Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KennyJr

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2020
My AW 7 (97%) doesn't get nearly the battery life as my old AW 2. Then again, my AW 7 works a lot harder than my AW 2 does. I swap them out so I'm always wearing an Apple Watch (the fundamentals are the same).

Last edited:

rjjacobson

macrumors demi-god
Sep 12, 2014
My launch day series 7 is still at 100%. I will get the series 8 on launch day and give this series 7 to my brother, who is still sporting my old SS series 3.
Same for my series 7 as well. I do not do betas on it either.

As another issue however I have the Optimized battery charging on (by default) and with several versions of 8.5x WatchOS and now with 8.6 I have occasional nights when the watch will charge to 80 percent til shortly before my normal time of waking up 7 Amish. Well I was up at 6 AM today and when I looked my watch was 30 percent and looking at the charge last night I see it did go to 80 percent from around 30 when I put on stand at 7 PM. But after that it did not stay at 80 percent and dropped to 30 percent by morning. Some later mornings when I get up (versions of 8.5x WatchOS) it randomly does that and I find it is at 1 percent and I have to put back on charger and after hour it is 100 percent charged. I am using the old original apple charger I had with my watch 3 (a disk with the charger that pops up in vertiical postion. I am not sure where the puck that came with it the 7 is at maybe I should find it. Update found it stored among various cables and such. It is USB-c of course and made for the bigger apple chargers. But the charger looks same as others so not sure if I want another power block or not. Maybe it would work better with the new Apple Watch 7

Last edited:

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
My launch day S4 has 79%, I use the workout app and its many sensors at least once a day. I charge it nightly too. But the battery life still fits my needs as it’s fine when I wake up, and in need of a charge just when I go to bed.

If you’ve lost 1% since you last checked, I‘d be surprised if you really noticed it! Enjoy the watch, it’s a fitness device and made to be used! :)

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

tugger

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2005
S6 Launch Day now at 93%. Usually not charged daily -- at the end of the 2nd day it's typically at ~15%. Optimized Charging always active. Battery Cycle Count:

<key>com.apple.ioreport.BatteryCycleCount</key>
<integer>281</integer>

I didn't know that Watch analytics was even a thing. It's available if you have Analytics activated on your paired iPhone. Access is almost the same as for the iPhone Battery Cycle count:

• iPhone > Settings > Privacy > Analytics & Improvements > Analytics Data.

• Scroll down the list to the two most recent log-aggregated-YYYY-MM-DD entries. Open them and one will have "Watch OS X.X.X" in the first line of the contents.

• Easiest way from here is to send this file to your Mac, open it with Text Exit and search for "BatteryCycleCount."

Last edited:
Reactions: jz0309

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My launch day S4 has 79%, I use the workout app and its many sensors at least once a day. I charge it nightly too. But the battery life still fits my needs as it’s fine when I wake up, and in need of a charge just when I go to bed.

If you’ve lost 1% since you last checked, I‘d be surprised if you really noticed it! Enjoy the watch, it’s a fitness device and made to be used! :)
79%? Mine is at 74% and is already telling me to Service Battery Required

I'm also on an S4 on launch day.

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
79%? Mine is at 74% and is already telling me to Service Battery Required

I'm also on an S4 on launch day.
Yeah they do that once it drops below either 80% or 85% depending in the product, it’s to get you to change or replace I imagine (£). In my opinion, ignore the figure and base it on how the product feels.

IMHO - if your usage suggests that there is nothing wrong with the battery for you to notice, or more to the point consider worth buying a new one, completely ignore it.

If it’s bad enough that you really can’t get through what you intend to do with the device, then perhaps consider changing it?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Yeah they do that once it drops below either 80% or 85% depending in the product, it’s to get you to change or replace I imagine (£). In my opinion, ignore the figure and base it on how the product feels.

IMHO - if your usage suggests that there is nothing wrong with the battery for you to notice, or more to the point consider worth buying a new one, completely ignore it.

If it’s bad enough that you really can’t get through what you intend to do with the device, then perhaps consider changing it?
Well, this S4 will become a hand-me-down, so I'll replace the battery. However, as to my usage, I have only lost the ability to use it an entire 30 hours without a charge. Now it charges every night.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
Well, this S4 will become a hand-me-down, so I'll replace the battery. However, as to my usage, I have only lost the ability to use it an entire 30 hours without a charge. Now it charges every night.
Will you replace the battery, or will Apple charge £80 for the pleasure? Coincidentally the same value as trading the device in was a hard pass from my side, but I suppose if you can do it yourself cheaper?

Not attempted a DIY replacement, my concern would be the water protection.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Will you replace the battery, or will Apple charge £80 for the pleasure? Coincidentally the same value as trading the device in was a hard pass from my side, but I suppose if you can do it yourself cheaper?

Not attempted a DIY replacement, my concern would be the water protection.
I'll have Apple replace it. Mainly do to the fact that while I am tech savvy, the watch is a smaller device than what I am accustomed.

I do have tools to do the whole DIY, but at work. Also, I am not sure how well water resistance will hold up if I do the replacement.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I'll have Apple replace it. Mainly do to the fact that while I am tech savvy, the watch is a smaller device than what I am accustomed.

I do have tools to do the whole DIY, but at work. Also, I am not sure how well water resistance will hold up if I do the replacement.

This is how I feel exactly. I have replaced parts on lots of our electronics over the years including several laptops, phones, iPads, and Nintendo portables, but I don't think I'd even attempt to mess with the watch. Too tiny, and too easy and expensive to mess up.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
This is how I feel exactly. I have replaced parts on lots of our electronics over the years including several laptops, phones, iPads, and Nintendo portables, but I don't think I'd even attempt to mess with the watch. Too tiny, and too easy and expensive to mess up.
Agreed, too small of a work space and to easy to screw it up.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K

I will be really interested to know how much of a difference you see, keep us posted! So far the stories I saw are from less degraded batteries.

It may seem silly but I feel like a mixture of the increased capabilities of the software and early degradation means I have forgotten what it’s like for it to last over multiple days. That said, I upgraded from a day 1 S0 so charging it nightly is sort of normal for me!

8 years. Wow…

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I will be really interested to know how much of a difference you see, keep us posted! So far the stories I saw are from less degraded batteries.

It may seem silly but I feel like a mixture of the increased capabilities of the software and early degradation means I have forgotten what it’s like for it to last over multiple days. That said, I upgraded from a day 1 S0 so charging it nightly is sort of normal for me!

8 years. Wow…
Let me put it this way, the battery when new lasted 2 days without a charge and assuming no workout, with workout, it lasted 18-19hrs.

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Had mine since almost launch (S7 cellular), battery health is at 93%. Idk if it’s normal, but I’m a bit disappointed with such a rapid battery degradation - for comparison my 3.5 years old iPhone is at 90%.

But I suspect something might be wrong with, specifically, the battery: sometimes I experience ghost touches (when it randomly registers taps in the bottom right corner of the screen), this is usually triggered after charging.

r.d

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2007
Etobicoke, ON
Launch day S7 SS currently still at 100% battery health. I use the included fast charging cable every morning and wear it every day.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

My S5 is at 82% battery health and was replaced by Apple in March 2020 after my first S5 had a broken speaker. Over the last week I am getting just 12-13 hours use before it turns off with no more battery. Quite frustrating it now doesn’t last a day and is just over 2 years old. I hope the Series 8 is a bigger improvement.

Apples n' Stone

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2015
Maidstone, U.K
My S5 is at 82% battery health and was replaced by Apple in March 2020 after my first S5 had a broken speaker. Over the last week I am getting just 12-13 hours use before it turns off with no more battery. Quite frustrating it now doesn’t last a day and is just over 2 years old. I hope the Series 8 is a bigger improvement.
It’s lost 18% in two years? That’s crazy. I presume you checked it showed 100 on the first day? The usage doesn’t surprise me as I got just a little more out of the S4 with 77% but the key difference being it was a launch day battery (September 2018) and no AOD.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
It’s lost 18% in two years? That’s crazy. I presume you checked it showed 100 on the first day? The usage doesn’t surprise me as I got just a little more out of the S4 with 77% but the key difference being it was a launch day battery (September 2018) and no AOD.

Yeah it’s quite appalling to be honest. I might contact Apple and see if I get the ‘that is normal’ tripe that I got when I asked about my iPhone 12 being in 86% after just 18 months. Seems to be a fundamental flaw for a smartwatch not to be able to last a day. If I do any fitness tracking on it it lasts even less time.

I’ve turned AOD off this morning to see if it improves it for today.

ff1cfd5f5f129b3e1b464212b655dbf9.jpg

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
It is a small battery so degredation will be much faster than on an iPhone:

Apple Watch Series 7 SS
Date buy : Lunchdate
Battery health : 94%
Charging period : Every night

BMWKante

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2021
Launch day S7 @ 92 %. Maybe because I keep cellular on. It's first cellular watch for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.