Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Exactly. It annoys me to hear noise from people like NYC's mayor about getting people back in offices to support the NYC economy. That would actually end up being at the cost of the local economy close to my home! When I'm WFH I buy more food from local restaurants and local farmers markets. Increasing NYC's economy would mean decreasing my local town's economy.
Why do I keep seeing this in my mind when people complain about going to work? :p

rawgif.gif

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Home delivery is expensive for established local small businesses, it made sense when people were staying at home because of covid-19, but it still was very hard on local businesses. Using online warehouses to supply food/goods does not help the economy

According to politicians and ideologues, maybe. Not in the real world.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
They could have done it gradually instead of having thousands of employees back to work all at once.

It’s amazing how much one can learn when one reasons the text accompanying an article, and not just the headline…

The report states that Apple employees will be required to work from the office at least one day per week by April 11, at least two days per week by May 2, and at least three days per week by May 23. Those three days would be Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, with most employees having the option to work remotely on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
Why do I keep seeing this in my mind when people complain about going to work? :p

rawgif.gif

People have been complaining about the sedentary nature of office jobs for decades. I'm getting gray. I'm well familiar with fighting with traffic as a commuter. At my first job I wore a SUIT every day to show I was serious. I also drove a service van with a bolt on it to fix things. I miss none of that.

My fashion choices are now mostly Adidas during the day, it's true. I also have been able to go on five-mile runs during my lunch hour. I will fight like hell to be mostly remote for the rest of my working life.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
WFH is still not great for everyone no matter how it's argued. Its like the motivation behind National Unplugging Day 2022 that celebrates 24 hours without electronic devices like smartphones. Too many people become addicted to being plugged in. That can go a lot further then phones, such as blogs, forums, media viewing and so on. Communicating virtually is still lacking 3rd person observational spontaneity which is impulse driven from unexpected contact of other people. Also you can't see some one reacting as well by camera. Its gets lonely staying at home also. :)
If working from home is not great at all, why do so many companies have divisions and employees based in India? They are not physically in the same building, and all their communication is from conference calls. I have had to have conference calls at 6 AM local time and even as late as 9 PM local time in order to discuss with our developers in India. That was a good 6 years ago.

If working from home is not great at all, why was there an open position with Apple when I was searching for new jobs 5 years ago for a remote work senior developer? Apple shouldn't allow any remote work position according to the people on this site!

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
Exactly. We will never know. But my money is on the premise that in person communications is better for the team than zoom; not that they want “to put the building to good use”.
Then explain to me how I was able to apply to Apple for a full remote position as a senior developer about 5 years ago? I guess Apple is clearly in the wrong by having remote positions available huh since Zoom NEVER EVER works?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Then explain to me how I was able to apply to Apple for a full remote position as a senior developer about 5 years ago? I guess Apple is clearly in the wrong by having remote positions available huh since Zoom NEVER EVER works?
The explanation is because you proffered a black and white example without consideration that maybe in-person works better in some/many situations. You did wfh and therefore 120,000 people can do wfh.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The explanation is because you proffered a black and white example without consideration that maybe in-person works better in some/many situations. You did wfh and therefore 120,000 people can do wfh.
You are the one saying Apple can't do working from home, yet 5 years ago there was a work from home position - a senior development position at that too.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think it’s funny how some people think that work must involve two hours in traffic, 15 minutes looking for parking………..
The reality is, those are situations for some people who do live in major cities. I can tell you from a Detroit standard, there are people who live literally 22 miles from their workplace, and it could take them an hour and a half because of traffic moving no faster than 10 mph on a four-lane highway, and then factor finding a parking stall isn’t easy. So your edges sarcasm is sorta noted, but it’s also a very real scenario for people who live in larger metropolitan areas.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You are the one saying Apple can't do working from home, yet 5 years ago there was a work from home position - a senior development position at that too.
No, I’m saying apple is saying it wants people in the office….in general. You made the statement into a black and white statement that “no one ever can work from home”.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
The reality is, those are situations for some people who do live in major cities. I can tell you from a Detroit standard, there are people who live literally 22 miles from their workplace, and it could take them an hour and a half because of traffic moving no faster than 10 mph on a four-lane highway, and then factor finding a parking stall isn’t easy. So your edges sarcasm is sorta noted, but it’s also a very real scenario for people who live in larger metropolitan areas.
It wasn’t sarcasm. I don’t understand how the sheeple think that everyone must haul their rear end to the office or be fired.

When a company adopts this stance, and most talented people leave, the company is going to be left with half-witted sheeple, so it will invariably start losing to its competitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: nebojsak

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
As someone who has been BOTH a backroom IT ugnaught and a service guy who around in van with a toolbelt, I can only hope there is more and more work from home. Politicians, useless as usual, have tried to figure out how to reduce traffic. They lecture and lecture people who drive alone in their cars. But they blame ALL drivers in so doing. But what if they people who do not need to leave their homes simply did not leave? Because, yes, when I was a service guy I HAD to drive. As do the delivery people. As do the people commuting to jobs which require physical activity.

All traffic isn't the same. If more white color people could and would stay off the roads, there would be less congestion for the people who need to get somewhere. It's win-win.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
No, I’m saying apple is saying it wants people in the office….in general. You made the statement into a black and white statement that “no one ever can work from home”.
Wait wait. You are saying Apple needs to get back to work because Monterey and iOS 15 are too buggy and its a direct relationship to the work from home, yet you ignore that Apple has had remote positions available for years?

Apple wants people back in the office for only one reason, to actually use the building the made.

Reactions: michaelsviews

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Wait wait. You are saying Apple needs to get back to work because Monterey and iOS 15 are too buggy and its a direct relationship to the work from home, yet you ignore that Apple has had remote positions available for years?
No, I’m saying apple wants its staff back in the office in general because, imo, it believes that in-person collaboration is better than zoom. I’m also saying that in typical internet arguing, one person working from home does not negate that premise.
Apple wants people back in the office for only one reason, to actually use the building the made.
Yes. Apple wants people back in the office because it’s a better way to work.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
Yes. Apple wants people back in the office because it’s a better way to work.

Repeatedly chanting “it’s better” does not prove that it’s better.

Working from home is not a new idea. One of the economic turning points in the Middle Ages was the development of “cottage industry“. Which also met fierce opposition, mainly from the trade guilds.

The industry revolution required workers to gather in factories and offices, because that’s where the machines and office equipment were. In the 21st Century, factories are highly automated and require far fewer workers, while developments in electronics and the Internet allow office resources to be dispersed and accessible from multiple locations outside of traditional offices.

Times change. We are no longer living in the era of Ebenezer Scrooge and Bob Cratchet. Working from home (or from Starbucks or on an airplane or wherever) has many advantages. Why do you think laptops sell more than desktops today? Elimination of unnecessary commuting time, greater choice of meal options, availability for family emergencies, even reduced vulnerability to terrorism…

What are the advantages of traditional officeing for the average worker? *Why* is it “a better way to work”. Beyond “you might meet your future spouse that way.”

Reactions: fathergll

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Repeatedly chanting “it’s better” does not prove that it’s better.
That's my opinion of what they are trying to accomplish. This opinion makes more sense than saying all they want to do is use the real estate they have.
Working from home is not a new idea.
People have been working from home for decades, but that doesn't mean the in-person collaboration is suddenly outdated.
One of the economic turning points in the Middle Ages was the development of “cottage industry“. Which also met fierce opposition, mainly from the trade guilds.

The industry revolution required workers to gather in factories and offices, because that’s where the machines and office equipment were. In the 21st Century, factories are highly automated and require far fewer workers, while developments in electronics and the Internet allow office resources to be dispersed and accessible from multiple locations outside of traditional offices.

Times change. We are no longer living in the era of Ebenezer Scrooge and Bob Cratchet. Working from home (or from Starbucks or on an airplane or wherever) has many advantages. Why do you think laptops sell more than desktops today? Elimination of unnecessary commuting time, greater choice of meal options, availability for family emergencies, even reduced vulnerability to terrorism…

What are the advantages of traditional officeing for the average worker? *Why* is it “a better way to work”. Beyond “you might meet your future spouse that way.”
Yes, I agree there should be a flexible WFH policy which Apple has. Those that don't like the policy can either suck it up or leave.

fathergll

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2014
Can't really generalize from company to company as there are varied jobs, departments, cultures and so on. Apple's culture may be one of in-person collaboration and that is their prerogative -- may have little to do with magically choosing option #2.

And some of it may be influenced by a 5 billion dollar investment. My money is on the 5 billion dollar investment is a factor in their specific policies because all companies are weighing decisions based on their office space all over the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.