Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A recent video uploaded to the Apple Support channel on YouTube offers five helpful tips and tricks for AirPods that you may not have known about.

AirPods features highlighted in the video include Audio Sharing, Live Listen, Background Sounds, Announce Notifications with Siri, and the ability to rename AirPods in the Settings app on the iPhone. Most of these functions are available on all AirPods models, but Announce Notifications with Siri does not work with first-generation AirPods.

If you own AirPods Pro, also check out our guide covering the latest features added with iOS 17, such as Conversation Awareness and Personalized Volume.

Waiting for new AirPods? Find out when to expect the AirPods 4 and new AirPods Max.

Article Link: Apple Shares 5 Helpful AirPods Tips and Tricks

Criss P.

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2020
Unfortunately none is to prevent AirPod Max from dying... I've had mine for 3 years, the ONLY use it at night to watch content on my iPad while on bed, yet, one day they decided stop from connecting to any my devices (iphones, ipads, appletv), did EVERY SINGLE troubleshooting i could find, nothing worked. They simply...died.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
My first suggestion would be to turn off spatial audio unless you want your music to sound like you've had 3 Jägerbombs back to back.

Also the Equalizer app is awesome if you want to draw more bass out of your Airpods since the preset EQ in settings are lame. Only works for non DRM music on your phone.

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Turn off auto ear detection to fix that.

1. Make sure your AirPods are paired with an iPhone or iPad.
  2. Go into Settings > Bluetooth.
  3. Find your AirPods and tap the (i) next to it.
  4. Turn off Automatic Ear Detection.
I had shut it off before, but I just found it on again. Still starts playing music when I put them in. Just tried three times.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I had shut it off before, but I just found it on again. Still starts playing music when I put them in. Just tried three times.
Do you pause whatever is playing before taking them out of your ears? This is strange, unexpected behavior for AirPods and we are trying to figure out why it's happening!

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
Do you pause whatever is playing before taking them out of your ears? This is strange, unexpected behavior for AirPods and we are trying to figure out why it's happening!
99.9% of the time I'm just using them for phone calls. It's been months since I listened to the music app. So the only time I'm hitting pause is when I try and make a call. I have to back out to the Home Screen and pause it. I think unless you have the music app running it shouldn't do anything.

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Mine quit connecting to any device and it is outside of its warranty, so I'd add very expensive paperweight as a tip and trick.

Reactions: Huck

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I use my AirPods Pro 2 for calls and music, no issues with either. What I really like is adaptive transparency when I go to a jazz club and it gets a bit loud. Conversations are clear and my hearing is not damaged. A beautiful thing.

Reactions: Le0M and citysnaps

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
My favorite trick: In the accessibility section you can input an audiogram a few different ways and it will adjust the EQ to compensate for any hearing loss. It makes a big difference for me.
Thats really awesome advice.... for some... better advice than Apples Tips and Tricks

Reactions: Le0M

YoYoMa

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2006
Unfortunately none is to prevent AirPod Max from dying... I've had mine for 3 years, the ONLY use it at night to watch content on my iPad while on bed, yet, one day they decided stop from connecting to any my devices (iphones, ipads, appletv), did EVERY SINGLE troubleshooting i could find, nothing worked. They simply...died.
I had the same issue :(

Reactions: jeffirl and Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.