company... bloody hypocrites!

Apple isn't "sending" anything. It is you who is making the request to check for fraudulent website, and how do you expect that to occur if you don't send any information. Moreover, an IP address alone is not personal information, and cannot be used to identify anyone. You "send" a lot more information every time you visit a website.

Get a grip.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
So data being sent to Google is ok but Tencent not?
...so an American mega-corporation Google with close ties to the US Gov is good but a Chinese company is not.
hmmm... rightyo.

Google sells your data to advertisers. Tenecent is a company operating under the heavy thumb of China's communist government (link). Yeah, I'd say there's just a bit of a difference there

Reactions: Optheduim
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.