Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
People have been working from home for decades, but that doesn't mean the in-person collaboration is suddenly outdated.

It doesn’t mean it isn’t either. We can point to numerous reasons why it’s outdated. You haven’t given a single reason why it still makes sense.

Yes, I agree there should be a flexible WFH policy which Apple has. Those that don't like the policy can either suck it up or leave.

You have a very strange definition of “flexible”.

What about customers? Do they require the same sort of physical presence? Should Apple shut down its online store and require customers to purchase products throught brick-and-mortar stores? Tell them to “suck it up or leave”? Finding new customers can‘t possibly be any harder than finding top-flight electronic and hardware engineers, can it?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And some of it may be influenced by a 5 billion dollar investment. My money is on the 5 billion dollar investment is a factor in their specific policies because all companies are weighing decisions based on their office space all over the world.
I agree Apple wants its employees back in the office as they fell in-person collaboration is better. The office though does happen to be an expensive building.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It doesn’t mean it isn’t either. We can point to numerous reasons why it’s outdated. You haven’t given a single reason why it still makes sense.
In arguing my opinion of apples rational. My opinion is not relevant because I didn’t ask apple employees to return to the office.
You have a very strange definition of “flexible”.
It’s not my definition, it’s apples.
What about customers? Do they require the same sort of physical presence? Should Apple shut down its online store and require customers to purchase products throught brick-and-mortar stores?
This is moving the goalposts. I thought this conversation was about professional staff returning to work in apple campus. But I guess I was incorrect.
Tell them to “suck it up or leave”? Finding new customers can‘t possibly be any harder than finding top-flight electronic and hardware engineers, can it?
Are you discussing customers or employees. I was discussing employees.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
As someone who has been BOTH a backroom IT ugnaught and a service guy who around in van with a toolbelt, I can only hope there is more and more work from home. Politicians, useless as usual, have tried to figure out how to reduce traffic. They lecture and lecture people who drive alone in their cars. But they blame ALL drivers in so doing. But what if they people who do not need to leave their homes simply did not leave? Because, yes, when I was a service guy I HAD to drive. As do the delivery people. As do the people commuting to jobs which require physical activity.

All traffic isn't the same. If more white color people could and would stay off the roads, there would be less congestion for the people who need to get somewhere. It's win-win.
This has already been proven to be true. It’s not even a hypothesis. During the early days of the pandemic, there was no rush hour traffic anywhere in the US.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
In arguing my opinion of apples rational. My opinion is not relevant because I didn’t ask apple employees to return to the office.

You’re arguing your opinion, but your opinion is not relevant???

Why would you argue a point that you consider irrelevant?

It’s not my definition, it’s apples.

No, it isn’t just Apple’s. It’s a constant drumbeat we’ve been hearing for months, from the media, from politicians: It’s time for us to “get back to normal”. Back to working in the office, shopping in stores instead of ordering from Amazon, eating in restaurants instead of getting home delivery, watching movies in theaters instead of streaming, going to church instead of online services, going on cruises and vacations, no masks, no social distancing, no protective measures of any kind; the pandemic is over, no matter how many people are dying each day.

Apple is just following the pack.

Are you discussing customers or employees. I was discussing employees.

I’m pointing out the inconsistency in your logic. If in-person communication is vital for employees, why wouldn’t it be just as necessary for customers?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You’re arguing your opinion, but your opinion is not relevant???

Why would you argue a point that you consider irrelevant?

No, it isn’t just Apple’s. It’s a constant drumbeat we’ve been hearing for months, from the media, from politicians: It’s time for us to “get back to normal”. Back to working in the office, shopping in stores instead of ordering from Amazon, eating in restaurants instead of getting home delivery, watching movies in theaters instead of streaming, going to church instead of online services, going on cruises and vacations, no masks, no social distancing, no protective measures of any kind; the pandemic is over, no matter how many people are dying each day.

Apple is just following the pack.

I’m pointing out the inconsistency in your logic. If in-person communication is vital for employees, why wouldn’t it be just as necessary for customers?
My opinion about what Apple is doing is not relevant here. Apple's opinion, which I am attempting to guess, is very relevant. You can argue my interpretation of Apples opinion is wrong and that is fair. But I believe Tim Cook when he says Apples' culture is one of collaboration where in-person works best. So yes, they want to use their office space, but they want to use it because they have a culture of in-person collaboration. Post pandemic they have a flexible WFH policy. You may not think of it as flexible and that is a fair opinion. I do think of it as flexible.

Apple is following the return to normalcy from the craziness of 2020 and it should. However, change has taken hold and employers have had to change the way they remote vs office work. Companies and corporations have different views and some like Twitter, iirc, has eliminated office work. Some went to flexible schedules and some I'm assuming went 100% back in the office, maybe with some exceptions.

So there is no inconsistency in my logic as my opinion as opposed to my opinion of Apples stance could be different.

DblHelix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
They were hired to be in the office and compensated for this scenario. If anything they would be losing the bonus the gained over the last two years of saving those expenses.
Pay more for electricity and heating bet the net change is 0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.