Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
As an employer, even if you’re working remotely I expect you to be working between 9-5, not taking care of children, your parents, taking extended breaks, or playing Xbox. I’m not paying someone for 40 hours of work if they only actually work 30. Even if “I got all of my tasks completed.”
If people do that during their job they need more work to do. I barely have enough time to put headphones on and listen to music while I work.

Reactions: TheRealTVGuy

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
There is no proof that apple had these issues for years either.
Yes there is. I listed several issues. One of the biggest ones I faced was Snow Leopard deleting all my files due to that bug. This is THE moment I decided to never have any data on my operating system drive and to have it all on externals or separate internals like my 2010 Mac Pro. And how about throttling the i9 laptops due to a firmware bug? How about the horrible butterfly keyboards? The anti-work from home crowd needs to stop spouting sunshine and rainbows when there have been some VERY VERY bad bugs and issues with Apple for well over a decade.

Last edited:

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I think is funny how some people think work at home is a right. 😂 here’s a thought watch out if companies start hiring remote you just got a lot more competition for your job.
I think it’s funny how some people think that work must involve two hours in traffic, 15 minutes looking for parking, and four hours per day ********ting at work with coworkers.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yes there is. I listed several issues. One of the biggest ones I faced was Snow Leopard deleting all my files due to that bug. This is THE moment I decided to never have any data on my operating system drive and to have it all on externals or separate internals like my 2010 Mac Pro. And how about throttling the i9 laptops due to a firmware bug? How about the horrible butterfly keyboards? The anti-work from home crowd needs to stop spouting sunshine and rainbows when there have been some VERY VERY bad bugs and issues with Apple for well over a decade.

Bugs existed before Covid and aren’t any great indication there are long standing problems, but lockdown slowed things down and made team efficiencies (More) difficult, imo.

The pro-work at home crowd need to step away from their own biases and understand the wfh is not a panacea.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Bugs existed before Covid and aren’t any great indication there are long standing problems, but lockdown slowed things down and made team efficiencies (More) difficult, imo.

The pro-work at home crowd need to step away from their own biases and understand the wfh is not a panacea.
You are kidding right? I have thought Apple has had quality issues for about a decade now. 2010 Mac Pro and operating system at the time were pretty much the best Apple ever was. So yes, there are definitely long standing problems with Apple and working from home is not the reason for these things.

How are we saying working from home is the best? We are simply stating that Apple was continuing to function well with the two years of working from home. And the nonsense that the anti-WFH crowd spouts that all of Apple's current problems are ONLY due to working from home is just incorrect.

My stance is leave it to choice and even performance. EARN the opportunity to work from home and have it a choice. Do not force someone that is far far more effective working from home back in to an office where they are shoved in a very small cubicle all day.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You are kidding right?
No, I’m not kidding.
I have thought Apple has had quality issues for about a decade now.
Imo, iOS doesn’t have those “quality issues.”
2010 Mac Pro and operating system at the time were pretty much the best Apple ever was. So yes, there are definitely long standing problems with Apple and working from home is not the reason for these things.
Yes, in your opinion. However, wfh, while many companies overcame and learned how to adapt, was not a panacea.
How are we saying working from home is the best? We are simply stating that Apple was continuing to function well with the two years of working from home.
Apple clearly functioned. How well it functioned, you or I won’t know unless you (because I’m not) are in the inner circle. You don’t really know how many extra regressions were brought about by lockdown.
And the nonsense that the anti-WFH crowd spouts that all of Apple's current problems are ONLY due to working from home is just incorrect.
Yes, in your opinion.
My stance is leave it to choice and even performance. EARN the opportunity to work from home and have it a choice. Do not force someone that is far far more effective working from home back in to an office where they are shoved in a very small cubicle all day.
Yes. 100%. Form your own company and provide that flexibility. Want to work for someone—one has to follow their rules.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
If people do that during their job they need more work to do. I barely have enough time to put headphones on and listen to music while I work.
Not everyone in a company is from the assigned work flow, support or administrative roles it would vary as issues or projects get achieved. Some jobs are on demand functionality.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Maybe convert the spaceship into condos? They'd sell out in no time.

That would get the "trophy" real-estate off Apple's books and it could start thinking clearly again - like it used to. It could return to challenging the establishment instead of trying to one-up it.

The building's a monument. Monuments are for the dead.
A monument is a “statue, building, or other structure erected to commemorate a famous or notable person or event”

The only thing on this large piece of land is the 1916 Glendenning Barn which survived both HP campus as well this Apple campus. It was carefully preserved, moved from its original location by Apple. The area around this large building has many trees planted as a tribute to the past farming industry that was so prevalent around the valley 60 years ago.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Apple clearly functioned. How well it functioned, you or I won’t know unless you (because I’m not) are in the inner circle. You don’t really know how many extra regressions were brought about by lockdown.
That right there is exactly the point of the anti-WFH stances are not valid. It has not been proven Monterey bugs or iOS 15 bugs are a direct result of working from home. Just like Apple had some very serious bugs over a decade ago, they can still have bugs now whether they work from home or not. So to constantly state "Glad they are forcing people back to the office, macOS and iOS are too buggy" is not discussing facts. Just anti-WFH speech.

And Apple could very well have performed well above expectations, but they might ONLY want people back to put the building to good use. We will never know.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
And Apple could very well have performed well above expectations, but they might ONLY want people back to put the building to good use. We will never know.
Seems like you consider WFH adequate for most job roles. However consider the inefficiency of working in closed areas that are not possible in one's house even if using encrypted communications. Apple certainly has progressed to needing more and more confidentiality in recent years. It not like the campuses are open work areas for everyone it likely very restricted on how the space is utilized to maintain confidentiality.

Reactions: jerryk

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Part of the reason why tech companies in Silicon Valley are willing to pay so much is precisely to offset the high cost of living. Accepting remote work from another part of the world could mean having to settle for lower wages in this regard. Not necessarily a bad thing, assuming your standard of living is preserved, but definitely something to bear in mind.

Higher wages mean higher income taxes. A $50K decrease in cost of living means an extra $50,000 in your bank account. A $50K salary increase does not.

Plus, having the flexibility to live where you choose has value in itself. Some people might prefer to live in their home town near their aging parents or in a cabin in the Rockies or an area that‘s more beneficial for their allergies, none of which are measured by “cost of living”. I remember a rather well-known music professor who lived in upstate New York, while his wife who was also a professor lived lived in Tennessee, because that was where each of them could get tenure. Telecommuting would have benefitted them in ways that went far beyond the cost of a second apartment.

Reactions: Dozer_Zaibatsu

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
For Apple one reason they want people in the office is for security. Prototype iPhones, Macs, etc. at least in early stages should really not be allowed to leave Apple facilities.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Plus, having the flexibility to live where you choose has value in itself. Some people might prefer to live in their home town near their aging parents or in a cabin in the Rockies or an area that‘s more beneficial for their allergies, none of which are measured by “cost of living”. I remember a rather well-known music professor who lived in upstate New York, while his wife who was also a professor lived lived in Tennessee, because that was where each of them could get tenure. Telecommuting would have benefitted them in ways that went far beyond the cost of a second apartment.
WFH is still not great for everyone no matter how it's argued. Its like the motivation behind National Unplugging Day 2022 that celebrates 24 hours without electronic devices like smartphones. Too many people become addicted to being plugged in. That can go a lot further then phones, such as blogs, forums, media viewing and so on. Communicating virtually is still lacking 3rd person observational spontaneity which is impulse driven from unexpected contact of other people. Also you can't see some one reacting as well by camera. Its gets lonely staying at home also. :)

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Also you can't see some one reacting as well by camera. Its gets lonely staying at home also. :)

Oh, for Pete’s sake. The first problem was solved when humans learned to communicate with words rather than making faces. The second was solved when they agreed to allow wolves to share their campfires. Long before offices and cubicles were invented.

Those excuses are about as lame as you can get.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That right there is exactly the point of the anti-WFH stances are not valid. It has not been proven Monterey bugs or iOS 15 bugs are a direct result of working from home. Just like Apple had some very serious bugs over a decade ago, they can still have bugs now whether they work from home or not. So to constantly state "Glad they are forcing people back to the office, macOS and iOS are too buggy" is not discussing facts. Just anti-WFH speech.

Exactly. We will never know. But my money is on the premise that in person communications is better for the team than zoom; not that they want “to put the building to good use”.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Oh, for Pete’s sake. The first problem was solved when humans learned to communicate with words rather than making faces. The second was solved when they agreed to allow wolves to share their campfires. Long before offices and cubicles were invented.
It was much better when the well educated that loves WFH and the people less educated that can't WFH all work at a some company building. Makes the economy a lot stronger with all the local industry that relies on those companies presence for sale of supplies, food, etc. :p

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Exactly. We will never know. But my money is on the premise that in person communications is better for the team than zoom; not that they want “to put the building to good use”.

Decisions are not binary but companies main motivation is money and they spent 5 billion on a campus that was completed only a few years before the pandemic. So yes one massive factor is absolutely about putting the building to good use.

Now if a genie popped up and gave Apple the following choices in a post pandemic WFH world;

1. Apple keeps the campus and tries to get things back to the way they were
2. Apple gets back 5 billion, adopts a larger WFH strategy and just uses their original campus

Apple very well might choose option 2. The thing is option 2 is off the table for Apple but I know multiple companies that indeed choose option 2 and got rid of some of their commercial real estate during the pandemic because they save $$$$ and would rather have employees at home because their bottom line is better. I've seen then variations of this play well out before the pandemic with organizations restructures over the past 10+ years at different companies. They don't care if you cant personally talk with Bob about your project face to face even if it was more efficient. As an extreme example there's a reason why they will offshore different departments even if it clearly results in massive inefficiencies with language barriers.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
It was much better when the well educated that loves WFH and the people less educated that can't WFH all work at a some company building. Makes the economy a lot stronger with all the local industry that relies on those companies presence for sale of supplies, food, etc. :p

WFH has enabled a huge growth in home delivery. People don’t stop needing supplies, food, etc. just because they aren’t in cubicles.

If we take your arguments to the next level, maybe Apple should convert part of its headquarters into barracks? Then employees would never need to leave.

Reactions: icwhatudidthere

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Decisions are not binary but companies main motivation is money and they spent 5 billion on a campus that was completed only a few years before the pandemic. So yes one massive factor is absolutely about putting the building to good use.

Now if a genie popped up and gave Apple the following choices in a post pandemic WFH world;

1. Apple keeps the campus and tries to get things back to the way they were
2. Apple gets back 5 billion, adopts a larger WFH strategy and just uses their original campus

Apple very well might choose option 2. The thing is option 2 is off the table for Apple but I know multiple companies that indeed choose option 2 and got rid of some of their commercial real estate during the pandemic because they save $$$$ and would rather have employees at home because their bottom line is better. I've seen then variations of this play well out before the pandemic with organizations restructures over the past 10+ years at different companies. They don't care if you cant personally talk with Bob about your project face to face even if it was more efficient. As an extreme example there's a reason why they will offshore different departments even if it clearly results in massive inefficiencies with language barriers.
Can't really generalize from company to company as there are varied jobs, departments, cultures and so on. Apple's culture may be one of in-person collaboration and that is their prerogative -- may have little to do with magically choosing option #2.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
As an employer, even if you’re working remotely I expect you to be working between 9-5, not taking care of children, your parents, taking extended breaks, or playing Xbox. I’m not paying someone for 40 hours of work if they only actually work 30. Even if “I got all of my tasks completed.”

I've been working for a company that got an injection of VC right before the pandemic. Oops. A lot of the employees were cubicle-farmed and engaged in customer service. Perfect for moving them to work remotely. In theory. We created a plan for onboarding new users remotely and sending them some IT equipment. We entered into a burst of hiring, and not being geographically limited meant we could hire people from a wide geographic area.

After two years of this, I have to say it's 50/50. Some people absolutely cannot handle working remotely. They are too distracted. They cannot get work done. They panic and open tickets for routine things because they don't have anyone near them to ask "how do I move windows between screens?" Some people obviously have rough situations without a good place to work. Some people were cagey about how bad their internet was. We had massive turnover.

A lot of people have thrived. Our coders, once a year passed, just began quickly moving out en masse. We had a crazy typical startup office. People close together in open desks. "FUN" Nerf battles. Fridges with string cheese and Kind bars. Turns out, once people no longer had to deal with traffic and squeeze into the office every day, they got used to it and dropped office culture like a bad habit.

They quickly began moving to the far ends of the state where real estate is Not Insane. And others to Alabama and Tennessee and New Mexico. People who do work where their priority is being left alone to concentrate have found it much easier to work remotely. I certainly get far more scripting done working without an office to distract me.

The change in culture is very real. We are about to sell our ****** townhouse for cash and look for a place elsewhere, too.

icwhatudidthere

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2019
WFH has enabled a huge growth in home delivery. People don’t stop needing supplies, food, etc. just because they aren’t in cubicles.

If we take your arguments to the next level, maybe Apple should convert part of its headquarters into barracks? Then employees would never need to leave.
Exactly. It annoys me to hear noise from people like NYC's mayor about getting people back in offices to support the NYC economy. That would actually end up being at the cost of the local economy close to my home! When I'm WFH I buy more food from local restaurants and local farmers markets. Increasing NYC's economy would mean decreasing my local town's economy.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA

Home delivery is expensive for established local small businesses, it made sense when people were staying at home because of covid-19, but it still was very hard on local businesses. Using online warehouses to supply food/goods does not help the economy it only helps to narrow consumers choices to specific large corporations that maintain many warehouses like Amazon, many of the food chains, Walmart, Target and like.

Well if your job was public safety it would be like that. But I know of few companies that you need to stick around all the time. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.