Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is currently offering its corporate and retail employees 40% off select Link Bracelet and Milanese Loop bands for the Apple Watch.

8-Old-Link-Bracelets.jpg

In the U.S., the Link Bracelet is available for $209 on Apple's online store for employees, down from $349 regularly. The Milanese Loop is available for $59, down from $99. Both bands were introduced alongside the original Apple Watch in 2015.

Apple is also offering employees 50% off various Black Unity and Pride Edition bands, as well as the Sport Band in the Midnight color only.

Apple offers employees special discounts on a rotating selection of products, so it is unclear whether this is another routine sale, or if the company plans to discontinue the Link Bracelet and Milanese Loop in the future and is clearing inventory.

It has been rumored that at least one next-generation Apple Watch model will not be compatible with existing Apple Watch bands. The new Apple Watch lineup is expected to be announced in September alongside the iPhone 16 series.

Article Link: Apple Steeply Discounts Link Bracelet and Milanese Loop for Employees

Reactions: Justin Cymbal

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
I think it is far stretched to conclude a “discontinuation” since the target audience of this sale is rather limited… but whatever…
There is precedent. They discounted the leather bands including Hermes up to 90% for employees right before they ended their sale when switching to FineWoven.

Attachments

• IMG_7986.jpeg
    IMG_7986.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Are we gonna talk about that the link bracelet costs more than a regular dumb watch with a nice link bracelet? Also for Apple employees.
They’re nice well made metal bands.

Compare them to the sport band or solo loop which are rubber* and have a super low cost of manufacture and even less R&D than the link bracelet.

The link bracelet may be expensive but I don’t actually think it’s as ridiculously priced as some other Apple bands. At least I can see complexity and effort it it’s design and manufacture.

(fluoroelastomer)

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I always wondered why it's so much. It's not made of precious metal, and it's not really fancy. Yet it costs more than a lot of entire decent watches.
Maybe because it apparently takes them 9 hours to make a single one? They even brag about it. This is not rocket science and it shouldn’t take 9 hours. If I had more shares I would insist that they cut production time in half so I could profit more on each one sold.

If they made it of titanium it might justify a part of it.

mjs916

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Maybe because it apparently takes them 9 hours to make a single one? They even brag about it. This is not rocket science and it shouldn’t take 9 hours. If I had more shares I would insist that they cut production time in half so I could profit more on each one sold.

Can you imagine going to work a full day and having one watch band to show for it?

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
They’re nice well made metal bands.

Compare them to the sport band or solo loop which are rubber* and have a super low cost of manufacture and even less R&D than the link bracelet.

The link bracelet may be expensive but I don’t actually think it’s as ridiculously priced as some other Apple bands. At least I can see complexity and effort it it’s design and manufacture.

(fluoroelastomer)
I think apple has managed to seriously distort your sense of reality. The other options are equally overpriced. Basically you would be able to find a perfectly working dumb watch in any of the price ranges of the various Apple bands.

I can get a very decent titanium dumb watch for roughly half the price of their link bracelet.

Edit: re-reading your post and seeing that you agree the other options are overpriced. Sorry

BigBellyBelcher

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
The band has a unique butterfly clasp that sits almost 99% flush into the band itself and the links have buttons to allow individual removal without tools. It's remarkably light as well. 316L stainless. Cheaper bands will use other options same with titanium the cheaper bands will show wear more quickly. Only lacking an ability to make micro adjustments. A future option could offer 2 1/4 links for this. Yes the ss watch or now ultra cost more but its a delight to wear it without having any fear of a scratched screen. NOT a band to wear with aluminum watches!

DestructoTim

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2021
Can you imagine going to work a full day and having one watch band to show for it?
How would they even make a profit if it took that long? 9 hours of labor even in a labor cheap country still costs a bit and then they have to add on the packaging labor. Apple then gets whatever is leftover after shipping, logistics, warehouse storage, retail labor, store front and utilities. Plus whatever benefits the factory and retail employees get. Not sure if they are, but if they are sold outside of the Apple Store they have to split those profits with the retailer.

That’s a lot to squeeze out of $349.

I’m thinking that 9 hour for one band quote, is a little bit of exaggerated marketing speak, maybe based on some real numbers and ideas moved around a bit.

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
How would they even make a profit if it took that long? 9 hours of labor even in a labor cheap country still costs a bit and then they have to add on the packaging labor. Apple then gets whatever is leftover after shipping, logistics, warehouse storage, retail labor, store front and utilities. Plus whatever benefits the factory and retail employees get. Not sure if they are, but if they are sold outside of the Apple Store they have to split those profits with the retailer.

I’m thinking that 9 hour for one band quote, is a little bit of exaggerated marketing speak, maybe based on some real numbers and ideas moved around a bit.
It’s probably not a person doing this, but a machine. If humans were involved their marketing BS would also claim “handmade”.

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019

Maybe its this Schiller is spending his long hours on?

Last edited:

ninecows

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2012
I guess I am just curious what types of persons who prioritize to spend $349 on the bracelet for their watch.

I mean: My paycheck allows me to put down 349 on anything at anytime (although not an infinite number of times), but I could just see so many other places where it would bring me more value.

BB1970

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2009
I have the Milanese loop. I like it, generally. But in sunlight it’s very “blingy”. I wish they made a version that was more of a flat matte or even with colors.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

I can imgine it takes 9 hours to make one band. In a factory one person does some operation then place the band in a plastic tray and it goes to the next person. From start to finish it might take 9 hours but 8 of those hours it is just sitting in the plastic tray.

It is like saying it takes by 16 hours to drive to work if you measure the time I leave to go home to the next time I arrive at work.

BigBellyBelcher

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2024
People still buy jewelry and luxury items and some a lot maybe even don't spend much if anything on apple beyond the cheapest Pro iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.