Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
Well now that it is out in the public, this will be fixed very soon I'm sure. Which is good because I do not want anything about me in that Country.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
because when you go to fraud website and Safari doesn’t report it, it means the address didn't get sent to check, and when the address isn’t sent to check there will be no data to log.
[automerge]1571056726[/automerge]

not our browsing history.
How do you know that? Did you see the code? It’s not the first time a company said one thing while doing the other.
The point is that these things make people lose any trust they had.

Reactions: freedomlinux

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
How do you know that? Did you see the code? It’s not the first time a company said one thing while doing the other.
The point is that these things make people lose any trust they had.

I have no way to know for sure but that should be how it works. If Apple has no ill intention that will be how it works.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
I have no way to know for sure but that should be how it works. If Apple has no ill intention that will be how it works.
Indeed thats how it should work is the answer to many question if you look from the perspective of a moral person, a person who has no obligations to investors and the mighty dollar. "If Apple has no ill intention" is a very good question now.

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
People worry of Apple's relationship with the Chinese government ? They should worry more about Apple's relationship with the US government.

please. Maybe both but you should worry about China more.
[automerge]1571060907[/automerge]
Erm, that's quite a bold claim.

If you didn't have China in your life you'd not have a very good life currently considering everything from every manufacturer is built there. Not to mention they have some fantastic companies like QNAP who make the best NAS systems I won't be giving up anytime soon.

As someone in Europe, with the nut you've got at the helm, America are a far more dangerous entity to world peace at the minute and are currently doing just as many disgusting domestic things.

that’s just foolish. And please, you’re obviously getting your news about us all skewed.

Reactions: Jack Burton

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
China isn't comfortable tracking only it's own population.

China has made it pretty clear they're intent on dominating first their corner of the world, and then as much of the rest of it as they can.

Free speech, free expression, freedom of religion, privacy rights, private property rights, the right to keep an bear arms. The Chines (and global economic powers in general) want nothing to do with it.

The so called American interests hide behind the flag while outsourcing everything they can and paying taxes overseas.

The globalist gravy train is one of the reasons things like Brexit and Trump scare these people. Both threaten to undermine the ability of the global and political elite to control your every move.

I'm going to sit in a corner now, working on my new improved tin foil hat and read some sort of "wars" website about "your mind". The more I see, the more I fear they might have been right. The tin foil types.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

KnighsTalker

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
In the Web
Give us an opt out option and/or a choice of whose fraudulent website server to use. There has to be other options other than Google and especially Tencent. My two cents says don't force me to use anything being sent to or reviewed by the Chinese government!

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Never mind Tencent/China, can someone explain why on earth the billions of internet users that are NOT USA citizens need to get logged/spied by Google/Apple/USA ?

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
As an outsider, I find US paranoia of anything to do with China somewhat amusing. As though western governments and corporations are the paragon of global ethics. Team America: World Police ?

Personally I don't distrust a Chinese company any more than any other company in any other country. Yes this should be taken seriously as it's a potential privacy leak, but the fact that a Chinese company is involved is neither here nor there for me. Anyone who thinks the US, UK or any other country aren't all up to the same tricks is being very naive.

In my opinion.

think of it this way...there are no Chinese companies, they are all part of the government. Communist government.

Reactions: Heineken

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
Getting really tedious to find these subtle terms changes only for Apple to then have to go on a PR drive to explain how innocent it all is (an exercise we all pay for in device prices).

How many times do we have to go through this charade before those dumpsters running the company realise it's best to be upfront and honest to begin with to stop all this before it starts? Or alternatively, stop being so pious about your devices when they are frankly no longer any different to Android.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Maybe you should take the time to learn how a web browser works.

What does it have to do with my browser if apps r full of tracking tools. i work in Online Marketing and our own app is full those spying tools like Clevertap and I use them everyday.

I literally COULD look up an device ID on Clevertap and stalk my ex girlfriend if I wanted to yet Apple has nothing against trackers like those. I can see every click, such as navigations done inside the App without a Problem

Reactions: Heineken

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not really. They didn’t clarify whether the app works with the iPhone or not, just that they haven’t tested the app on iOS yet. Which still leaves the possibility that it might, and that’s all they need the public to think.
It is a huge correction if they originally made it seem like this applied to both iOS and Android when iOS had never been tested.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Never mind Tencent/China, can someone explain why on earth the billions of internet users that are NOT USA citizens need to get logged/spied by Google/Apple/USA ?

Google/Apple sell your data to advertisers to make money. Tenecent is a company under the heavy thumb of China's communist government........there's just a tad bit of difference there

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Google/Apple sell your data to advertisers to make money. Tenecent is a company under the heavy thumb of China's communist government........there's just a tad bit of difference there

Google and Apple sell individual data to advertisers? Source?

Reactions: CarlJ

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
Google and Apple sell individual data to advertisers? Source?
Your logic is flawed, if it has not been discovered how there can be a source? If some website tells you they don't sell your personal info to anyone, how do you know for sure until someone discovers it?

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
think of it this way...there are no Chinese companies, they are all part of the government. Communist government.

I don't really see what difference it makes. We already know that the US and UK governments are spying on their citizens long before anyone in China cares that I just visited Mac Rumors. Anything they're not doing, they're certainly trying to.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I don’t have an issue with them sending the website to them for a check but surely they don’t need my IP address.
You misunderstand - it's not that Apple is going out of your way to send your IP address to Google or Tencent, it's that your iPhone is making the request for data, and you can't send packets on the internet without a source IP address (the current IP address of your device) in them - that's fundamental to how TCP/IP and the internet work, and your IP address has to be in the packet headers in order for the answer to get back to you.

The code that you suggest that Apple could easily write, that Apple is being lazy if they don't write... again, TCP/IP packets can't come off your device without including your IP address - that's how TCP/IP works. They could have written the code so that your requests go to Apple, and Apple forwards them to Google/Tencent, and Apple receives the responses from Google/Tencent, and then Apple relays the results back to you, but this poses two problems: one, it'd slow such requests down, and two, it would leave those same IP addresses and URL (hash) data in Apple's hands, where some federal agency could potentially subpoena it. It's not just a matter of "they just couldn't be bothered", there are real drawbacks. Possibly it would have been better to bounce the data through Apple, but that remains unclear (one upside would be some "economy of scale", they could cache results of single queries to share with multiple requesting devices).

It remains to be seen if requests from devices outside of China are getting sent to Tencent. It may be only Chinese users who are subject to this. That would still be bad, but may also be some sort of legal requirement in China. Data going to Google isn't great, either, but it's data that would take a great amount of effort to associate with individual users. Google doesn't have that much motivation to do so. Tencent, and the Chinese government, may have much more motivation to do that work ("finding people you deem to be political dissidents" seems like a much stronger motivating factor than "improving the accuracy of your ad targeting data a bit").

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Your logic is flawed, if it has not been discovered how there can be a source? If some website tells you they don't sell your personal info to anyone, how do you know for sure until someone discovers it?
So guilty until proven innocent?

I was speaking in general terms (as most people making such a comparison can't be bothered to get specific like that)
It matters if a company is giving information to advertisers on a specific individual with personally identifiable information (or that information could be easily figured out) vs anonymized data.

Heineken

Suspended
Jan 27, 2018
So guilty until proven innocent?
Normally, i would agree with you, but With all the recent news accounted for - a definite yes, guilty until proven innocent. To me Apple has lost any and all credibility and respect. Respect is earned with actions, not words.

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Your sinophobia is despicable. We Europeans have had our fair share of your Five Eyes, Echelon, XKeyScore and other kinds of espionage, and nothing of the kind fom China. I trust Tencent way more than Facebook or Google, evil and malicious American companies who would sell your grandmother for dollars if they could.

By the way: China is not communist other than by name. Private companies are not part of the state, less so the government. Hey, I saw Tim Apple speaking with Obama, he must be part of the gubmint.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.