Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Correct. I've since sold it, it was down to 89% when I shipped it out (mid Oct)

It’s worrying that the batteries still degrade so quickly on these newer watches. My S5 is on 82% and I was under the impression it was bad on mine as it was the first Watch with the AOD. I’ve had to turn that off in order to make it through the day in recent months. It sounds like the S7 is just as bad though.

olexi

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2020
S7, using it since the beginning of 2022 in January. 90% now. Charging with the fast charger every night before bed.

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
S7 45mm, non cellular

Since Xmas 21 charging every 1,5-2,5 days with included quick charger.
Using as heart and sleep tracker.

Most messages and background updates off.
Since summer 22 AOD off.

Till Xmas 22 94% battery health
Then till today 89% wtf😯🤬
C7F72176-C0F0-4E26-942B-1408A482C37E.jpeg

👉🏻 The battery capacity was the first thing that worried me about the purchase.
Due to many positive battery reports, I then bought the Apple Watch S7. And now exactly that... am very disappointed - will probably be my first and last Apple Watch, unfortunately.😔

500 € for the clock plus every 1-1.5 years a new battery for 100 € is out of the question. 🤬

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
I have come to realise, there are only a few situations where I need aod on, I have set up a shortcut tailored to the specific events. Otherwise I just leave off now. I have just had an ac+ replacement on my S5 so have a fresh battery. I notice a slightly longer running time but to be honest my nearly 2yr old battery on the replaced Watch was still lasting me the day (86%) and I had aod on all the time on that.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
AOD had a huge effect on the battery on my Series 5 and it’s clear this issue wasn’t corrected for the Series 7, judging by the feedback on here. If I replace my Apple Watch later this year I will undoubtedly disable AOD to preserve the life of the battery. My wife’s Series 4 is a year older than my watch, is charged every night like mine and yet has a better health reading. I get the impression Apple have ignored this much like their neglect of Siri.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
What do you mean?

The fact it’s one of the worse voice recognition softwares in the consumer arena and far behind the likes of Google and Amazon. It’s widely criticised as being underdeveloped and is consistently lacking in comparison tests.

My favourite failure response when asking for a simple timer on my Apple Watch:

8f9aba7af8b32f78e50fe878fdb565de.jpg

I think that illustrates this perfectly.

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
The fact it’s one of the worse voice recognition softwares in the consumer arena and far behind the likes of Google and Amazon.
Ah, you mean the general issue with Siri. 😄
You're right.

But with timer there's no problem on my watch and iphone. Just say "Hey Siri, Timer x minutes" Ready.

Tip:
maybe you’re Watch/iPhone have a Problem with speech recognition in Siri. So disable Siri in general settings and after this toggle it on again.
Now very important - put your iphone 2m away in a quite area and speak the required sentences in normal volume.
You will recognize a much better Siri

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
My series 7 SBTi still at 10%. Use an old 12 watt Apple block and charge via the lightning plug. Still looks like brand new.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ah, you mean the general issue with Siri.
You're right.

But with timer there's no problem on my watch and iphone. Just say "Hey Siri, Timer x minutes" Ready.

Tip:
maybe you’re Watch/iPhone have a Problem with speech recognition in Siri. So disable Siri in general settings and after this toggle it on again.
Now very important - put your iphone 2m away in a quite area and speak the required sentences in normal volume.
You will recognize a much better Siri

Most of the time that command works, but every so often my watch will just get totally confused. I can ask an Amazon Echo the same command and it never seems to get confused. I’ve used Siri on iPhones since Apple launched it and it feels like it is in the same state it was at the very start and to be honest that is unacceptable. For something that Apple puts so much emphasis in when marketing it’s services, they need to seriously overhaul it and bring it up to standard. AOD on the watches also needs to be looked at as it’s depleting batteries much quicker than is reasonably acceptable IMO.

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Any updates on S7 battery health? Mine was purchased in Nov 2021 and now close to 2.5 years later it's at 80%. The decrease has not been consistent. It depleted quickly to about 83% in that time and then it's been taking it's sweet time. But now at 80% and has been like that since about November 2023.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Im at 86% now but hadn't checked it for a while. Works well for me for over a day so not too fussed until it hits 80%.

However just realised the warranty expires in a week. Worth extending again?

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Mines been at 80% for a couple of months. Warranty finished last Nov. Charge cycles are at 560, AW should be good to 1000 before getting to 80% which makes me think the health algo is not great. I still get a day out of it and thats doing a 1.5hr run listening to a podcast with airpods. I was holding out until 79% and just going gor a battery change but a killer upgrade deal came along.
I’ve sold thd S7 to a retailer who are checking the device as we speak, they stipulate ‘must have at least 80% battery health’ so will be interesting ho hear what they say lol.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Mines been at 80% for a couple of months. Warranty finished last Nov. Charge cycles are at 560, AW should be good to 1000 before getting to 80% which makes me think the health algo is not great. I still get a day out of it and thats doing a 1.5hr run listening to a podcast with airpods. I was holding out until 79% and just going gor a battery change but a killer upgrade deal came along.
I’ve sold thd S7 to a retailer who are checking the device as we speak, they stipulate ‘must have at least 80% battery health’ so will be interesting ho hear what they say lol.
Which tool give you the cycle count?

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
I took a few days, but I figured out how to get cycle count too (I looked into analytics file in settings, at the bottom of one of the files, the shortcut finds it for you though) and I have a full 779 cycles. I thought mine was bad given it's at 80% at 779 cycles, but yours seems to be quite a bit worse actually if it's at 560 and at same 80%.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
I took a few days, but I figured out how to get cycle count too (I looked into analytics file in settings, at the bottom of one of the files, the shortcut finds it for you though) and I have a full 779 cycles. I thought mine was bad given it's at 80% at 779 cycles, but yours seems to be quite a bit worse actually if it's at 560 and at same 80%.
Yea, I think that’s the penalty of aod and fast charging.
Still got a day out of it with a 1.5hr run with airpods but the tell tail sign is that it only takes an hour to charge from dead to full

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Yea, I think that’s the penalty of aod and fast charging.
Still got a day out of it with a 1.5hr run with airpods but the tell tail sign is that it only takes an hour to charge from dead to full
I didn’t realise it would be but makes total sense. Less juice to charge up. It’s similar with me. I didn’t use fast charging for a big chunk but I do use the watch alllll the time. I monitor my sleep and only take it off for showers really. Once it gets below 80% I will use my AppleCare on it.

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
Well, as predicted, my S7 failed their battery drain test, lost 8% in 10mins (5% or below was a pass) they offered £75, I said you're alright, no thanks, send it back and I'll keep as a spare.
Might just get a battery replacement and sell on eBay. Should get £250 with a fresh battery being a SBTi

Reactions: Howard2k

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Well, as predicted, my S7 failed their battery drain test, lost 8% in 10mins (5% or below was a pass) they offered £75, I said you're alright, no thanks, send it back and I'll keep as a spare.
Might just get a battery replacement and sell on eBay. Should get £250 with a fresh battery being a SBTi
Interesting. And this happened even though it’s at 80%? Was it in store?

DSTOFEL

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2011
I bought my SS S7 45mm .085 score and 3 days ago. That’s about 1 yr & 7 months for you guy’s that measure time in modern terms. The battery health is 84%. That sounds about reasonable. If the S10 comes with a fresh new design, I’ll likely upgrade. If not, I’ll probably opt for a new battery for the S7 and keep on keeping on.

Jerhen

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2015
I haven't read all the posts, but I have an S7 GPS Only 45mm. Bought it October of 2022. Battery Health is at 95%. Have worn it daily to work, office job, and take it off when I get home and then wear to bed. I just got my S9 today. I wanted to get a Stainless Steel model so I bit the bullet and was like what the heck. Sold my S7 to a family member for $150. I am not for sure how many charge cycles were on my S7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.